Sign in to follow this  
Fuse

Soldier's Height?

How tall are soldiers in Arma 3 (when in the default standing position, preferably)?

I never played Arma 2 long enough to really work on estimating ranges so I need to start practicing. I know I can just plop units down in the editor, and I will, but this is how I learned to estimate range. :)

Thanks in advanced for the info.

Most likely around 1.8 meters.

Sorry, but I have to ask. Are you saying this because that's the average height of a male in both the USA and Czech Republic, or because they were that height in previous installments?

If that's how it was in Arma 2 then it's probably a safe assumption. I know what the average height is, I just wanted to make sure Arma's soldiers were average height and not have an assumption screw me up.

Awesome. Thank you for your help.

Do note the soldiers in ARMA 3 stand in a slightly lower posture than in ARMA 2 in the default standing mode , so make sure to factor that in.

That was the approximate height from Arma 2.

Pretty sure it was 1.6m. Not sure about ARMA 3.

How tall are soldiers in Arma 3 (when in the default standing position, preferably)?

I never played Arma 2 long enough to really work on estimating ranges so I need to start practicing. I know I can just plop units down in the editor, and I will, but this is how I learned to estimate range. :)

Thanks in advanced for the info.

1.82 m according to the samples released.

I'm certain it was 1.80 as well.

I've always guesstimated around six feet, so 1.8ish meters.

We don't have official data for that?

there is official data in the form of human base character in the sample files released by Bis. Read my post in this very thread

• Like 1

I can confirm the 1.82m.

But there's a terrible oversight in the model design; the height is the same with or without shoes!

Then again, they might have some space age super barefoot shoe soles in the year 2035.

I can confirm the 1.82m.

But there's a terrible oversight in the model design; the height is the same with or without shoes!

Then again, they might have some space age super barefoot shoe soles in the year 2035.

A fair point, likewise they may have some 'Tactical Lifts' in 20 years time that raise their height significantly  :lol:

Shit I used to do a bunch of calcs for sniping based off 1.6m. I still hit a good percentage. I guess I suck at maths.

I can confirm the 1.82m.

That is because of how the animation systems is working...It is anything but a terrible oversight, especially since it really doesn't matter from a gameplay perspective at all.

Shit I used to do a bunch of calcs for sniping based off 1.6m. I still hit a good percentage. I guess I suck at maths.

A human 1.8m in height has the eye line of sight (in your case camera) at ~1.6m

In the default rifle-raised stance (AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon.rtm), a helmetless Arma 3 unit is exactly 1.641m tall

HtNPFWj.png

Numbers in the vertex properties window show the X,Y,Z coordinates of the rectangular plane (shaded red/pink) that I have snapped to the outermost vertexes of the model when viewed dead-on from the front. You can see the Y coords range from 0.000 (ground plane) to 1.641 for the vert on top of the unit's head. Object builder's units use a 1 m grid and translate directly to ingame measurements, so 1.641 units = 1.641 meters

The neutral stance where a unit is standing up straight (not leaning to aim a rifle) is closer to 1.82m as PuFu and others said. This is based on the standard un-animated T-pose of the model.

AFAIK there isn't a .rtm in the Arma 3 sample models for the exact standing unarmed/weapon-lowered anims so I'd have to use the older Arma 2 anim to demontrate it. However, the anim may have changed between the two games, and cause some slight discrepancy.

• Like 3