Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Battlefield 4

Is anyone else new here from Battlefield?

I've been a huge BF guy my entire gaming career and have loved battlefield since BF2, which was really the peak, but now battlefield is going in the entirely wrong direction and I can't do it anymore.

EA decided to remove any sort of in-game VOIP from BF4, and that's where I draw the line. Where's the teamwork in that, where's the spirit of battlefield that gave birth to the whole damn series in the first place? Gone, that's where it is.

Can't take EA's bullshit anymore, so I'm here since I heard ARMA is a good alternative given some time to get adjusted to the more tactical gameplay/less crazy explosions.

Speaking of which, any things I should be aware of pertaining to ARMA that defines the series or that especially pertains to the gameplay?

ACRE

Look that up. It´s awesome and I think no other game has such a feature.

Just noticed a thread on Battlelog about modding with DICE team members responding.

They have black DICE logos under their names and the posts are highlighted in blue.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654490208755766

Also... The Battlefield 4 trailer in 1080p at 60FPS.

https://mega.co.nz/#!lJ4U1SiS!QUjb7EUuICwXi_G0io8J3yPRF0NjnGEKdlcyEI9apCo

Edited by jblackrupert

Just noticed a thread on Battlelog about modding with DICE team members responding.

Had to laugh at this

D-O-A-again
said:

we don't want maximum performance we want playability.and teamwork ,,is this to hard to get into your brains....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

(Dev Response)

Really, so you'd be perfectly fine with Battlefield only having 9v9 in multiplayer?

I guess thats the other side of the coin for an over-optimized engine ;)

I was a BF2 fan, after BF3 first 5 min gameplay i was very disappointed about it, i said "crap this is CoD not BF, WTF?", tried back to karkand dlc (remake of ol bf2 maps on the new engine), gameplay sucks, it is a coddish lone wolf fire and jump and run, BF is dead after BF2, i'll never give my moneys to EA anymore, expecially for another CoDdy crap game such as BF4, i'm very happy about ArmA 3.

The only thing can make me to buy BF4 is Project Reality for BF4, but this will never happen, so i will never buy BF4

Based on the spawn points, that's gotta be a joke.

Him talking about the intensity of the scene from the apartment floor where he didn't get shot at made me giggle.

Walking into an ambush now THAT is intense, crawling on your belly to desperately try to flank an enemy tank that you cannot destroy, hoping that you can get away without them seeing you

,or dancing around buildings and cover to blindside the enemy helo hunting you, the one that you can't destroy with your rifle..just evade, THAT is intense.

Your enemies giving themselves away while remaining little threat is not, and the chase scene lost it's intensity when the guy shot it down with a grenade launcher..

You want intense? Use the grenade launcher only to discover that it did nothing and that you have to quickly have to devise another plan on the spot.

I've had more intense sweat filled moment in BF2 that DIDN'T involve fighting because the goal was not to get into a firefight thus making it all the more intense.

Bet the awesome grappeling hooks and ziplines, something actually innovative like Special Forces expansion for BF2 won't be there.

Edited by NodUnit

At the end of the day, all that really matters is what they do with Multiplayer.

To be fair to some of the DICE team that post on forums, Not all of them are hell bent on turning Battlefield into a COD clone

it's just they aren't the ones that have the authority to make the final decisions about the design choices of the game.

There are 3 or 4 guys from the original Battlefield team that are very dedicated to the series and the fan base

but they are fighting an uphill battle with people like Patrick Bach and others who are all about money, acting like

they are rock stars and want nothing more then to overthrow COD so they can score the big bonus checks the guys

at Activision get.

You can spot the good guys at DICE on the forums but you need to read between the lines of what they post

since everything they say is monitored closely, they sneak in carefully worded replies that say they do agree

with the original fans of the series that it's going downhill or that certain design choices suck.

Back in the days of the old EA UK forums, the old-school DICE devs were pretty outspoken but got shut down very quickly

messages deleted and gag orders issued.

Barrie Tingle [bazajaytee] was one of those guys. He openly told people that his comments are being watched closely

and that he had to be very careful what he says, how much he supports the original fan base at the risk of his job.

The iron boot came down on them during the Bad Company 2 development days

Gordon Van Dyke, the former Battlefield 2 modder turned EA brown-noser didn't tolerate

any kind of criticism against the new BF path and had a visible disdain for PC gamers.

Watch many of his BC2 interviews on Youtube, soon as PC is mentioned he gets a pissy and his face

clearly shows he doesn't like even answering their questions.

Several PC gamers who were invited to LA to play the console version of the BC2 Beta got their accounts banned

when they gave it mostly thumbs down for being dumbed down and consolized.

I don't get why they don't even try to get back to the old formula. EA took their shot at COD with BC, BC2, MoH, BF3, MoHW and, by the looks of it, BF4 (there is still hope...), they are actively trying NOT to be BF! WHY?

A good portion of the "new veterans" BF players started with BC1\2 and that is the only explanation that I can think for those that think that BF3 is a good game. Or they just don't care.

A good portion of the "new veterans" BF players started with BC1\2 and that is the only explanation that I can think for those that think that BF3 is a good game. Or they just don't care.

It's the Bad Console port 2/COD bandwagon jumping crowd.

The US and UK forums were completely flooded with them during development demanding the game be dumbed down, remove prone, remove snipers, add health-regen.....nerf this, nerf that...

They got what they wanted and will continue to get what they want. Easier and cheaper to please them then it is to put efforts into delivering quality that PC gamers and Battlefield vets expect.

remove prone.

This baffled me when I played bad company games, and that the re introduction to it in BF3 was a big thing...along with the commos rose that lacked several actual important commands.

This baffled me when I played bad company games, and that the re introduction to it in BF3 was a big thing...along with the commos rose that lacked several actual important commands.

One of the higher ups in DICE actually used the excuse that the Frostbite engine "Doesn't support prone" and then claimed it was too difficult to get working because players keep getting lodged in the map.

The story then changed that they removed it to have a faster paced game. So being able to level the entire map [unlike BF3] but leave out prone so you can't hide from things like passing tanks....

That was on the UK forums during development.

Yeah, I (vaguely) recall the removal of prone being a very overtly stated intentional choice that was supposed to (nominally) act as an anti-camping measure... you know, like how Black Ops' changes relative to MW2 WRT grenade launchers and "quickscoping" (more specifically the "random point of aim once you scope in") were overtly stated by the 'creative head' guy at Treyarch to be intentional differences from MW2?

But then again, me not hopping aboard Battlefield 4 has less to do with gameplay than with how overt EA is about trying to nickel-and-dime monetize it, albeit done in a way that (in the case of BF3) very transparently imitated what was done with MW3 (and has been reused for BO2) except for of course the EA online pass... I don't believe it was a coincidence that a Treyarch dev at one point noted that COD doesn't need online passes.

After looking at the 17 minutes game play video, I was impressed. Granted it looked like Battlefield 3 with the graphics, the movie like action they've put into it made me want to see what happens. Might buy it. I would like to see the bots buffed up to hard as hell. Like they run from cover to cover ans do suppressive fire on the player. But I guess they can't do that on their own. It's seems like their difficulty is one "showcase" mode.

As for battlefield not being the same as what it used to be, pfff... what game hasn't changed? Grab a time machine and get someone who loves playing ArmA and take him to when ARMA III is released, then see if he notices if it's the same game.

One thing is for sure, the music... My god... I thought my speakers were going to blowup. Sounded like they're trying to play the bass out of my speakers and the sounds through my bass. Someone needs to tell their sound engineer they're doing it backwards.

Don't underestimate the power of developer egos... sometimes it's not just money-grubbing going on at DICE, as the response to the FXAA injector and color-swapping (and the "unique visual identity" excuse) should have showed...

Okay... but... I don't know how you came in with that response to my post, Not being mean or anything, I'm just a little confused on where your getting at.

Haystack15, I'm sure Chortles replied to the discussion before your post. It was only 4 minutes in between so he probably didnt see your post until he hit reply. Happens all the time.

In reply to your comment; yes the arma game has changed alot since OFP but it's still the same concept. As it looks BF has changed concept and game mechanics. It's a difference there.

I personally dont know much about BF as I never played it, so I base that on what I read in this threads and the links given. Thats the way I understand this discussion and why old players and some developers are not happy.

Haystack15, I'm sure Chortles replied to the discussion before your post. It was only 4 minutes in between so he probably didn't see your post until he hit reply. Happens all the time.

Ah, thanks for clearing it up.

In reply to your comment; yes the arma game has changed alot since OFP but it's still the same concept. As it looks BF has changed concept and game mechanics. It's a difference there.

I personally dont know much about BF as I never played it, so I base that on what I read in this threads and the links given. Thats the way I understand this discussion and why old players and some developers are not happy.

No difference, the same is true for Battlefield.

Battlefield originally was a first person shooter from the start. It's primary game style hasn't change at all. It's still the same arcade-ish first person shooter that is based on immediate action.

No difference, the same is true for Battlefield.

Battlefield originally was a first person shooter from the start. It's primary game style hasn't change at all. It's still the same arcade-ish first person shooter that is based on immediate action.

I think they've change a bit. Primarily from MP only game to an Action packed SP interactive movie

Calling SP part action packed is a very very long stretch. Watching cutscenes for the half of it is not exactly action.

I think they've change a bit. Primarily from MP only game to an Action packed SP interactive movie

It's a good change in my personal beliefs. I remember playing single player in battlefield 2 for like a month before getting online. The game will be a little dull after an hour of playing. Though it'll be a good thing to still have that feature included still for those who just want to mess around and/or practice something. (Flying, stupid stunts ect...)

I was watching one of my friends playing SP campaign in one of these games, cant remember which but it was an interactive movie. The problem for me that made me completely uninterested in it was two things:

1 - it was boring gameplay. Very limited options what he could do if any, and nothing but a shooting gallery and if any "puzzle" they made sure to guide him through it.

2 - the "movie" was boring.

So if you like interrupted shooting gallery or a bad interrupted movie, sure why not.

SP is straight up garbage imo. BF2 had bots you could play with and that was far more fun as you could practice pretty much whatever you wanted. BF3 aren't even AI bots that can freely maneuver a map -they're actors scripted for very specific (and tiny) interactive scenes. If the player breaks the script or intended action -the 'bots' simply stop working and just fire their guns for show with ZERO effect. It's the cheap,poor programmers way out of trying to develop free roaming, autonomous AI and they should be shunned for that.

Ah, thanks for clearing it up.
That was indeed what happened, thanks for understanding and thanks andersson for explaining!
It's the cheap,poor programmers way out of trying to develop free roaming, autonomous AI and they should be shunned for that.
You're very clearly mistaking the intent behind the single player campaign here, they are doing just what's wanted of them*... but then again, I wasn't even compelled by how BF2 single-player really was just "the game but against AI", so I don't even consider the COD-style story campaign a "loss".

* You really should learn from the story of Slant Six's response to fan complaints about Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City: "[W]e look to what our internal goals were and what Capcom asked us to do and I think we accomplished what they wanted to do - we took the Resident Evil franchise in a different direction".