Sign in to follow this  
guiltyspark

Does anyone else notice how completely different the mouse controls are?

Hey guys,

applying the deadzone was one of my first things, and it felt a bit strange for me too regarding to ofp/arma so I set it back.

I then realised, that, while aiming, if I press ALT (for watching around), not my whole body would move (I thought this would only work with deadzone).

So when it comes up to not being visible by movement (I guess thats also your reason why you like the aiming deadzone), you can still use that function properly without deadzone.

Sorry if you knew that already - just thought it might be worth to mention

I can confirm that the zone outside weapon floating point turns the character at the rate one would expect. Why was it set to a 1000 in the first place? :eek:

1000 means it uses driver default, which is in both AMD,NVIDIA (and I assume Intel too) equal to 3 (note: 0 is equal to driver default too)

non-deadzone aiming simulates a body that is completely tense and rigid whose arms are wooden and incapable of small motor movements independent of the general body direction.

i personally like ro2's deadzone system. the deadzone is focused on a centeral circular region, which means you don't take 2 mouse drags just to turn your body, but it also means you have more precise control over where your rifle is pointed without interference fro changing body position. this is very useful in prone or any position that requires larger movements for turning the body.

this affects animation as well, since without deadzone, your entire body hovers around as if one a disc while in prone from the tiniest adjustments in direction.

Aiming deadzone isn´t realistic, it´s a bad Idea from the 90s that got carried over way too long.

I´ve stopped using it once I got the abillity. With the new gunsway and working red dots, there´s no need for it anymore, plus, it only cocks up your turning. Dyslexci once made a good point about not using it in one of his blog posts a year or so ago.

If you want to use it, I for sure don´t mind, but overall, it´s trying to bring something from real life into the game that simply doesn´t work out. Instead of using a half baked solution, going all the way and supplanting deadzone with movement keys W+D to aim left while walking, for example, has been much more intuitive to me. The new mouse control code is helping making this feeling so much better, too.

To be fair deadzone aiming is the only form of realistic aiming to be completely honest. I dont know what dyslexci was smoking but its not "some nostalgic" feature. It allows you to change your lanes of fire without moving your entire body like a break dancer to reveal your position. Its integral when you have very little cover and cant reveal your body.

There was someone on here that posted link to
. It didn't work for me but YMMV.

How did i miss this thread lol. yer i found a "fix" for anyone playing with aiming deadzone.

You can just skip to the 5 minute mark if you dont want to hear me babble on.

I hope bohemia can improve on it though

as for dyslexi,

His opinion doesn't matter on this issue for that he tries to disregard a whole game mechanic due to it not working correctly besides trying to fix it.

In its state now aiming deadzone might not be a 100% realistic but who is to say it cant change.

Its still a very useful feature and with that fix i posted earlier it really gets more competitive, almost cheating, really

BIS just needs to add a turnup turndown button.

Edited by defk0n_NL

Funniest thing was i moved to ofp because of the aiming system. But while i liked it i find the weapon sway and handling in arma3 makes it less required for a non robotic run and fun feel. I also fiund turning it on made mouse input very jerky on small movements so turned it off for the first time in my opf/arma time

yeah it's implemented poorly in arma 3, i'd advise the devs to study how ro2 did it, but good deadzone aiming is probably an extremely low priority for them(read: abandoned)

1000 means it uses driver default, which is in both AMD,NVIDIA (and I assume Intel too) equal to 3 (note: 0 is equal to driver default too)

I see.

Well tested again at 1000... same results - must've been placebo, but the setup with aiming deadzone set to around 20-25% if fairly usable to me, could be better tho.

defk0n_NL explains the issue very well.

P.S. My Nvidia default settings were "Use 3D Application setting" for Max pre-rendered frames. I've set it to 1 in the CP, will test later.

How did i miss this thread lol. yer i found a "fix" for anyone playing with aiming deadzone.

You can just skip to the 5 minute mark if you dont want to hear me babble on.

I hope bohemia can improve on it though

as for dyslexi,

His opinion doesn't matter on this issue for that he tries to disregard a whole game mechanic due to it not working correctly besides trying to fix it.

In its state now aiming deadzone might not be a 100% realistic but who is to say it cant change.

Its still a very useful feature and with that fix i posted earlier it really gets more competitive, almost cheating, really

BIS just needs to add a turnup turndown button.

I love your fix, granted it's more of a "nice finding" than anything and aiming up/down still suffers, it really makes the deadzone work like it should. Kudo to you

I love your fix, granted it's more of a "nice finding" than anything and aiming up/down still suffers, it really makes the deadzone work like it should. Kudo to you

yer iknow lol, thats why i called it "fix"

to fix aiming up and down you need to ramp up Y-axis aiming compared to x-axis

yer iknow lol, thats why i called it "fix"

to fix aiming up and down you need to ramp up Y-axis aiming compared to x-axis

What i mean by that is that it's not going to replace a proper fix from BIS, and that they should really do a proper one, i mean they shouldn't leave us with "that" as a solution.

I always used a bit of deadzone aiming since OFP. I turned it on straight away in A3, but turned it off again when I ran into the current problems with it.

However, I am actually getting used to playing without the dead zone now. Although, I do use TrackIR about 50% of my play time. But even with out it's not too bad.

Still, it would be nice to have the Dead zone option working properly.

the deadzone in pretty nice ;) you can move your weapon and your avatar stand still. is harder to see you on distance ;)

It was more recent, he openly trashed it as "a feature for those who are nostalgic about a time when the ArmA controls were just plain bad", advising players to leave it disabled in addition to leaving mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing disabled (and possibly even disabling Vsync for even more mouse responsiveness).

It's all very well him saying that but for me if I don't put Smoothing on 100% my gun sight is very jerky when I pan left or right, in both A2 and A3.