Sign in to follow this  
stix45

Arma 2 & OA Shadows?

Hey Everyone

In ArmA 2 (Original) and Operation Arrowhead I get up to 30-50 fps when in an area with no forest's or there just really far away. But when i go into or very close to one

i start lagging to 8-22 FPS (Depending on how wide the forest is). I experimented with some of the Video Settings to see what could be causing all of this, when i finally hit Shadows, i noticed that it caused the most impact on FPS.

Here's how each detail on the Shadows setting impact's me:

Disabled:No Lag what so ever

Normal:Very Laggy

High (The one i use):Laggy/Very Laggy

Very High (Don't use this one at all but tried it out.): Most Lag out of all settings

Anyone have a solution or suggestion that will help me pick which one is the best? I don't want to make the graphics low yet the same with my peformance.

Also additional Info on PC and My current Video Settings (For more solutions.)

Computer: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Graphic's Card:NVIDIA Geforce GT 610 (3.1 GB although it said 2GB on the package.)

Proccessor:AMD Athlon II X2 240 Proccessor

If i'm missing anything please let me know.

And Finally, my Video Settings on Arma 2/OA

View Distance:1365

3D Resolution:67% or 75% (Really don't mind the resolution.)

Video Memory: Default

Terrain Detail:Low

Post-Proccess Effects: Low

Texture Detail: High

Object Detail: Low

Anisotropic Filtering: Normal

Shadow Detail:High

Anti-Aliasing: Disabled

Edited by stix45

Graphic's Card:NVIDIA Geforce GT 610 (3.1 GB although it said 2GB on the package.)

Proccessor:AMD Athlon II X2 240 Proccessor

Your system barely hits the minimal system requirements, your GPU being even by factor 4 inferior to what is required. I'm affraid with your PC the only solution is to disable shadows. Upgrading your GPU would help a lot because with setting "High" the GPU does handle shadow calculation.

Thanks and also should i try and overclock my card with the MSI Afterburner? Will that possibly help peformance?

i use amd phenom II for arma 2 last time, it runs fine near buildings, trees and when zooming after i use a SSD.

Shadows on levels higher than normal are computed on the GPU. Lower than that, they are computed on the CPU. Lagging high shadows would indicate that your GPU is the bottleneck here. You might be able to speed it up by decreasing texture, object, or terrain detail, and by turning down post processing and HDR quality.

Shadows on levels higher than normal are computed on the GPU. Lower than that, they are computed on the CPU. Lagging high shadows would indicate that your GPU is the bottleneck here. You might be able to speed it up by decreasing texture, object, or terrain detail, and by turning down post processing and HDR quality.

I never knew that Max, thank you!

I also never knew that. Is there other cases like this?

@Zerged. No there are no other parameters that offload calculation from CPU to GPU on higher settings.

However this short guide might help you squeeze a few more FPS all while maintaining or even improving the quality of your visuals:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

@Zerged. No there are no other parameters that offload calculation from CPU to GPU on higher settings.

However this short guide might help you squeeze a few more FPS all while maintaining or even improving the quality of your visuals:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

thanks for that. Sadly my settings are already at what's recommended in the guide. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC anytime soon anyway. This will probably help the performance the most :)