terox

Add extended event handlers to the VR engine

The most popular of all addons EVER is CBA

One of its greatest functionalities is Extended eventhandlers, Pre_Init to be more specific

This system this is used for the most is the automatic launching of addon scripts without having to create entries into cfgvehicles man class init's

This or something similar to this should almost defintely be implemented into the VR Engine.

Kudos to the devs of CBA and Extended EH, lets have their work implemented into the hard code please.

There is no feature request in the bug tracker yet,or I would have added it

erm , ask CBA authors

What does that even mean?

Why are your answers always 1 line and cryptic.

his answers are short because we all want him to work on the game rather than write long texts in the forums ;)

what he means: On the one hand CBA authors would have to give their consent to their work being copied by BIS. That would be the least problem surely, but despite that it won't happen because the following pattern turned out to be the best way: BIS will make a basic engine that has basic functions, and the community will build on that foundation everything that they need or want. If your addon needs some extra function, you can use CBA, or ask the CBA guys to implement a new function, or write your own addon. Mind that for everything that is additionally put into the basic game, BIS will have more debugging work to do, and the bigger the game code grows, the longer it takes to work with it (i.e. longer time for a new patch, longer time for a new game function etc.), so it must kept lean. Same reason btw why the Alpha has so little content: They certainly have a lot more stuff ready, but they don't put it in game yet because it makes finding and squishing bugs harder for now.

Edited by Brainbug

BI has the ability to freely include and use CBA in their games since about 6 months ago. It would make us very proud and happy if they will.

For some reason the necessity and impact of XEH never seemed to be fully understood or appreciated, but I hope that will change :)

Native multiplexing of eventhandlers in the game would be a god-send too, certainly would deal with several issues at their root :)

(personally I feel that is even more important than pre-init)

BI has the ability to freely include and use CBA in their games since about 6 months ago. It would make us very proud and happy if they will.

For some reason the necessity and impact of XEH never seemed to be fully understood or appreciated, but I hope that will change :)

Native multiplexing of eventhandlers in the game would be a god-send too, certainly would deal with several issues at their root :)

(personally I feel that is even more important than pre-init)

I agree with you Sickboy, because this is more to do with core addon functionality, no fancy models or textures, it is overlooked by many but is probably, infact no, it is the most important addon we have by a long way.

Might allow the cba, xeh devs to concentrate on another project and bring us something even better in the future

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

BIS will make a basic engine that has basic functions, and the community will build on that foundation everything that they need or want.

I would regard this as core functionality. This is a system addon not a content addon as such

Edited by Terox

yes please! the event handlers need an update. let's make a ticket and request this as a feature.

Yes please! Of course this is very important for modding. PR would appreciate this very much, especially our coders ;)

erm , ask CBA authors

So, any word if this is going to be a reality?? Would be nice!

Right ... lets get a ticket on the feedback tracker and MASSIVE UPVOTE IT!

made a quick ticket for it using the original post by Terox. give some feedback so we can improve the ticket before we upvote it so it has everything that is needed. wasn't sure about the right category s oi chose modding, for example.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=7942

Long overdue. Been awaiting official inclusion for like ... years?

This would be excellent! Could it be integrated similarly to the CCP for ArmA2 through a SPOTREP update whereby it has its own little PBO directory. The total file size (even including the functions library) is still less than 2MB.

I give credit to the community; To those that have created CBA, to people like Mando, who have really given to gamers like myself, they and people like them, are the reason this game has been able to hang on for so long, and it surely has nothing to do with any effort being put out by BIS.

BIS gives us the same things they've always given us... New graphics, with months and months of debugging to resolve some issues, while many others just get passed on to the sequel, and never fixed.

BIS gives us the same disobedient AI's to work with; Lack of documentation on their part, when searching for Arma 3 help on a command, I get taken back to the Arma 1 or 2 wiki, because they just aren't much into

documenting their scripting lanuage.

That's all they've given us... Same buggy commands, and lots of them, such as move, domove, commandmove, and leaves it to us to figure out which commands work best for which situations.

We have to deal with trial and errors in dealing with what needs to be broadcast across computers, and what needs to remain local; How to handle JIP issues, all of this just too complex to deal with to create a mission.

BIS relies on the community to do the hard work, while the basic problems get passed on from sequel to sequel... I'm against anyone in the community giving BIS anything; Let them do their own work, because they're

the ones getting paid, not the community. I've seen this trend since the days of Flashpoint; The community would create these great ideals, BIS would steal them, rewrite them to suit their own needs, then put it into

the next game.

The core components need to be fixed, and the community doesn't want to hear promises, they want results. We want the eventhandlers working as they should; We want the Garbage Collector doing its job, deleting

bodies off the battlefield that were there at mission start as well as those spawned during gameplay... Why am I having to use Celery's delete body script? I shouldn't have to, because BIS should have done their jobs

to ensure the community that the frame work is there working as it should, so people like CBA will not have to focus on workarounds to issues that should already be solved, passed on from previous games.

Let BIS do their own work, let them be creative for change! We don't need more scripting commands, we need the old ones to work!

Edited by harold5187

erm , ask CBA authors

erm , ask BIS authors

Edited by Binkowski

Well if Sickboy et al. have given BIS permission to use them, I can't see why they are NOT already put into the beta as default.