Sign in to follow this  
BorisLozac

So confusing for a new player..

This multiplayer is very confusing for me right now, never played Arma before and it's really not user friendly. I pop in multiplayer matches and have no idea what to do, what's the objective, who's the enemy, nothing.. I just randomly roam and get killed.

Is this just the way it is, or am I missing something? Any help is apreciated..

Some missions will have the mission objectives/briefing showing when you press 'M'

Also, learn the uniforms, both in colour and by shape.

You can also tag along with another player, at least then if you die you don't die alone ;) (But in reality you should be tagging with others anyway as its a team-game)

If you're still unsure just ask within the game what the objective is, you will find some helpful players who will tell you (ok, they won't be in every server, but they exist)

Some missions will have the mission objectives/briefing showing when you press 'M'

Also, learn the uniforms, both in colour and by shape.

You can also tag along with another player, at least then if you die you don't die alone ;) (But in reality you should be tagging with others anyway as its a team-game)

If you're still unsure just ask within the game what the objective is, you will find some helpful players who will tell you (ok, they won't be in every server, but they exist)

I can't find it, I can only see 3 boxes at the top with Arma3's map. In ArmA2 there was a briefing panel on the side and the server menu and such. Where is all that?

This multiplayer is very confusing for me right now, never played Arma before and it's really not user friendly. I pop in multiplayer matches and have no idea what to do, what's the objective, who's the enemy, nothing.. I just randomly roam and get killed.

Is 1this just the way it is, or am I missing something? Any help is apreciated..

Not a good place for a new player; it's a raw alpha --big wild-west show on mp missions.

Use the editor, place a soldier at the airbase, hit PREVIEW, and spawn into an empty world.

GL!

idem- the common game modes do have walk-thrus. Look in the 'user mission' threads for more info.

Edited by Ratszo

Use the editor, place a soldier at the airbase, hit PREVIEW, and spawn into an empty world.

That's the most sattisfying thing for me right now, and what's the deal with multiplayer and huge frame drops? It can't be that all of you people enjoy this 15-20fps experience, and it also can't be that all of you have i7, Titan cards and 32gb of ram.

Heck I'm running on a i5 with 2 Geforce gtx 295's and I can pull decent frames. Look into the startup parameters and you can usually squeeze a little more out of what your getting. Until it is more optimized though, you may have to forfit some of the eye candy. Like ATOC and view distance.

That's the most sattisfying thing for me right now, and what's the deal with multiplayer and huge frame drops? It can't be that all of you people enjoy this 15-20fps experience, and it also can't be that all of you have i7, Titan cards and 32gb of ram.
Simple: unfortunately there's no dedicated server binary (an "arma3server.exe") so right now people are running the game with the -server command line option to force the game into server mode. Unfortunately sometimes (a lot of the time?) it's done on the very same computer that they're playing from which isn't necessarily up to the task of trying to host these big missions/matches...

Ever play a COD match on consoles with the host having a really bad connection?

First thing u should do, is playing all show cases (4 singleplayer scenarios) present in the game. Try to complete at least few, infantry show case is most important, to learn how to play arma, how to move/shoot, how your allies look, how enemies look etc. Then u want to try editor, just double click on map anywhere u want and press preview. It will be a lot easier for you, if you know the island a bit, since it's not battlefield, where you do learn of most maps after 1 play already.

After that, you could try to play some multiplayer. A good start is, to use filter function in mulitplayer menu, and choose "cooperative" from mission types. There you will be playing with people against bots, and may want to ask some basic questions, most people will be glad to help.

After you got familiar with coop, you could try ur luck at PvP missions, choose "death match" in multiplayer menu filter. Usually there are player versus player missions, no bots. Or all versus all.

There is a very popular mission, called "wasteland", where 3 teams (blue, red, green) try to survive in post apocalyptic world. Joining blue or red, is for team play, joining green team means, you against everyone.

Just don't get lost, start somewhere, and you will be getting familiar with arma anyway. It will take some time, but believe me, you will be enjoying arma for good.

About optimization, turn you fraps on, set everything on very low, then play a bit. If your frames are ok. 40-60 fps, then you can set everything to low, then normal/default etc. Just try to find where game looks good and yet it has good frames. If you have bad performance on very low/low, it will be a good advise to upgrade your computer. Arma 3 is more cpu/ram hungry, your gpu can be mid-end.

Edited by NeuroFunker

When I got Arma 2 I felt the exact same way, but I found a game mode I liked (Warfare) and then wasn't afraid to ask questions on side chat.

Made friends with people within days that I still play Arma with now.

Just ask questions and be willing to follow someone else's lead! :-D