SFG

Invasion 1944 V3.0

I am curious, with the new engine will it be possible to have limb severing? For example, a mortar lands by a soldier. He is dead yet not a scratch mark is on him except some bleeding. It would just add a bit more "fear" of having your hand blown off.

I am curious, with the new engine will it be possible to have limb severing? For example, a mortar lands by a soldier. He is dead yet not a scratch mark is on him except some bleeding. It would just add a bit more "fear" of having your hand blown off.

We've looked at this time and time again, there are ways of doing it since OPF but none are setup or supported and it would mostly have to be achieved through trickery. Other than the visual it doesn't actually add any elements to the game, any players injured to that degree would have to die pretty much immediately after as otherwise it would interfere with basic functionality such as moving or using a gun/vehicle. So ultimately it would just be a lot of work to have some bodies missing a few limbs and of course any extra load in rendering those severed limbs as they bounce around the world. So I wouldn't expect to see the feature anytime soon sorry.

Operation Husky is something we've considered though I think mainland Italy is starting to look more likely as our initial landscape but its still very early days so we haven't dismissed the possibility yet!

We've looked at this time and time again, there are ways of doing it since OPF but none are setup or supported and it would mostly have to be achieved through trickery. Other than the visual it doesn't actually add any elements to the game, any players injured to that degree would have to die pretty much immediately after as otherwise it would interfere with basic functionality such as moving or using a gun/vehicle. So ultimately it would just be a lot of work to have some bodies missing a few limbs and of course any extra load in rendering those severed limbs as they bounce around the world. So I wouldn't expect to see the feature anytime soon sorry.

Operation Husky is something we've considered though I think mainland Italy is starting to look more likely as our initial landscape but its still very early days so we haven't dismissed the possibility yet!

So, will we still get the full German forces? Also with the new equipment system could we get parachutes as an actual item we put on? Its a bit annoying to see a soldier without a parachute suddenly float down with one (Before being cut down by an MG42 mounted on a road) So, far I am very impressed with the progress. :D

Yep Italy would be nice. My Grandfather faught in Italy for a bit before going into Europe. He was a Ranger. He was in the rainbow division. ;) Proud of my papa and miss him very much. Sad thing is he didnt start telling stories about it till right before he passed. A doctor told him if you dont tell you grandchildren who will. He was in on the consintration camp capture..... I think it was call dresden?!? I'm not sure. Anyways it was the biggest and obviously changed him forever. Anyways sorry for babbling about my Papa. I hope you guys get paid some where down the road. I loved I44 all the way through OFP. Thanks for your hard work, and looking foward to more. Hopefully this time around I'll actually try and release some missions. Now that my Boy is old enough to help it may be possible. :D Thanks again!

P.S. I read some of the comments. lol I love your guys attitude. VERY GOOD! Your top notch! :) Again Thank you! :)

You know what would be intresting part of war to cover? Winter War. (Obviously I say this because I'm from Finland myself)

You guys already made winter map for ArmA 2, maybe you could utilize some of those assets to make a map taking place in Finland during Soviet attack? :3

(Heck, I'll be happy with italy, just give me quality (not quantity) stuff and I'll be more than satisfied!)

You guys have done a great job since OFP days, oh how I miss the Glider tho, it was one hell of a fun thing in the initial I44 release :D

So, will we still get the full German forces?

As said before not all content is really of good enough quality to port to A3 so some units will make it and some won't while others may get updated later down the line after an intial A2>A3 port. Its still too early to know exactly what will be focused on and what won't make the cut, but we're already developing new models to replace some of the older units expect more news on that front soon.

with the new equipment system could we get parachutes as an actual item we put on? Its a bit annoying to see a soldier without a parachute suddenly float down with one

From what I know of A3 parachutes aren't yet handled any differently, if you're in an air vehicle and eject you'll probably get a chute. Whether this could be linked to an actual object or backpack I can't say as its not something we've looked into yet as the air portion of the beta still isn't fully implemented and without some examples and documentation we are limited in what we can do.

You know what would be intresting part of war to cover? Winter War.

As this is an area we've already covered quite extensively in A2 I doubt we'll hit on it again for a while in A3, the extra different content it requires in not only textures and foliage but also uniforms means its an unlikely one for now I'm afraid (especially the soviet side).

oh how I miss the Glider tho, it was one hell of a fun thing in the initial I44 release

Well cheer up as we have both a Waco and Horsa glider coming in with 2.7 Yac's done a beautiful set of models which Gnat is incorporating into his 2.7 plane overhaul work :)

Air you going to support air combat? If so I'd like to build a Messerschmitt Bf-109G and K and the Focke Wulf Fw-190A, F and D variants.

When you say that the Arma 2 content is being ported to Arma 3, does that mean the exact versions of the game models are being used, or polished versions of the Arma 2 models? I would prefer polished models to fit the new game's quality, but I assume you guys will be improving textures on all, if not most of the soldiers, planes, tanks, and maps. I appreciate your dedicated work! :D

Air you going to support air combat?

As always we'll endeavour to cover as much of the war as we can create content for so if you really want to see something the best way is to help us make it! We currently have a very large plane overhaul due for 2.7, so we're hoping a lot of the scripts will move over to A3. Only a selection of the planes that are of good enough quality will be ported while a lot of the old models and loaned models will most likely be cut.

When you say that the Arma 2 content is being ported to Arma 3, does that mean the exact versions of the game models are being used, or polished versions of the Arma 2 models?

If it were a matter of plugging models straight into A3 the mod would already be done. To get content to work in the new engine there is a lot of work that has to be done for them to work at a basic level, and a lot of work to use all the new features such as clothing, vests, helmets. So any content that has to be ported will have to go through a few stages which will include some basic improvements and remodelling where appropriate/possible, this wasn't possible with the A2 version which is why some old units and weapons don't take full advantage of graphical shaders and so on. This time round we are very much doing a rebuild from the ground up to ensure these features and effects are applied from the get go so we don't constantly have to play catch up to the technology available.

hey i44 team,

I got some tips too tell about ww2

1. remember the c-47 didn't use the black/white stripes during the invasion of italy

2. the 101st airborne didn't fight during the invasion of italy

3. the jeep willys has a soft top that can be taken off ( never saw a jeep in arma 2 or arma or ofp that had the roof up )

4. the us airborne ( wearing the M42 ) DID NOT had the green knee and elbow pads during hte invasion of italy

5. I really really really missed the Military Police in A1 A2 and OFP ( units, jeep and Harley davidson liberator )

6. the Sten MK. II and Sten MK IV can have a bayonet not that they had any use but if the rifleman had the order to fix bajonet the men with the Sten had too fix bajonets too

7. the US airborne had a camoflouged parachute and a white reserve the British airborne had a beige parachute and NO reserve

8. the c-47 had 2 seats behind the pilot and co-pilot for the navigator and radio operator

BR

Rob

Yeah looking forword to see this awesome mod in A3. Could the german units get a bit more details this time? I think with the new gear system it would be very nice.

I got some tips too tell about ww2

Cheers, we will be looking to match as many as possible details as we can find reference for, although sometimes we may have to bend reality a little to help widen the scope and use of our units and what is actually possible to produce in the time available :)

Will we see an open testing release of the A3 version?

The only reason we don't already do this is our production method doesn't really allow for it and theres not been an easy way to distribute and document it for A2, though with things like Play withSix making it a lot easier and with future features coming to support development builds and so on hopefully we can do a much more open development so content gets released sooner rather than held back by unrelated issues. So fingers crossed yes.

Could the german units get a bit more details this time?

The german infantry were a direct port from ArmA1 to ArmA2 model wise so we're not sure at this stage whether we'll be porting them again to A3 with updates or just starting from scratch, either way they should look a fair bit prettier :)

are you guys planning to have I44 ALPHA on ArmA III ALPHA and maybe even I44 BETA on ArmA III BETA and the full I44 MOD on the full ArmA III MOD or is the ALpha version going to be released way after the Arma III alpha so that you guys can take your time and be moer accurate.

BR

Rob

Really too early days to say, we're in no rush to get anything out, there's still plenty of work and content coming to the A2 version, as always we'll say it'll be ready when its ready, wouldn't expect that to happen before 2.7's release on A2. Its doubtful much will get added once we're into beta regarding A3 so by then we'll hopefully have all the tools and documentation required to make use of most features. What we don't want to do is get too far ahead of ourselves then have to go back over reworking old content.

Wouldn't the invasion of Italy, Crete be a better way to go with A3 and keep the western front to A2? Could even cram a bit of North Africa imo. It's a fresh setting and you already have all the required content to create Mediterranean maps and most of the models would only need reskining to fit the conflict. Either way, looking forward to this.

Wouldn't the invasion of Italy, Crete be a better way to go with A3 and keep the western front to A2? Could even cram a bit of North Africa imo. It's a fresh setting and you already have all the required content to create Mediterranean maps and most of the models would only need reskining to fit the conflict. Either way, looking forward to this.

Well it just isn't as simple as that i'm afraid.

Many of the buildings in arma 3 alpha has modern things on them like tv antennas and air condition systems that dosn't really fit the era.

You are right about reskining models but some of them is made back in the ofp days so they are not even close to the arma 3 standards and possibilities.

(I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this)

Best Regards astast

Well it just isn't as simple as that i'm afraid.

Many of the buildings in arma 3 alpha has modern things on them like tv antennas and air condition systems that dosn't really fit the era.

You are right about reskining models but some of them is made back in the ofp days so they are not even close to the arma 3 standards and possibilities.

(I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this)

Best Regards astast

Doubt many would care about such small details as long as everything else is correct. Don't forget that they could also include A2 buildings and the custom made Afghan statics. Would be awesome to paradrop as Fallshirmjaegers into Crete and fight the Britons and vice versa :D

Edited by aidas2

Doubt many would care about such small details as long as everything else is correct. Don't forget that they could also include A2 buildings and the custom made Afghan statics. Would be awesome to paradrop as Fallshirmjaegers into Crete and fight the Britons and vice versa :D

Well i guess you will have that opportunity at some point ;)

Edited by astast

I don't know, I for one DO care about the small details. There's nothing better than being fully immersed in the surroundings and then to be kicked out of it because you see an air conditioning unit on the side of the building.

Judging from the team here at I44 and the level of work they put into it, I'd say that to make an Italian based map of the WWII era, they would probably like to make it seem as realistic as possible....but that's just my opinion on that.

Doubt many would care about such small details as long as everything else is correct. Don't forget that they could also include A2 buildings and the custom made Afghan statics.

You obviously have never engaged with the I44 crowd argument then heh, little details go a long way (both good and bad). Also we can't include A2 buildings without permission from BI to distribute their content from A2 ported into A3. No matter which location we choose we are gonna have to produce a lot of content, but minimising that by using the current settings allows us to use many other things such as the plants and foliage, textures, and older styled buildings which don't show the modern side of things.

A small and fast thing could perhaps be to take Stratis, replace the houses with the damaged models provided they don't include any modern things. Just a suggestion, no idea how feasible it actually is.

A small and fast thing could perhaps be to take Stratis, replace the houses with the damaged models provided they don't include any modern things. Just a suggestion, no idea how feasible it actually is.

That sounds like a pretty good temporary solution!