Sign in to follow this  
guiltyspark

Does anyone else notice how completely different the mouse controls are?

Maybe its just me but when you turn on aiming deadzone all the way (the way its meant to be played) , it seems like they made a completely new control or mouse input system for the game. I dont like it. It seems like its really easy to say move the gun from side to side , but when you get to the side of the screen with your gun , it becomes IMPOSSIBLY hard to actually turn your character and i find myself actually running into my keyboard with my mouse.

So you have all this really fast gun movement but when it hits the edge and you start to turn your character it becomes really clunky and is in no way as nice and fluid as the previous games.

Why didnt they just use the mouse control parameters from arma 2 and OA?

Why fix something that isnt broken?

(inb4 ITS TEH ALPHA)

Check your game controls and mouse controls, is acceleration on, mouse smoothing, are you using standard alpha or dev build?

I had a similar issue until I went into mouse controls and turned smoothing to 0 and X axis to about the middle.

I think the axis sensitivity is what you need to tweak, a small change makes a big difference there.

Check your game controls and mouse controls, is acceleration on, mouse smoothing, are you using standard alpha or dev build?

I had a similar issue until I went into mouse controls and turned smoothing to 0 and X axis to about the middle.

I think the axis sensitivity is what you need to tweak, a small change makes a big difference there.

ya i messed with the controls thoroughly trying to get it "right" but its simply the code thats different. Its not the same thing as arma2 as far as mouse aiming is concerned

There was someone on here that posted link to

. It didn't work for me but YMMV.

ya i messed with the controls thoroughly trying to get it "right" but its simply the code thats different. Its not the same thing as arma2 as far as mouse aiming is concerned
Seeing as aiming deadzone is now disabled by default, I can't help but believe that they essentially built the mouse movement with the assumption of "fps standard" (Vespa's description of mouse acceleration and smoothing) in and only left aiming deadzone in (read: not-as-priority) for those who still want it... seems to me like RiE's personal preferences had a bunch to do with the alpha defaults (both in this and in the Arma 3 keybinds preset basically lining up with what he mentioned before the alpha release).

Aiming deadzone is completely broken at the moment. When will it get fixed? Does BIS acknowledge the issue? Who knows?

You will have to turn it off until the fix is out.

I'm happy they disabled the deadzone by default. While it made things more "realistic", it also made the game a horrible shooter and plain clunky.

Aiming deadzone felt really natural in Arma 2 and the previous games, but with Arma 3 I have feeling that even if they fix the sensitivity issues you're still only handicapping yourself by using aiming deadzone. The controls are so tight now. :)

The aim is just 1:1 mouse movement, the freelook by holding alt has a lot of lag, very strange.

it seems like they made a completely new control or mouse input system for the game.

Yes it was the first thing I noticed and I love it! we no longer have the horrible acceleration and the sensitivity control now actually lets me get to my preferred sensitivity. The difference is day and night, its just SO MUCH better.

Thanks BIS! Too many devs overlook proper mouse control, i'm glad you've done it right this time, feels great!

Aiming deadzone isn´t realistic, it´s a bad Idea from the 90s that got carried over way too long.

I´ve stopped using it once I got the abillity. With the new gunsway and working red dots, there´s no need for it anymore, plus, it only cocks up your turning. Dyslexci once made a good point about not using it in one of his blog posts a year or so ago.

If you want to use it, I for sure don´t mind, but overall, it´s trying to bring something from real life into the game that simply doesn´t work out. Instead of using a half baked solution, going all the way and supplanting deadzone with movement keys W+D to aim left while walking, for example, has been much more intuitive to me. The new mouse control code is helping making this feeling so much better, too.

Aiming deadzone isn´t realistic, it´s a bad Idea from the 90s that got carried over way too long.

I´ve stopped using it once I got the abillity. With the new gunsway and working red dots, there´s no need for it anymore, plus, it only cocks up your turning. Dyslexci once made a good point about not using it in one of his blog posts a year or so ago.

It was more recent, he openly trashed it as "a feature for those who are nostalgic about a time when the ArmA controls were just plain bad", advising players to leave it disabled in addition to leaving mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing disabled (and possibly even disabling Vsync for even more mouse responsiveness).

His personal views aside, it seems clear that Arma 3 infantry movement/weapon handling were not made with aiming deadzone as a top priority.

What would be really nice would be if there was a key bind to disable it and re-center your view around your weapon. Then you could use it to quickly clear a corner and toggle it off to "snap" your model to face your reticule.

Hey guys, use free look binded to a mouse button (preferably thumb button)

When you need precise control, go free look. If you need to turn, let go of button for a second.

It would be nice if they had a toggle freelook (im sure they will) and the ability to bind a key to rotate your player (x,c or something) that way you can have more control over your path while freelooking.

Yeah i love the new aiming but the way the deadzone work now is completely off.

It was more recent, he openly trashed it as "a feature for those who are nostalgic about a time when the ArmA controls were just plain bad", advising players to leave it disabled in addition to leaving mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing disabled (and possibly even disabling Vsync for even more mouse responsiveness).

His personal views aside, it seems clear that Arma 3 infantry movement/weapon handling were not made with aiming deadzone as a top priority.

To be fair, i would take what he says with a grain of salt, he is also for keeping the hud reticle on.

Because someone has an opinion you share on one thing doesn't mean he isn't gonna be full of shit on other things.

Edited by DieAngel

Yeah i love the new aiming but the way the deadzone work now is completely off.

To be fair, i would take what he says with a grain of salt, he is also for keeping the hud reticle on.

Because someone has an opinion you share on one thing doesn't mean he isn't gonna be full of shit on other things.

Why would you turn the HUD reticule off? I've got a pretty good feel for the center of my screen, but I don't see the disadvantage to having it on.

I'm honestly asking. I didn't play Arma 2 for more than a few hours.

Well if you played red orchestra, doing hipshots take considerable skill because it has some form of deadzone and no reticle. You either ironsight, which has it's own disadvantages, or you have to learn to eyeball your barrel position to hit your target.

I always wished that the deadzone, like drawing distance, could be enforced by the server...

I don't take what he says with a grain of salt because he pretty clearly seems to have more direct input on Arma 3 design than any other community member who didn't already get formally hired on as an Arma 3 dev, plus it's consistent with Jay Crowe's not using aiming deadzone (as I believe a dev reported around E3) as the reason why we've basically never seen it in any official Arma 3 videos or screenshots; as I've said on other threads, it also seems clear that Jay Crowe's personal preferences also had a noticeable influence on Arma 3 infantry controls, both movement (in terms of keybind defaults) and weapon handling.

I'll also add that the crosshair(s) are really imprecise outside of "center of mass at CQB distance" thanks to the lack of a front sight pipper.

I don't take what he says with a grain of salt because he pretty clearly seems to have more direct input on Arma 3 design than any other community member who didn't already get formally hired on as an Arma 3 dev, plus it's consistent with Jay Crowe's not using aiming deadzone (as I believe a dev reported around E3) as the reason why we've basically never seen it in any official Arma 3 videos or screenshots; as I've said on other threads, it also seems clear that Jay Crowe's personal preferences also had a noticeable influence on Arma 3 infantry controls, both movement (in terms of keybind defaults) and weapon handling.

I'll also add that the crosshair(s) are really imprecise outside of "center of mass at CQB distance" thanks to the lack of a front sight pipper.

I know that the crosshair make sense currently, due to those cqb hipshot stances, but I like my games with less hud elements, not more. I like SThud tho, it makes sense when i play with my friends and help with communication. I still think he is full of shit when it comes to the aiming deadzone, but hey it doesn't really affect him since he plays on trackIR anyway.

I know that the crosshair make sense currently, due to those cqb hipshot stances, but I like my games with less hud elements, not more. I like SThud tho, it makes sense when i play with my friends and help with communication. I still think he is full of shit when it comes to the aiming deadzone, but hey it doesn't really affect him since he plays on trackIR anyway.

Unless I've misunderstood something the advantages of TrackIR and Aiming Deadzone are pretty different. TrackIR allows you to move your head and weapon independently, but the weapon's orientation to your character doesn't change. Aiming Deadzone allows you to move the weapon independent of your character, but your view remains centered. Right? It seems like a combination of the two (if aiming deadzone were implemented better) would be ideal.

I think I understand what you are getting at with the cross hairs. With the old style it was too effective for you to consider it "realistic"? Maybe realistic isn't the right word, but am I on the right track? The current one seems useless for anything other than helping players find the center of their screen.

I really think a "pause" and "center" (which would center your character on your reticule, not the other way around) set of keys would do a lot to improve the current system. If they added those two binds and removed the drag at the edge I would definitely use it.

I always loved aiming deadzone as a concept, however I always loved being able to turn accurately even more.

to improve your mouse control feel remember to try set in arma3alpha.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

to

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

to

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

What does this do, and does it apply separately from the existing mouse acceleration/mouse smoothing/Vsync/aiming deadzone options in the game client settings?

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

to

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

I can confirm that the zone outside weapon floating point turns the character at the rate one would expect. Why was it set to a 1000 in the first place? :eek:

I was expecting ArmA3 w/ deadzone to feel a lot like RO2, is that what the cfg tweak does?