Sign in to follow this  
andressergio

NEW NVIDIA BETA 314.21 FIX for lots of problems

I've installed this new beta drivers, and not only ArmA3 FPS received a +250 fps boost, but my bathroom tap stopped leaking too! It ruined my sleep for months, but finally it finally stopped, thanks to the OP.

There are actually several games out there now that can scale up to 6 cores. And many more that can use more than 2. It's not that uncommon anymore.... especially in the future given that these "next-gen" multi-platform game engines are probably going to want to take advantage of the new shiny consoles and their multiple cores.

It remains to be seen if much can be done for this game in that regard, but I'm sure they're at least working on optimizing and cleaning up the work of the threads they do have in Arma3 to be as efficient as possible. I'm sure we'll see some improvement by release.

My apologies. I've seen games that Win 7 actually managed to do a decent job of splitting the load on, but I didn't know there were any that properly utilize 6 cores. Do you mind naming a few, just for my own knowledge? A quick Google didn't turn up anything but a bunch of forum posts with people arguing. :)

Also, you were seeing screen tearing with vsync on? That shouldn't happen unless your FPS is below your monitor's refresh rate. If this is the case you should turn VSync off, otherwise it will actually cause stutter.

I normally keep it off. like I said, I saw someone else mention it, so I tested it. I just tested it again, and I can confirm. I put myself alone, in the middle of nowhere, in the editor. with vsync off, I was getting around 90fps. with vsync on, I'm capped at 60fps, but I can still see visible tearing (granted I try to make it happen, by moving my mouse very fast back and forth)

it is strange...

I normally keep it off. like I said, I saw someone else mention it, so I tested it. I just tested it again, and I can confirm. I put myself alone, in the middle of nowhere, in the editor. with vsync off, I was getting around 90fps. with vsync on, I'm capped at 60fps, but I can still see visible tearing (granted I try to make it happen, by moving my mouse very fast back and forth)

it is strange...

Very interesting. Sounds like it's a simple framerate cap and not actually VSync.

My apologies. I've seen games that Win 7 actually managed to do a decent job of splitting the load on, but I didn't know there were any that properly utilize 6 cores. Do you mind naming a few, just for my own knowledge? A quick Google didn't turn up anything but a bunch of forum posts with people arguing. :)

no 6 core support is fine, but any game out after 2012 that doesn't fully utilize more than 2 cores is really ridiculous.

No idea why people act shocked by this. There isn't a game out there that benefits from having more than 4 cores, most only utilizing 2.

Absolutely dead wrong. Don't post FUD without doing research.

JFYI, the Frostbite 2 engine (BF3) uses up to 8 and it is not the only one.

Edited by BangTail

I've installed this new beta drivers, and not only ArmA3 FPS received a +250 fps boost, but my bathroom tap stopped leaking too! It ruined my sleep for months, but finally it finally stopped, thanks to the OP.

lol that one made my evening!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

The CPU issue is not crippling everyone. It seems, at least from what I've seen, that users with Intel chips running at a higher clock speed are able to play just fine. I have customized my settings my GPU is being fully utilized and I get decent FPS (~50). If new drivers mean I can bump one of the options up another notch then I'm interested. If not I'd rather stick with what I've got.

No idea why people act shocked by this. There isn't a game out there that benefits from having more than 4 cores, most only utilizing 2.

well, arma never uses more then 50% cpu with my core i5 2500k clocked at 4,4ghz. More off, it mostly uses first core to 70-80% and others not even at 50%. In BF3 for example, my processor is loaded to 100% all cores. Games is very smooth with nearly 100fps anywhere. I think we could get 100fps as well, if RV4 engine would be more properly optimized for quad cores. I'm in big hope, BIS manages this problem as soon as possible, i know they are aware of it.

The CPU issue is not crippling everyone. It seems, at least from what I've seen, that users with Intel chips running at a higher clock speed are able to play just fine. I have customized my settings my GPU is being fully utilized and I get decent FPS (~50). If new drivers mean I can bump one of the options up another notch then I'm interested. If not I'd rather stick with what I've got.

just fine for a lot of people is 20 fps, and 20 fps is complete shit for anyone who isnt blind, even 30 is bad. but 30 minimum considering how bad it is right now would even be acceptable. but when anything goes on ingame the fps drops inside that range, or even lower.

and you are wrong, frostbytes 2 bf3 for instant scales fine with 90%+ usage/ fps gain no matter how many cores you throw at it, but only 64 multiplayer maps need that much. also there are source, udk and cryengine to name a few.

I do notice stuttering in this game but only sometimes so I am going to test this new driver out tonight and see how it does. If I use regular vysnc I never see tearing at all although if I have AA turned on it likes to cap me at 30 FPS in most areas so it drops from 60 to 30. so now I use adaptive vysnc and deal with minimal tearing.

it is strange...

You are not alone! Lol i see something like that too.. In arma 3 and had that on crysis 3. This driver made things better! I get the same fps as the old driver but much smoother gameplay!

Edited by Grillob3

Absolutely dead wrong. Don't post FUD without doing research.

JFYI, the Frostbite 2 engine (BF3) uses up to 8 and it is not the only one.

You should have read all the posts in the thread before replying to the one that you could flex on. You may notice I already apologized, and said that searching didn't turn up any definitive answers. :)

I thought BF3 had issues with hex cores when I last played, but it's been a while so that could have changed or I could just be mistaken. I'm not a computer, unfortunately.

just fine for a lot of people is 20 fps, and 20 fps is complete shit for anyone who isnt blind, even 30 is bad. but 30 minimum considering how bad it is right now would even be acceptable. but when anything goes on ingame the fps drops inside that range, or even lower.

Well when I say "Just Fine" I mean average of 50 fps, not shitty FPS that is obviously not fine as you your self pointed out. :j:

All these people so eager to "help", yet no one will post a damn benchmark with the new drivers.

Edited by Fuse

You should have read all the posts in the thread before replying to the one that you could flex on. You may notice I already apologized, and said that searching didn't turn up any definitive answers. :)

No worries bud, I didn't see that post :)

I don't have actual FPS information but I have to say, the new Beta drivers did a MAJOR improvement in FPS, especially in areas where it would normally stutter, like the airfield or in towns.

Guys on NVIDIA try this drivers ARMA III performs better with them and with all games

cheers to all

Sergio

hi I just updated to 314.21 with my GTX 660M but it doesn't seem too much of change and I am wondering its just me of to most of you guys? and the game still stopped working when I am aiming down site ready to fight someone and it crashed. any ideas how to solve it?

fps related we need a BENCHMARK to take those threads away from placebo-talking

Don't hold your breath. I think they're afraid that if they run a benchmark the placebo effect will go away.

I guess too, that in-game benchmark would be appreciated. With predetermined scene (360 degree panorama or the role of the bystander in a little battle), with predetermined settings, except resolution of monitor and also directx, which will depend by videocard.

Tested with .14 and then this, .21.

Exactly the same fps, 59-60, same scene in editor.

JFYI, ManuelG (Nvidia Rep) has said that they are looking into enhancements geared towards A3 but wanted to talk to BIS first before implementing them.

AFAIK, this 314.21 driver has fixes that pertain to Tomb Raider for the most part - I'm not sure if there were any fixes where A3 is concerned.

More likely that A3 fixes will appear in the Bioshock Infinite related driver towards the end of this month or beyond.

JFYI, ManuelG (Nvidia Rep) has said that they are looking into enhancements geared towards A3 but wanted to talk to BIS first before implementing them.

AFAIK, this 314.21 driver has fixes that pertain to Tomb Raider for the most part - I'm not sure if there were any fixes where A3 is concerned.

More likely that A3 fixes will appear in the Bioshock Infinite related driver towards the end of this month or beyond.

This sounds right to me. I've tried this patch and pretty much no improvement on any setting.

it is strange...

Vsync for those who don't know, stops the video card from modifying anything visible on your screen before the screen has finished it's current refresh cycle. This prevents screen tearing but also has 2 side effects:

- Your FPS are capped at the refresh rate of your screen. If you have a 60 Hz screen, you won't go higher than 60 FPS. 120 Hz is capped at 120 FPS.

- Performance hit on some systems.

Remember that Vsync is only useful if you have screen tearing, if you don't, you are wasting performance.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Kemeros