Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Stuttering and bad performance with latest Dev Build Editions, Testing Thread

for me it's the empty patches

still uploading, should be there in 15 min.

grass and roads is safe :P empty terrain is mad stutter.

Heavy fog does this to me, despite giving me framerates well above 100 at max settings without AA. I think it may be something to do with streaming in assets, as heavy fog forces even close objects to pop in, and because they are close they are coming in at full detail.

for me my displayed fps was fine, but I was seeing visible stutter

other factors do drop my actual framerate, but this is kinda different

Hey Leon, why not throw an FPS counter in there? :p

Of course I can see the slowdown -strange, I don't experience anything remotely like that.

for me it's the empty patches

still uploading, should be there in 15 min.

grass and roads is safe :P empty terrain is mad stutter.

I can confirm that in parts around that area there is a fps drop, stutter wise its only slight, hardly noticeable.

But it is only on that type of surface..

Just short of a bare patch,

**Standing on a bare patch**

Standing to the side of bare patch on hard ground

Standing to the front of bare patch on hard ground

Edit: Vote up this issue, see next post..:)...

Edited by ChrisB
Vote up this issue

I just rolled back to Non Development branch, and noticed a smoother gameplay and some missing eye candy (which might contribute to the stuttering in development branch).

They are:

1. The smooth-edge shadows

2. Tree leaves staying on the ground for a few seconds after shooting through it in a firefight

I think no 2 is the most expensive in term of fps, kind of the same as persistant empty cartrigdes mod in ARMA1 and ARMA2. But maybe those 2 are innocent and they are more underlying problems somewhere. Or maybe also I simply need to upgrade since I have Intel core2quad Q9550 2.83Ghz CPU.

Either way, I hope this problem got sorted out

Noticed that arma3 alpha uses cpu for phyX. Would be possible that sheer amount of physics cal. Causing the shutter?

Another possible reason for stutter during firefights:

Bullets ricocheting off walls

I reverted back from dev build to stable version, played a few days, and opt back in to dev build and somehow the problem disappear... not as smooth as the stable version, but at least playable for me...

I only get the fps loss on that type of ground, the stutter that goes with it is hardly noticeable, but it is there.

I will stick with it until the next change, for me, its really not that bad and I’m sure it will get fixed, either by chance or worked through, whichever.

I am not playing missions as such in A3, just testing scenarios and waiting for it to improve in certain aspects. At the moment it’s a playground, with time and the work they are still yet to do, it will replace A2 for mission making, probably.;).

yeah. for me if everyone is standing still, and I just walk around its fine. But as soon as they start moving, shooting, frames take a hit, and the longer I play the worse the frame rate get and don't go up. even if I set everything including the resolution to the absolute lowest.

No other game behaves like this for me. Not even shogun 2 and that has hundreds of AI units.

--Its still alpha tough.--

(But if this will happen in the actual game I'm gonna demand my money back.)

There's a comment by zuff:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4943

apparantly the sound for moving over this kind of terrain is missing. stutter might be the game attempting to get it off the harddrive over and over and over agian.

that's great work. hopefully they solve that for the next build since the dev builds really are smoother(and better looking shadows) than the regular build, except it just has the weird stutter issue.

This should be easily fixed, just add the sounds

Seems as if there has been an Update today but the problem is still there. Dev Build is unplayable.

What number are we on now, can't keep up with Steam, is it: 0.51.103078 ?

if it is then its still seems the same..

I have an HD5770 and there are times where the game lags for me, especially if there has been a lot of explosions or if too many people are in an area. My system is pretty decent I should not have graphical lag like this. Its really bad sometimes to the point where I could not hope to hit a target before being killed by 200 bullets first.

Edited by morthawt

Still only 20 votes, maybe it's this bad on my system because I use 5.1 sound.

Even if it's not so obvious this should be easily tested, just run over a dirt patch (without grass) watching the fps counter.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4943

I'll revert to dev build to test difference between 2.1 and 5.1

I had hoped this would be fixed in the previous update, as it seems like a simple leftout. It currently forces me to revert to the non-dev version as the stutters are too severe. I have an ATI HD5770, just wondering if it's somehow linked? I saw another writer here in the thread with the same card...

gtx470 here

anyway, if you really really want to play the dev builds without stutter you could make a mod with the sound files :P

I never have any FPS issues really with the dev builds on wasteland. But I cant really play that long before servers goes "no message recived for xx seconds"

Never had the oppurtunity to play more than 20-40 minutes on dev builds on wasteland :(

i5 2500k

6950 2gb

I never have any FPS issues really with the dev builds on wasteland. But I cant really play that long before servers goes "no message recived for xx seconds"

Never had the oppurtunity to play more than 20-40 minutes on dev builds on wasteland :(

i5 2500k

6950 2gb

no offense mate but im runing a 5Ghz HT IVY 3770K with 2800Gskill Mem and GTX680 SOC at 1306 core SLI and i do have FPS problems, we all have problems unless you go and put all graphics at LOW

You can keep all the gpu heavy settings at max, only reducing the cpu intensive ones matter when the shit hits the fan.