Sign in to follow this  
daterxies

Is my I7 920 bottlenecking ?

Hi all. My setup is a i7 920, Gigabyte 670, 12GB 1600 mhz ram, 1 TB HD and 128gig SSD.

I click auto detect settings and it puts everything on high / ultra. But i get in game and if i fly in a helicopter my fps goes down to about 15-20 FPS, same on ground.

Is my 670 not powerfull enough, or do you think my CPU is bottlenecking it? Will there be more optimizations? I dont understand why auto-detect puts me in a 15-20 FPS area.

Also whats the best thing i can do for performance increase without taking away from to much detail? I love how the game looks :yay:

The short answer is yes.

The game is not optimize.... (<--- this phrase is becoming cliche it's repeated so often)

I'd reduce View distances from default 3800 to 3000. Object distance to 2000. Set Terrain and Object detail on High. Everything else at your discretion. Shadows I'd try at Ultra, it may actually boost FPS in certain circumstances, but in others, it might not.

Hopefully you are overclocking that i7 920. If not....DO IT. You should be able to easily hit 3.5 GHz+.

terrain details, object details and view distances are most cpu demanding settings. Game might false tweak it for you. Set them to standard or even low, this might improve ur performance a lot, and doesn't affect noticeable the image quality.

Look at your CPU usage, and you'll notice that your 720 is barely used, so the answer is: not, it's not your 720 to be not enough, it's the game engine that is not capable of using it (especially using all the core of it). It will be adjusted in the future? We don't know, this problem exists by a decade and they never fixed it, let's hope for the best.

It's all about speed not capacity, you'll have to whip that baby if you want better performance.

everyones cpu is a bottleneck, so yes.

the first core is all that matter, having that said, you need very high clocks for acceptable fps.

check this out:

everyones cpu is a bottleneck, so yes.

the first core is all that matter, having that said, you need very high clocks for acceptable fps.

Indeed, but the sentence is not correct anyway: it's the ENGINE to be bad designed .. it's not the CPU to cause the bottleneck.

It's like saying you have a road with 4 lanes, all the cars are piled to the first, and the other 3 are completely empty because an idiot put the cones to close em.. are you going to say that my car is slow (bottleneck) because i cannot go faster due to the line? Nope, it's because the road i'm driving on is a badly designed.

What's the solution then? Installing a couple of wings on my car? Of course not, it's to ADJUST THE DAMN ROAD!

So to the OP again: it's not your CPU, it's the game, we're all suffering the same problem, and BIS recognized the issue. We can only wait for the fix now (if there will ever be one).

I am not suffering. My 965@4.2 on all 4 cores (ht off) is handling my Vidcard and Resolution/settings. Game is smooth. Last time i checked my CPU usage i was even getting equal usage on all four cores... But then when running higher rez Displays, you can setup a bottleneck by not having enough FB.... Stalling the CPU...