Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Stuttering and bad performance with latest Dev Build Editions, Testing Thread

Feedback Tracker entry:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4913

AS some people have already reported the latest DevBuilds seem to have some Performance issues.

The First affected Build was the one that broke the helicopter showcase. The current is: 0.51.103078

Here is what I found:

You alone in the Editor:

Everything is fine

You+AI Group without orders:

Everything is fine, FPS drops a little

You+AI Group without Orders but you kill a few of them to make them go into combat mode.

FPS drops, stuttering

You+AI Group with Move Waypoint

FPS drops, stuttering occurs.

You VS. AI Group

FPS drops, stuttering occurs

AI group VS. AI group

Barely playable due to serious FPS drops and heavy stuttering.

Strange: The game won´t recover if you kill all AI, there will still be stuttering and bad FPS.

Conclusion: The stuttering occurs as soon as the AI has to do some pathfinding, I think the problem might be in there. But why doesn´t it recover after I kill them all?

@Suma, do you remember that once there was a stuttering problem with one of the Arma 2 Beta Patches?

You gave us a Beta with an included Debug console to record what the AI does, would this be of any help with this problem?

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/60304#note-54

Edited by Tonci87

Which latest is latest? My game just updated just now, the second time. Version: 0.51.103078 (my latest)

I have the stutter with just me and a helicopter on the map.

My FPS always takes a hit when someone starts the engine of a chopper lol

newest dev build stutters like mad even when it's just me on the map.

would vote, but doesnt seem to have anything to do with AI, although there's wildlife of course.

Edited by Leon86

Unless they've release a new build in the past ~6 hours, I actually had a vast improvement in performance across the board with the dev build compared to the current stable build.

New Dev build from today

Has an Error Message as soon as the Main menu or Editor opens:

Cannot load texture a3\ui_f\data\igui\cfg\nonaivehicles\camera_ca.paa.

It also has the same version number?!

New Dev build from today

Has an Error Message as soon as the Main menu or Editor opens:

Cannot load texture a3\ui_f\data\igui\cfg\nonaivehicles\camera_ca.paa.

It also has the same version number?!

Yup, got that too.... downloaded just now

same here.

anyway, dont think the stutter is ai, just me on the map and I get massive stutter, might just be terrain and the files fragmented because of the updates. if I'm in the map for a while and press restart there is no stutter.

I made a bunch of invincible ai shoot eachother and run around in the editor, heavy fps drop upclose but no stutter, 40v40, ít's just loading the map from a cold start that stutters like hell.

Edited by Leon86

Didn´t steam once have the ability to defragment a game s folder?

If you start the DEV version with -showScriptErrors, you can see error message at game start up. I wouldnt use the DEV version unless the messages are gone and FPS is good at mission start, there could be some very broken/WIP stuff in. Ealier today the DEV version was oscilating FPS drops in mission that was smooth with basic alpha.

Didn´t steam once have the ability to defragment a game s folder?

Yeah, guess they removed it for some reason

yeah, I get a lot of stuttering in the dev build, and it seems to be linked to AI. I had a mission where a heli would pick up my crew, and everything was fine until the heli wanted to land, then it got very stuttery

edit: I haven't tried the new dev build from today yet

Edited by daze23

Air assets always make a chain/stutter, even in A2, this is in MP. Certain AI spawns will bog it down for abit also.

I have stuttering in every dev build except 1st dev build pretty much. Even when running around on the empty map I get it every 3 seconds or so. It gets worse when I'm not alone.

Air assets always make a chain/stutter, even in A2, this is in MP. Certain AI spawns will bog it down for abit also.

there was a definite difference between running the mission on the 'stable' and 'dev' builds though. I tested it a few times

Hmm maybe something with collision detection?

I’m running 103003 at the moment, not updated yet, is 078 the one above that ?

With the 103003 I ran a test 40ai per side, 80ai in total, plus me as an observer. Setup in the editor, each side set with single waypoint to move straight towards each other. Test was set in the countryside near a radio/radar tower which I used to observe the engagement from the top. With more or less all ai engaged fps was 35/40 steady, nice and smooth game-play. That’s the max so far ai wise I have had on the map in combat together. The ingame settings I used, plus pc details and setup are here (bottom of the page)..

May not be worth updating from here yet, or will Steam do that automatically anyway..?

but there is all grass there.

can you walk over a piece of non grass non road terrain without it stuttering? plenty of grassless spots on the airfield.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Hmm maybe something with collision detection?

is there any on empty terrain like that? maybe it's the thing that deals with cover.

On my system it's fluent running on grass and roads, stutters like mad on patches with no grass.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4943

Tested at airfield and FPS drops seem to be soley based on whether or whether not a building was in view: from 80fps steady (no building) dropping immediately to 34 fps (any building). Whether I was on grass or not didn't seem to matter.

I have stutters around buildings, mostly those military trailers and the old stone houses, somehow. Also alone, so for me its not linked to ai pahfinding, always at least. Unless some snake tries to navigate a house :j:

First I thought it was the new shadows on the buildings, but I tried various settings and get serious stutters even with shadows off. Maybe its new texture placement on some buildings...