Sign in to follow this  
JojoTheSlayer

Improve CURRENT command AI system.

Posted this org a bit out of full context as a reply post in another thread, but I want it to get a bit more focus.

The current AI command system is functional and can do allot of things. Its actually perfectly built for making voice profiles for example, which BF type systems etc are not. That said I am not against having a additional system to make commanding easier to "laymen". That said the current system has issues which I think could be partially solved by updating the current one with smaller tweaks...

AutoDanger indirect solution [Menu 2]:

Its seems to be linked to some extent to the target list [Menu 2]. If there is nothing in the list the "clear" usually comes just after the list is cleared. I would love to have a [Menu 2] command to "Clear list". For example [All-2-0-1 (To have the clear order on the first next page so you dont trigger it by accident)] Forcing AI to forget about what they know and at the same time pull them out of auto danger until the enemy that maybe ran away shows up again. Why this isnt already in Arma series is beyond me.

Autodanager and the common thing that enemy AI gets away is the main reason commanding AI infantry on missions for many is more a pain than enjoyment. Its also very unrealistic when they walk around in auto danger because a fleeing AI is 1km away over a hill!

More All-Action commands [Menu 6]:

There are several actions you would want your AI squad to do after a contact that you currently are FORCED to do one at the time!

It would make much more sense to have:

All-Self heal [All-6-1] (If they can of course. Otherwise those that could not could just say negative or something)

All-Reload weapon [All-6-2]

All-Switch to AT weapon If you have it. [All-6-3]

All-Rearm at nearest crate, body etc. [All-6-4] (If there is no ammo for current weapon in X radius just grab a main enemy weapon nearby.)

More sensible single unit action choices [Menu 6]:

If you want a AI to reload,but he also has pickup weapon choices. There are loads of weapon choices before reload choice.

The only one that is very good is the heal option. Its always number 1 on the medic if people are injured. It would be great if more "common sense / most likely" where nr 1 choices depending on the soldier.

Example:

Soldier-6-1 = Reload

Medic-6-1 = Heal soldier or similar. (If someone needs it otherwise reload)

Repair-6-1 = Fix that truck. (If someone needs it otherwise reload)

Another thing that would be welcome is a Medic-6-2 = Heal ALL injured team members.

The point of making them be specific and not random is to enable people to remember key press patterns, people like me to make voice profiles for them or people using script programs like AutoHotkey to ease commanding.

My thoughts on this are:

1) Keep it simple get rid of first aid kits altogether.

2) Let the medic do the patching up in place of the first aid kits.

3) or....maybe even a different mode - SUPPORT (eg Safe, Aware, Danger, Stealth, Support)

My thoughts on this are:

1) Keep it simple get rid of first aid kits altogether.

2) Let the medic do the patching up in place of the first aid kits.

3) or....maybe even a different mode - SUPPORT (eg Safe, Aware, Danger, Stealth, Support)

http://www.usamma.amedd.army.mil/assets/docs/ifak.pdf

Most soldiers in the world carry some sort of FAK, and the way it works now I like it. From what I've gathered from every time I healed myself I could never get a full heal from the IFAK I needed a medic to give me a full heal.

I also agree would be pretty bad to remove the first aid kits.It's a big improvement from A2.The fak each soldier carries saved their lives when a medic wasn't around.

At least if you are gonna include the fak then make it at least realistic as far as the length of time it takes to patch up yourself so you can carry on, my point is combat is brutal just think it would simplify things to leave it in the hands of the medic (not saying you didnt patch up the wound but taking that action out might make people think twice/ and or free up some resources ingame.)

Hi, the "Corpsman, Heal Squad Members" order sounds good, it was a pain to order the corpsman to stop and then order each squad mate to get healed by the corpsman, check when they end and begin with another one; it's tedious and this method could solve it, if once everyone is patched and stiched up... the corpsman say "1, everyone up for combat". And the "All, Disengage/Clear Targets" sounds good too; but they should disengage automaticaly in 30secs if the targets that they were assigned are 100m beyond the optimal engagement range of the weapon that they carry, 500m in the case of ground vehicles and 2 or 2.5Km on rotary wing aircraft, always depending on the selected weapon range (1.5km in the case of a 20mm cannon would be enough IMO). With the fixed wing aircraft could be harder to find a right range to trigger the auto-disengage, as they can see booth ground and air contacts and the ranges variate when they maniouver, so it could break the AI mechanics. But for the infantry would be great, ever that the known targets are less than four; i would chase any NME group of three or more men in case of regular infantry. The SFs are main "inteligence" targets, you can't leave one of 'em behind IRL no matter what; but as this is a game... in player commanded units... there should be and option, after all... it's the player who decides..!, you can pee over the Geneva Convention too!!, don't you knew it...!?, it's "just an option...". Let's C ya

A few other things:

1. There is no way in the "7" menu to tell your soldiers to choose an appropriate stance for themselves.

2. There is no way to acces a single soldier if you got more than 12 guys in your squad. Here is a solution:

Press (f1-f12) to acces a single soldier. Press (f1-f12)+shift+(f1-f12)+shift... to choose more than one soldier.

Press (f1-f12)+alt+(f1+f12) to acces any soldier beyond number 12. For example: f1+alt+f3=soldier 13. F12+alt+f12=soldier 24 and so on.

3. There should be a alternative soldier row in your hud which you can activate via a button in which you only see your assigned groups - like red, yellow, green etc. This way you can colour code for example vehicle crews and get acces to them more quickly.

Also there should be more colours for bigger engagements.

4. A commorose would be nice - with the same options but accesable through the arrow keys.

5. The "action menu - number 6" is way to overloaded. It should be sth like following:

If there are weapons to pick up have a submenu to acces that action. Press 6 for action menu and then for example 3 to acces the "pickup weapon menu". Same for boarding vehicles.

6. Possibility to give waypoints via the map

7. Possibility to assign different actions to different waypoints. For example - run over there - get prone and get over there.