Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

CPU Thermal Paste could be your troubles on Low FPS numbers or "lagging"

As for most people lagging or getting lousy FPS scores, it's most likely on their end...I have a Mid-range computer and I'm getting an average of 20-30 FPS almost all the time.

and thats not lousy?

and thats not lousy?

Are you new to the ArmA series? 20-30 isn't bad considering I have everything on Ultra / Very High..... 4000 on distance. I only have a phenom ii X4 965 / gtx 470 / 8 Ram....and it is overclocked a little.

If I turn everything down to Standard or Low and put a view distance of 1200, then I can run at 40-60 fps, but then the simulator looks like crap.

What I'm saying is that I'm running a mid range computer with ARMA 3 set on Full / Ultra settings and I'm still getting 20-30 fps. ;) Now you get the picture. I have an i5 ivy bridge with a gtx 680 that will be here on Monday...I'm sure I'll be running 60 fps during the whole simulator (my monitor runs at 60HZ).

Get off your high horse.

Excuse me but what high horse are you talking about. I just posted my opinion that this thread might not belong here.

If anyone is galloping around in a high horse, that would be you, proclaiming the discovery of maintaining your PC would have beneficial effects.

Excuse me but what high horse are you talking about. I just posted my opinion that this thread might not belong here.

If anyone is galloping around in a high horse, that would be you, proclaiming the discovery of maintaining your PC would have beneficial effects.

Then learn to use smilies, you're coming off as arrogant. I posted an honest post to HELP people with a RARE issue that most people don't think about and you're criticizing. Let's don't turn this into a BF3 or COD forum, please.

50º in full with noctua nh-d14 dont say trash, game is poor optimiced is not about overheating

50º in full with noctua nh-d14 dont say trash, game is poor optimiced is not about overheating

Did I say anything about the Game being poorly optimized? What is with you people? Why are you all so sensitive? I posted a thread about a POSSIBLE problem with gaming computers. Did you see the word "COULD" in my Title to this thread. It is a POSSIBILITY.

Are you new to the ArmA series? 20-30 isn't bad considering I have everything on Ultra / Very High..... 4000 on distance. I only have a phenom ii X4 965 / gtx 470 / 8 Ram....and it is overclocked a little.

If I turn everything down to Standard or Low and put a view distance of 1200, then I can run at 40-60 fps, but then the simulator looks like crap.

What I'm saying is that I'm running a mid range computer with ARMA 3 set on Full / Ultra settings and I'm still getting 20-30 fps. ;) Now you get the picture. I have an i5 ivy bridge with a gtx 680 that will be here on Monday...I'm sure I'll be running 60 fps during the whole simulator (my monitor runs at 60HZ).

the computer is cpubound, with a better gfx card you will be able to increase quality settings but you will see no fps gain until they improve the engine.

now, about those 20-30 fps.

yes i played a lot of arma 2 and ive always been frustrated as hell because of the same low fps. my main interest on arma 3 was having better fps, which i didnt. low fps is bad anywhere, and to make my point, this is a post i made about it today:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148691-Exeede-rec-specs-but-extreamly-poor-performance-on-arma-3-alpha&p=2339644&viewfull=1#post2339644

i urge you to download and watch the video i posted there. yes the fps you see ingame in your 20-30 range is as bad as the video, but you in particular only notice it in the video because theres a direct comparison. a lot of people are able to notice how bad it is without a side-by-side comparison because theyve dealt with it for years and years, and also because theyre used, like me, to play other games with 60 or higher fps.

the computer is cpubound, with a better gfx card you will be able to increase quality settings but you will see no fps gain until they improve the engine.

now, about those 20-30 fps.

yes i played a lot of arma 2 and ive always been frustrated as hell because of the same low fps. my main interest on arma 3 was having better fps, which i didnt. low fps is bad anywhere, and to make my point, this is a post i made about it today:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148691-Exeede-rec-specs-but-extreamly-poor-performance-on-arma-3-alpha&p=2339644&viewfull=1#post2339644

i urge you to download and watch the video i posted there. yes the fps you see ingame in your 20-30 range is as bad as the video, but you in particular only notice it in the video because theres a direct comparison. a lot of people are able to notice how bad it is without a side-by-side comparison because theyve dealt with it for years and years, and also because theyre used, like me, to play other games with 60 or higher fps.

My advice: Get another job (part time) save up your money and buy a Xeon with a Titan. Case closed.

Then learn to use smilies, you're coming off as arrogant. I posted an honest post to HELP people with a RARE issue that most people don't think about and you're criticizing. Let's don't turn this into a BF3 or COD forum, please.

I don't think there are any smilies related to my first 2 posts and I try my best to make my posts as formal as possible.

Try not to be so easily offended as many in this forum, including me, are not native english speakers and sometimes our point might not get translated right.

It's one of the reasons that I use a formal way to respond.

Closing, sorry if you feel offended but just expressing my opinion. :)

I don't think there are any smilies related to my first 2 posts and I try my best to make my posts as formal as possible.

Try not to be so easily offended as many in this forum, including me, are not native english speakers and sometimes our point might not get translated right.

It's one of the reasons that I use a formal way to respond.

Closing, sorry if you feel offended but just expressing my opinion. :)

I'm not "offended", it sounded like you were "offended." But, when someone on the forum keeps posting over and over again "This post doesn't belong here, not everyone should post something when they fix their computer"....then I'm going to take you to task and set you straight ;) It comes off as Arrogant to lecture me on "what is relevant and what isn't" especially with something as rare as CPU Thermal Paste.

My advice: Get another job (part time) save up your money and buy a Xeon with a Titan. Case closed.

i could buy both right now, but i think it would be retarded to do so because of 1 game, since im completely fine with the 200+ others i own, playing all of them with above 50 fps. and the funny thing is, there are people with xeons and titans that have the same exact problem so the joke is still on you. ive even considered getting dual xeons for 3d rendering but guess what, even though they would be a lot more reliable, they would be slower while costing something like 6 times more.

but anyway, since you didnt counter argument anything that ive said i guess you understood and agreed, so were good.

Edited by white

i could buy both right now, but i think it would be retarded to do so because of 1 game, since im completely fine with the 200+ others i own, playing all of them with above 50 fps. and the funny thing is, there are people with xeons and titans that have the same exact problem so the joke is still on you. ive even considered getting dual xeons for 3d rendering but guess what, even though they would be a lot more reliable, they would be slower while costing something like 6 times more.

but anyway, since you didnt counter argument anything that ive said i guess you understood and agreed, so were good.

I can remember when BF3 was coming out and all the COD fanboy's had nothing good to say about BF3...they would post everywhere they could to disparage DICE and EA at every turn. You're starting to sound like that at this time. Look, ArmA 3 is in "ALPHA" testing...it's not the FINAL release. Also, if you've got the money but won't upgrade because "I'm not going to upgrade for one game", then why do you keep complaining? I'm being as polite as I can be here (I'm not going to turn this fine forum into a COD or BF3 forum)....but if you don't like ArmA 3 or it's frame rate in Alpha, then go back and play your other 200 + kiddie games.

Calm down :)

I think that everyone that is raging with arma 3 , is mainly motivated by liking the game ... or else they wouldn't complain , they would just move on.

Alpha means that it's a work in progress , players should be encouraged to inform the developers of the problems, that's why it's alpha testing.

So ppl should complain about bugs and problems with alphas , the excuse " it's an alpha" is in fact valid , cause of that , an alpha is bound to have problems , and we the users are bound to point devs in that direction.

Now with that said , I also fell I have low fps in multiplayer , I also fell like many others that the game is underoptimized , and looking at my time with arma2 ... I also have some fears about it.

I didn't post it cause when I came to the forum I saw a sticky with numerous posts with ppl with the same spec and problems ... that posting " I also have this " seemed redundant since it was already more than reported.

I understand those that rage about fps , but I advise you to understand it's an alpha , and it's a more than reported case, at best post on the sticky if you have new data. I think bohemia is already on it , and I hope ( as we all do ) that the game goes through a severe optimization.

I also understand those that love the game and dislike all this rage directed to their game , but they have to understand the game is in alpha , this means users are encouraged to report their problems , so the game gets polished to the point it's a successful and smooth release.

So .. We'r all on the same team ;)

I'm currently having some fps problems and I'm certain it's not connected with my hw but mainly to arma3 inability to use it at this point , I would like them to go away ... I will continue to play arma 3 even with low fps cause ... just because we all know it's that good ;P

But yeah , anyone that is having low fps ... ask yourself "What temp is my cpu ?" ... if you don't know the answer get this HWmonitor and use it to check your temps.

I can remember when BF3 was coming out and all the COD fanboy's had nothing good to say about BF3...they would post everywhere they could to disparage DICE and EA at every turn. You're starting to sound like that at this time. Look, ArmA 3 is in "ALPHA" testing...it's not the FINAL release. Also, if you've got the money but won't upgrade because "I'm not going to upgrade for one game", then why do you keep complaining? I'm being as polite as I can be here (I'm not going to turn this fine forum into a COD or BF3 forum)....but if you don't like ArmA 3 or it's frame rate in Alpha, then go back and play your other 200 + kiddie games.

because of your fanboy attitude that plagues a parcel of consumers and makes them blind, this issue wasnt addressed in arma 2 and ppl had to live with bad fps for years. and just now, maybe, on arma 3, it might be addressed, because there are enough complaints for them to recognize this as an serious issue. and not because of people like you.

be the sixth to vote it down:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

Edited by white

my game was stuttering like mad, but it was the dev build.

Lol Rehtus just chillax mate.

;) chillax?...... I like that...thanks. "I'm chillin' like Bob Dylan." See you on the battlefield.

A lot of the new players don't seem too familiar with PC gaming. It's kind of surprising, scratch that, it's flat out silly how often dust or old thermal compound is the culprit when people see heavy stuttering after playing a certain amount of time. Sure, won't help many, but someone might see it and discover they just need to do some basic maintenance. Who's it hurting?

Not sure why anyone got worked up. If you're really worried about posts like these cluttering up the forums then stop bumping it. :j:

Edited by Fuse

A lot of the new players don't seem too familiar with PC gaming. It's kind of surprising, scratch that, it's flat out silly how often dust or old thermal compound is the culprit when people see heavy stuttering after playing a certain amount of time. Sure, won't help many, but someone might see it and discover they just need to do some basic maintenance. Who's it hurting?

Not sure why anyone got worked up. If you're really worried about posts like these cluttering up the forums then stop bumping it. :j:

+1. Good points. I never really wanted this thread to turn into a debate....I was just pointing out a truism about what I went through two days ago and was trying to help people....that was all.:p But you're right, I'm done bumping this thread. I'm sorry I got a little testy with people..... from now on I'll just 'grin and bear it' and say "Thank you for your input."

Got the same problem with the dev build ... CPU at a max of 39C, GPU = 63C

Yeah it has something to do with the thermal paste.. lol this thread

Ok, I can't resist....one last time to clear things up. Dwaight, you need to read all the posts in succession. I never said anything about the CPU Thermal Paste being the cause of MOST of the "lag" people are experiencing .....I stated that it was most likely under-powered CPU's being the culprit (unless you're trying out the Beta Dev. build...that is another whole animal to deal with). I don't have a high end CPU yet, so I can't say if the low fps people are experiencing is because of Game Logic / Programming or weak Computer Hardware. My whole point of the thread was to say that some computers out there could be "lagging" because the CPU is overheating.... ArmA 3 is CPU orientated and you need a high end CPU / GPU to run everything on Ultra with view distance of 12000. That is all. Thanks for the response, tho. :D

Edited by rehtus777

Pffhahahahha

ArmA 3 is CPU orientated and you need a high end CPU / GPU to run everything on Ultra with view distance of 12000. That is all. Thanks for the response, tho. :D

Given the current optimization, I don't think a CPU exists that could run ArmA 3 at those settings playably...

@ Rehtus777 - Good info, and something to think about for any gamers with old rigs. Thanks for sharing bud.

Ignore these idiots, they've been a part of the community for 5 minutes and they're acting as if the forums are there own, and you're littering them. This forums has VERY strict rules on what can be posted, where, and why - these are enforced by the BI Forum MODERATORS, at the end of the day THEY decide what's good and what's not and if something is not to taste they will (without a doubt) let you know. We don't need little wanna-be moderators running around making completely destructive comments and trying to put people down.