Sign in to follow this  
Spanky

Xbox controller

Hey

I'm having troubles with the Xbox controller. Unlike arma 2, a3 instantly recognised it and set default buttons. However I'm unable to customise these. When I go on controls and press A for fire nothing happens.

Feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Edit: I'd like to mention that I only use the controller for vehicles. I haven't played a console game in over a year the control pad feels alien. Also I'm glad that the thread has been closed, I didn't mean to spark a full on war. Thanks for taking the time to view and reply to the thread.

Edited by Spanky

Hey

I'm having troubles with the Xbox controller. Unlike arma 2, a3 instantly recognised it and set default buttons. However I'm unable to customise these. When I go on controls and press A for fire nothing happens.

Feedback is appreciated

Thanks

A word of advice: Get rid of the Xbox controller......you're gonna be pwned on Multiplayer. Just use the Keyboard / Mouse. It will take 10 to 20 hours before your Muscle / Motor skills get used to it, but it will be worth it. Also, there are too many controls on the keyboard to fit on the Xbox controller, you'll be leaning over all the time searching for the right key to push while holding the Xbox in the other hand....you'll get shot while looking for the key button to push.

Actually the xbox controller is quite useful - I use it for driving vehicles. I use keyboard/mouse for infantry and a Logitech G940 for flying.

You are correct Spanky, by default it is recognised, but nothing is mapped. You have to go into the controls and map each function individually.

A word of advice: Get rid of the Xbox controller......you're gonna be pwned on Multiplayer. Just use the Keyboard / Mouse. It will take 10 to 20 hours before your Muscle / Motor skills get used to it, but it will be worth it. Also, there are too many controls on the keyboard to fit on the Xbox controller, you'll be leaning over all the time searching for the right key to push while holding the Xbox in the other hand....you'll get shot while looking for the key button to push.

I don't think the OP gives a shit about your opinion on Keyboard/Mouse VS. Controller. He clearly has a reason for using a controller, and that's the end of it.

As for the OP's issue, the gamepad support right now is only partly finished, but there are programs like Pinnacle game profiler that allow you to custom map controls to your desire (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/). They will likely finish the gamepad support as the Alpha/Beta progress's.

I don't think the OP gives a shit about your opinion on Keyboard/Mouse VS. Controller. He clearly has a reason for using a controller, and that's the end of it.

As for the OP's issue, the gamepad support right now is only partly finished, but there are programs like Pinnacle game profiler that allow you to custom map controls to your desire (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/). They will likely finish the gamepad support as the Alpha/Beta progress's.

The COD / BF3 people are here. Where are the Moderators?

The COD / BF3 people are here. Where are the Moderators?

No, the ignorant person that is adding nothing to the issue the OP is having is here.

No, the ignorant person that is adding nothing to the issue the OP is having is here.

It was ADVICE. I didn't say, "You're an idiot for using an Xbox controller." Grow up. The Keyboard and Mouse will "own" an Xbox controller any day of the week including Sundays. A Keyboard will even own a Joystick in most cases during flight. Why? Because the turn time on a Mouse is much quicker than an Xbox or Joystick .... and it is more stable in quick stops while whirling around in circles.

It was ADVICE. I didn't say, "You're an idiot for using an Xbox controller." Grow up. The Keyboard and Mouse will "own" an Xbox controller any day of the week including Sundays. A Keyboard will even own a Joystick in most cases during flight. Why? Because the turn time on a Mouse is much quicker than an Xbox or Joystick .... and it is more stable in quick stops while whirling around in circles.

So what does this have to do with the OP's issue? Nothing. Can you explain why you added no viable help to his issue?

I think you were right calling for the moderators, as there is a user here adding no substance to this discussion.

Edited by Warburg

So what does this have to do with the OP's issue? Nothing. Can you explain why you added no viable help to his issue?

I gave him the best advice of all.....get rid of the kiddie controller and play a PC Game the way it was meant to be played. 95% of the people on here are using the Mouse and Keyboard....he will get pwned, trust me. Live and learn if he doesn't want to listen.

I think you were right calling for the moderators, as there is a user here adding no substance to this discussion.

He gave advice, rofl. Get off your high horse. You also just joined this forum this month, probably new to ARMA in general. You will get crushed here, especially from a guy who has been here since 2011 and the older vets.

There is nothing wrong with using a controller, but he gave solid advice. Too many controls in ARMA to map to a small controller, you will get pwnd in a fire fight with a controller vs M/KB. Vehicles / flying are different, I know a few people that use it for driving. But infantry, you are just gimping yourself.

That is advice, either you see it or not. Good day sir.

I gave him the best advice of all.....get rid of the kiddie controller and play a PC Game the way it was meant to be played. 95% of the people on here are using the Mouse and Keyboard....he will get pwned, trust me. Live and learn if he doesn't want to listen.

No one is debating which is better to use, so the advice is inane.

Get off your high horse. You also just joined this forum this month, probably new to ARMA in general. You will get crushed here, especially from a guy who has been here since 2011 and the older vets.

I'm on a high horse?

It's good to see what "Vets" have to add to issues on the forums.

I'm guessing "crushed" means, they will ramble on about advice that is not warranted.

Edited by Warburg

No one is debating which is better to use, so your advice is inane.

Bye

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Piss off. I use a 360 controller because my screen is 42 inches. Warburg, you are best advised to not consider this individual in any way a face of the community.

As for the issue at hand, I have a solution as follows.

Main Menu > Options > Controls > Controller

From here you will see a horizontal divider. Customizable Controllers which is empty and Controllers with Scheme which should display your 360 controller. Select this, disable it. You'll notice it has moved to up to Customizable. From here out you can go to editting the controls. Currently some things are not able to be bound but it works for the most part.

Edited by Gorbachev

Piss off. I use a 360 controller because my screen is 42 inches. Warburg, you are best advised to not consider this individual in any way a face of the community.

I wouldn't do BIS a disservice by associating these so called "vets" with them in anyway, so no harm done.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Just like my teenage daughter...... they won't listen, they'll have to learn the hard way. I've played many hours of BF3 on PS3 and PC....the Controller is slow and lags, while the Mouse / Keyboard are snappy and quick. I can remember playing BF3 on Playstation with a good friend of mine (that's why I bought it on PS3...to play with a dear friend who didn't have the PC), then I would switch back to PC for a while and the comparison is a joke. It's the Rabbit v. the Turtle.

Most of these new people coming to Dayz or ArmA 3 are here because of the good reviews the game is getting and many are coming over from the Controller to PC. I used to be the same way 5 years ago...I hated the Keyboard and Mouse and loved the controller. Why? I felt the Mouse and Keyboard were too hard to master....but after 20 + hours of intense practice, it all comes natural now and I would never go back to the controller.

PS. I don't see anything wrong with using a Joystick while flying jets..... that is the one area the joystick does well. As for helicopters, Mouse / Keyboard all the way.

Just like my teenage daughter...... they won't listen, they'll have to learn the hard way. I've played many hours of BF3 on PS3 and PC....the Controller is slow and lags, while the Mouse / Keyboard are snappy and quick. I can remember playing BF3 on Playstation with a good friend of mine (that's why I bought it on PS3...to play with a dear friend who didn't have the PC), then I would switch back to PC for a while and the comparison is a joke. It's the Rabbit v. the Turtle.

Most of these new people coming to Dayz or ArmA 3 are here because of the good reviews the game is getting and many are coming over from the Controller to PC. I used to be the same way 5 years ago...I hated the Keyboard and Mouse and loved the controller. Why? I felt the Mouse and Keyboard were too hard to master....but after 20 + hours of intense practice, it all comes natural now and I would never go back to the controller.

...and you still continue to debate Keyboard/Mouse Vs. Controller when it has nothing to do with anything involved in the OP's post. True "Vet"

I will indulge you in your advice just for the sake of humor:

Have you ever considered the OP is playing non-multiplayer? No, that thought would not cross your mind because it is logical.

Edited by Warburg

...and you still continue to debate Keyboard/Mouse Vs. Controller when it has nothing to do with anything involved in the OP's post. True "Vet"

Did you just come over from the BF3 forums or the COD forums? You need to get that crap out of here.

Did you just come over from the BF3 forums or the COD forums? You need to get that crap out of here.

You are really the lowest of the low sir. You are everything one should strive not to be.

I will not waste any more time on you.

You are really the lowest of the low sir. You are everything one should strive not to be.

You just made my point. Before the Alpha release, this forum was controlled under a tight rule to keep COD and BF3 manners out of here. Two weeks ago, this thread would have been closed in a heart beat because of immaturity. I use to post on the BF3 forum quite-a-bit and now I'm getting flashbacks...seriously.

what else did you expected?.. that teens who going through puberty will take advices openly without considering it personal and without demonstrating their ignorance? ah come on

"fuck the police" n shit, no authorities, "i do what i want" etc etc a bit different mindset + most probably an american, so this is hopeless case. just ignore him. they always try to get into such debates, and when they fail they call you out for your grammar ahahaha

in any case, back on topic.

go to controlls, controllers, and try to activate your xbox controller.

Alright, this doesn't seem like it will end up in anything productive. For future reference, we don't appreciate name calling on these forums. Arguments like "i've been here longer" and "look at my post count" do not give you any right to belittle any other community member. If you're unable to participate in a discussion in a calm and respectful manner I suggest you stay out of it.

Spanky, since I'll have to close this thread, I suggest you notify BI of your issue via the Feedback tracker they have set up for us to report such issues.

Would you stop replying please? Seriously, I'm try to read the helpful posts and I keep having to trip over yours. You are flame baiting, digressing and generally getting in the way. Why would you click on a post regarding setting up a controller to talk about K&M? It's happening, it's done. It's porting no one from COD because they are 10-12 years old and can't afford a gaming computer.

It seems like this thread got unclosed somehow that's not showing up in the logs. Closing.