Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate

Grenade Launcher sight

Did a forum search for this and found nothing.

The current sights for the UGL makes no sense to me. It is possible I'm not understanding something, but the red dot seems extremely useless for accurately gauging range/aiming your UGL. From testing with it, the red dot seems to sighted at 100m, but if you are trying to aim at anything beyond, or closer, its a silly guessing game of how high or low you should bring the dot relative to target. WTH type of sight is this? Why can't I just have a good ol' trusty leaf sight?

leaf_sight_assembly_rail_grabbing.jpg

If there is an explanation for the UGL sight use by all means tell me, and I hope in the future the game implements some sort of shooting range/training/help mode. Note: I am familiar with modern US weapons. I have used or at the very least seen everything used. So I'm not speaking from a position of ignorance.

I've played with the page up/page down zeroing keys, but doesn't seem to do a damn, and that still doesn't explain why I would use a sight that doesn't have marked ranges on it. I will however go play in editor some more and see if I can get the controls to change the elevation.

*Ok, apparently I had to change the elevation keys from default for it to work at all. In doing so I did notice that during the animation you can see in-front of the sight (barely) and there are ranges indicated, but you can't read them. You have to just learn the positions. So I look like an asshole, but I do appreciate the feed back.

Edited by Chocolate

Elevation change works perfectly (apart from one bug*). The rifle itself changes angle, unlike in Arma2, when you change the red dot sight zeroing. All in all, IMHO it's a welcome change over the non-working Arma 2 leaf sights (which were completely bugged - the leaf sight was wrong on every notch, IIRC) unless you used ACE or a GL leaf sight mod.

*) the rifle with the UGL red dot sight does change angle (and the sight itself is rotated), but your viewpoint doesn't change - result is that when you zero the UGL to e.g. 400m, the red dot is almost invisible because it's right at the bottom of the screen, while your viewpoint should change to keep the red dot in the middle (YMMV). Especially with STHud it is obscured by STHud.

Although, by 2035, the sight should probably be an autoranging one, instead of having to zero it manually.

BTW there are already existing holo sights for the M320 (e.g. Insight Technology's PEQ M40GL)

Edited by fraczek

He has a point, I guess the only game that really did them properly was America's Army 3 (see

).

REALLY hope that BIS adds in similar functionality, because it would add immersion and is one of the "little things" that would go a long way toward enriching infantry combat.

BTW there are already existing holo sights for the M320 (e.g. Insight Technology's PEQ M40GL)

Yeah, I have seen them, not in person. I assumed they had range 'notches' on the sight like an ACOG.

You can google up some photos of the view inside - indeed, there is a holo "ladder" with "notches" from 100 to 360m.

The UGL red dot sight sight -- which I'll note was also back on the Mk 17 (insert sight here) EGLM in OA -- already changes on screen to reflect the point-of-aim changes, as fraczek said.

If I remember right, there's also a fine tune elevation adjustment that's like control+ PgDn/PgUp. I haven't tried it though and it might not be implemented.

While it's true there is a way in game to change the distance that the sight is set for, and even to look through the sight at the dot for point of impact (up to 200ish meters, then good luck looking through the sight without a trackIR); it would be pretty difficult to argue that it's as effective as it could be or that it shouldn't be enhanced/redesigned.

You can't for example change the distance to 50m increments let alone 25m which would be pretty useful in a pinch. And by in a pinch, I mean flipping up or looking down the GL sights and fire in less than three or four seconds. The way it is right now with the clunky way you're forced to use them in A3, by the time you have your distance set the target probably moved to cover or killed you, rendering the 320 very ineffective in a firefight.

This is the current sight attached to the MX series in game, I'm like 90% sure I've seen it used on Steyr AUGs for their 203s. Would be nice if this at least was more functional. Not holding my breath of course...

pJLCvP4.jpg

g0ZytXZ.jpg

I figure that the lack of more-minute-than-100-meter increments is a holdover from OA where, along with the iron sights in Arma 3, adjustments are only for every 100 meters.

Seeing as how the GL sight depicted is extremelly detailed, perhaps the devs could reflect this by adding some function where holding CTRL and clicking Page up/Page down would adjust in 25m increments?

That's an interesting idea, considering that Ctrl seems to be generally now acting as a modifier key, but in that case why not invert it so that Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn is 100 meter increments and PgUp/PgDn is 25 meter increments?

Well, my general idea is that it would be easier to have Page Up/Page Down as 100m increment adjusters along the lines of "large adjustment = quick, smaller precise adjustment = a tad slower". Otherwise it might be a bit fiddly, especially considering that GL targets can vary much in range from one to another.

Either way, on De-heaven now: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/71386

Either way, on De-heaven now: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/71386

Voted it up on dev heaven. Though not a complete redesign or addition of functional leaf sights, it would definitely be a small step in the right direction.

Since Arma 1, and probably also before, the aiming sight of GLs has been useless. It's still a matter of guess what you will hit.

On the contrary, OP - the ladder GL sights have always been useless in ArmA. The aimpoint works as it should: 1) Adjust pageup/down for range, 2) RMB or whatever key is assigned to your optics = fire.

Range adjustment changes your view to account for it, so just place the red dot on the target & you'll hit with 95% accuracy on targets at 100, 200, 300m increments.

Works %100 for me.I use TrackIR so it's easier to look down the sight but I can hit the target.Only problem is range adjustment which is in 100 m increments so there is a lot of guesswork if target is not exactly at those ranges

Voted it up on dev heaven. Though not a complete redesign or addition of functional leaf sights, it would definitely be a small step in the right direction.

https://feedback.arma3.com/ I suggest create ticket on FT too

Voted, but can you update the issue to a 50m inc., instead of 25m? I'd imagine they would just replace the 100, 200, 300 with 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 for PageUp/Down - there wouldn't be any special modifier key, and without that, it would be a complete mess in combat.

Fifty meter increments are more practical for all purposes.

Nope. As I have argued there, and as has been shown in this thread, 25m increments will be A, realistic due to the real life sight working that way and Arma is a simulator, and B, because the proposition is to only do 25m adjustments when holding CTRL and 100m adjustments when not, the maximum amount of 25m adjustments you will ever have to do is 2, which is less than the amount of 100m adjustments you have to do most of the time. If it'd been a matter of getting rid of the 100m adjustments I would've agreed, but not when it's about having both large and small adjustments. In that case it should be done properly, and taking that extra 0.5 seconds to make a 25m adjustment should pay off.

Neither do I believe that the devs will look at it and think "hmm, a quite detailed suggestion that makes sense. But let's scratch the key modifier, and make it an utter mess that people are sure to backlash against".