Sign in to follow this  
BorisLozac

Ambience and Weapon sound out of balance a bit?

solution: compressor.

/thread

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

A2 and A3 are really damn loud for some reason, I can have my TV on 1 or 2 and gunshots sound like they are coming from a TV at a standard volume level.

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

I prepared a video to show you what a compressor does. Its exactly what you guys are wanting - not knowing something like that exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuLanLoHlg

1st: till 1:06 original

2nd: compressed

the video example took me 1 minute, without having any control of the original sound files. It could be a lot better. Its Just to prove that thats what you want. Its also cranked up a bit too much - you even hear my keyboard typing noise in the end when throwing grenades and the GPU vent.

For me personally, I dont like such overcompressed stuff... I have to do with this on a daily basis..

and its not just simply "louder" - to be exact - both examples (1 minute each) have the same maximum volume peak at 0 db - thats the loudest. the RMS (average value) is of course in the second one higher.. you may have heard about the loudness war - or not, its this same tool - mechanic to achieve this "effect".

People know this from battlefield and they think its "real"...

you could think of a compressor like a little man thats constanly turning the volume slider so all the qietz passages are higher in volume (in fact in reality its the other way round all loud peaks get quiet and the final material gets louder - but its for understanding only)

here is a stereo hardware compressor if you cant live without compressed sounds: http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_3632_compressor.htm

if you need 6 channels then you need a bigegr or more compressors though...

you could also buy a "soundcard" that has compression and other stuff already integrated: http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_babyface_blue.htm

I know its not helpful, but maybe you know a guy that has struff like that so, in the end you had your own little compression device.. its possible.

I at least dont want to be forced to have those overcompressed sounds like in Battlefield.. its stressful and one gets tired quicker.

you could even route your audio signal into a free DAW SW like Reaper and compress it there and route it into your speakers afterwards... its not as complicated as it may sound PUN not intended.

Edited by tremanarch

Heh, guns are still too quiet compared to ambiance to be realistic, but okay a slider would be nice.

I prepared a video to show you what a compressor does. Its exactly what you guys are wanting - not knowing something like that exists.

you could even route your audio signal into a free DAW SW like Reaper and compress it there and route it into your speakers afterwards... its not as complicated as it may sound PUN not intended.

Thanks, but I know what a compressor does. I have to compress Rifftrax audio all the damn time. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do not think the fact that a user can fix a problem using 3rd party software or hardware is ever an adequate reason (on its own) not to provide a feature in game. Especially when it is something relatively simple.

Thanks for the quality pun. I don't get enough of those. :)

Also there seems to be very little of positional audio in A3 compared to A2, it's very hard to get bearing of different sound sources even with headphones.

This! Even with my Logitech G930's, I have a real hard time placing where gunfire is coming from -seemed better in A2.

Looks like people have different results with different hardware and that may explain why some people likes the sound while others opinion rates it worse than A2.

Judging from posts in thread below people using Creative Labs X-Fi Gamer have no problem with positioning sound sources etc. while on my built in standard Realtek ALC889A HD Audio it's very hard to do it as well as the volumes are out of balance.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150794-Arma-3-Alpha-lacking-Arma-2-s-immersion-and-fear-factor&p=2351762&viewfull=1#post2351762

Anyone knows if a ticket exists (FeedbackTracker seems down again)?

/KC

I'd like to point out that this is not real life. I'm using a headset, and the gunfire is so loud that if I want to keep it down to avoid damaging my ears, ambient sounds become so quiet that I can barely hear them(wind, footsteps waves, etc.) which also isn't very realistic. Like others have said, gunfire and ambience should be on separate sliders, problem solved.

If you can't hear ambient sounds with gunfire at the top of your volume range with headphones on, see an ear doctor.

In addition, the vehicles and especially choppers have almost no dynamic range - they're either close or far. It's extremely difficult to gauge direction and distance audibly. It's distracting to all of a sudden hear a chopper just cut in all of a sudden at almost full volume, yet it remain miles away, and was not heard moments before.

perfect for me (x-fi, good headphones, good headphone amplifier). However separate sliders are welcome.

Slightly OT. Some of my clanmates have reported that they cannot see/hear when I am firing with a suppressor, I'll fire off a good 30 rounds in single fire over a two minute period wondering why the team I am leading have not joined in my fire order.

Only seems to happen when I equip a suppressor though, I don't get the same issue with other people using suppressors.

It's like in a movie where people are whispering some important plot info and you can't hear them and then someone kicks in a door and you go deaf.

I noticed that shots are sometimes unhearable in MP, all you hear is the bullethits.

This! Even with my Logitech G930's, I have a real hard time placing where gunfire is coming from -seemed better in A2.
Got the same headset and I feel the same that I can't locate well where the shots are coming from but this maybe doesn't have anything to do with the topic. I can locate shots well in Arma 2.

I like the guns sounds volume in Arma 3 but I can see why people want some sliders. The only problem is exploiting if it's possible with those.

Would help those who don't have headsets.

Got the same headset and I feel the same that I can't locate well where the shots are coming from but this maybe doesn't have anything to do with the topic. I can locate shots well in Arma 2.

I like the guns sounds volume in Arma 3 but I can see why people want some sliders. The only problem is exploiting if it's possible with those.

Would help those who don't have headsets.

Same for me mate. When i turn on the 7.1 the surround sound one I am not hearing nearly as much surround sound as stereo mode.

Also when using the standard rifle as blufor and spam shooting makes it sound HORRIBLE. Ear rape to it's finest.

But for the rest the G930 is awesome:)