Casdin

Playing Arma III alone?

Hi all im new here, Im interested in buying Arma III but haven't played the series before, my question is that I dont have any friends to play this with (None really play PC games) if I did end up getting it is it just likely that I would end up plodding around on my own gettting chewed up by groups of buddies running around together or is there some way I spawn with friendlies and can just tag along with them? :j:

Hi Casdin,

Most missions online are coop and team missions where you usually play on the same side with other players against AI so you will only get chewed up by nasty AI soldiers.

Also there are many mission makers out there who are making single person missions that you can enjoy by yourself or with friends! Cheers!

If you have a mic connected to your PC and use it to talk to other players, I've GENERALLY found the ArmA community to be friendly and helpful to newbies. If you don't have any friends playing the game now, you will soon, as long as you aren't afraid to actually communicate with your team :)

Like others have said above, don't be afraid to jump in! One of the best things about Arma is the community that backs it. If your new, the true arma players won't call you a noob, or any other insults to degrade you and make you want to leave. Instead, they'll pull you aside and if you have the time and patience, spend hours with you talking you through all the features of the game and how to work in a proper fire-team, squad, platoon and what not.

Playing solo isn't really a problem! Once again, like others have said, a lot of people play co-op vs AI. If you see other people around you, just stick with them, cover their backs and help them when they go down. They'll thank you for it. It's better if you have a mic just so you can chat across comms, but sometimes typing works just as fine as the slower more methodical pace of Arma can allow for that. If I were you, I'd get a Alpha light key and see if you like the general feel of the game. If you do, then give the full alpha a go and im sure you'll like it. Im loving it and wishing a lot of other FPS's are just the same, especially with the movement and stance system!

Like the open poster I also play ARMA3 alone and I am having an hard time finding decent servers to join, most of the servers I join just have people running around the spawn points killing anyone that joins and if you don't get killed then everyone on the server is just at the base messing around.

In the last week I have found maybe five decent servers to join.

In most games you start out alone, later on you meet people and gain friends. Even if you wont its still not a problem since most missions are co op and team based

Unlike R4IDER here which said he has trouble finding decent servers I found a lot of decent servers with people who work together to achieve what ever the server tells

them to achieve. Just look at the game modes and the server name it will tell you everything you need to know about it. :)

Hi all im new here, Im interested in buying Arma III but haven't played the series before, my question is that I dont have any friends to play this with (None really play PC games) if I did end up getting it is it just likely that I would end up plodding around on my own gettting chewed up by groups of buddies running around together or is there some way I spawn with friendlies and can just tag along with them? :j:
Like the open poster I also play ARMA3 alone and I am having an hard time finding decent servers to join, most of the servers I join just have people running around the spawn points killing anyone that joins and if you don't get killed then everyone on the server is just at the base messing around.

In the last week I have found maybe five decent servers to join.

I would suggest checking out one of the Mil-Sim Communities, SRU, 7CAV, MilGo, or one of the many ones along those lines, they do not take any smack-tardation in their servers, and generally have good gameplay

i'm always alone. never encountered the problems people describe here to be honest. gaming is inherently an anti social activity, but big companies want to make it appeal to the mainstream as much as possible so they introduce "social gaming". clans and such are the precursor to this. i'm fine with playing coop with random people. most of the time they're still talking through the mic anyway so there's no lack of communication.

are u a girl??hot girl???if so PIC PLZ...the ill be ur man watching ur 6 24/7 with nothing but my plate carrier baby girl...

Also there are many mission makers out there who are making single person missions that you can enjoy by yourself or with friends! Cheers!

Always. Dozens and hundreds.

There are a number of ways to play this game. I'm there will be the campaign, many more user made campaigns, then as mentioned lots earlier Co-Op. You can also practice playing and getting familiar with the controls simply go into the editor and place a few items and preview. You might also find that you want to design your own missions. Join an online game that's not as not as PvP centric, or join a server with fewer people on and practice. Get some friends to start playing with you or make some new ones.. not every one here is a hole. :p

You can try getting a Alpha Lite key from anyone who bought Arma 3. Everyone got 3 Steam invites which can be given to anyone for free. Alpha Lite gives you access to some short showcast demo, and there's a short single player mission. It was well scripted, and although it was short, it should give you an idea of what its like to play single player mission, and there will be many full single player mission in the final release.

I bought Arma 3 to play alone too. I don't like playing multiplayer. :p

I have played hundreds of hours of Arma 2, and I have not once touched multiplayer.

I have tried playing a bit of multiplayer in the Arma 3 Alpha, but the kids taking it way too seriously (using real life military lingo) kind of ruins it for me. I just spend large amounts of time building awesome missions in the editor and playing with them myself.

If it wasn't for the editor, I would probably lose interest in the Arma series quite quickly.

I started Arma 2 with no friends and within about 2 days I met 3 or 4 people. Then we found 3 or 4 more and well, today we have got a clan with these people of about 23 players. We all still play stuff now and then and we're pretty good friends now.

You will make loads of friends on the chat function (default talk button is caps lock i think). Once you play through a good length co-op some of those people will be your buddies as long as you play along and help the team and don't blow up the friendly base with satchel charges or shoot down the chopper with all your buddies in it. Once you have a few contacts on steam etc you can agree times to meet up and have password locked servers etc.

Yes! Buy it, you won't be disappointed. It can be hard on the FPS, depending on your machine, but IMO it's still worth it. And to answer your question - yes, you can create your own squad of AI teammates, and have them help you and stick with you as you plow through the bad guys.

Even if you don't commit to the MP server scene, it is still good fun because the AI are good and the scenery is great. I spend hours and hours just making random missions in the MP editor, and then just hitting Preview and going Rambo on the AI. Some I keep, others are just thrown together in minutes for a quick half-hour round and then tossed aside.

Arma series is great for that, it's fun. Got one guy that joins me every once in a while, we play some coop as I listen-server host straight out of the MP editor preview function. Super easy, and fun. I highly recommend not only getting the game, but getting at least semi-familiar with the editor so you can toss out some quicky random missions.

Good luck, have fun.

Yes! Buy it, you won't be disappointed. It can be hard on the FPS, depending on your machine, but IMO it's still worth it. And to answer your question - yes, you can create your own squad of AI teammates, and have them help you and stick with you as you plow through the bad guys.

Even if you don't commit to the MP server scene, it is still good fun because the AI are good and the scenery is great. I spend hours and hours just making random missions in the MP editor, and then just hitting Preview and going Rambo on the AI. Some I keep, others are just thrown together in minutes for a quick half-hour round and then tossed aside.

Arma series is great for that, it's fun. Got one guy that joins me every once in a while, we play some coop as I listen-server host straight out of the MP editor preview function. Super easy, and fun. I highly recommend not only getting the game, but getting at least semi-familiar with the editor so you can toss out some quicky random missions.

Good luck, have fun.

This ^^

Since the ofp days, the mission editor has been a source of infinite possibilities for me. The editor is one of Arma's best assets.

Hi all.

I'm a UK based player. I have completed all of the SP content and am looking for people to play with online. I'm not really interested in big milsim clans, just people to play with casually. I have mic and TS and will need you to have it too. 

Feel free to add me on steam if you play and are interested. My name's RixtyMinutes..

Thanks.

are u a girl??hot girl???if so PIC PLZ...the ill be ur man watching ur 6 24/7 with nothing but my plate carrier baby girl...

lol

What the other guys said.You can play ArmA 3 any way you like.Try single player missions first,campaigns(there are some really good campaign mods out there that will keep you on the edge of your seat).You need to find what kind of game you like to play mostly.Let's say me,i'm a CTI freak.I play multiplayer with friends mostly but sometimes i want to play alone.I can do that,it's not the same as with real players but its still alot of fun.Its like playing an RTS game.

ArmA can be anything you want it to be MilSim,FPS,RTS,Flight Sim,Horror,Survival,RPG and the list goes on.

Join a Milsim Clan. Prefarrably some that has own private server ,whitelisted without Casuals. Nothing can destroy good gameplay like casual who just joined and doesnt give a damn about your mission plan.

• Like 1

After years of online FPS play. I've just started playing ARMA online and I am hugely impressed by the teamwork and cooperation w/o even communicating. It's way better than any other game I've played.

Hi Casdin. I have a sucky iNet connection so I play alone too. However I also enjoy some low-level modding so that keeps me entertained. Other than that (and to test out my addons) I like to make ALiVE/DAC scenarios and put myself amongst it. Randomisation is key for me so the experience is always different.