Sign in to follow this  
outlaw3025

Alpha Lite

I dont want to sound ungreatful, because I really have enjoyed playing with the ArmA 3 Alpha. My issue is this, when you said we would have 3 Alpha Lite invites to give to friends i figured that ok, we can invite our friends and run them through some co-op missions through Multi-Player. I understand that Lite did not list the Co-Op missions as part of the package, however I would have expected that they could at least access missions online created by current Alpha players as sort of an incetive to say "Hey bring your friends along and if they like it they can buy it." unfortunately the way it is right now that cannot be done, and I feel Bohemia is missing out on a good opportunity to bring in new players to the franchise.

It was said already a week ago that the Lite version has no MP and no save option in the editor.

Really can't see why you complain now, it allows everyone to have a look at the current Alpha and when they are interested they can buy the game and if not they move on. MP is not required to have a look what the game is like actually.

Oh I wasnt complaining, just commenting that an Opportunity may have been missed here. But having MP would have made it a bit better to explain what ArmA is all about and that is the Community aspects of the game play.

BIS will have all the opportunity in the world once the game goes retail. So don't give that lame excuse that they wont be able to expand their player base by limiting a free alpha....

maybe they should have let people at least play the co-op "escape from stratis" mission

Seeing all the people complaining on the forums about the quality of an alpha build, I don't see why BIS would be in a hurry to get more of these ignoramuses involved. Who knows, we may see some other trial options when the game is closer to release (although, frankly, it's far from necessary).

This Alpha build is primarily for testing purposes, not demoing the game.

BIS will have all the opportunity in the world once the game goes retail. So don't give that lame excuse that they wont be able to expand their player base by limiting a free alpha....

I don't recall him saying that they "won't be able to expand their player base", he simply believes that they "missed out on a good opportunity", so no need to freak out on the guy.

I agree with him that it'd be nice if there was multiplayer support for the invites, because there are some gamers who enjoy gaming a lot more when playing with friends, but I know it won't have any affect on the game's sales. The fan-base is too huge to really be affected by an alpha phase.

The invites were free as well, so I won't complain.

Edited by imrevned

Hello there

I was also quite surprised to learn there was no MP in the lite version, but then I am basing my previous experience on the A1 demo.

Again we have to remember (apologies for saying this) it is an "alpha" or at the very least a work in progress so perhaps a true demo will be released at a later date.

I dont know the reasoning for not allowing MP play in the light version as it does show a very different game to the SP mode, but I doubt it's something they decided to do without a very good reason, and whats to say they will not enable MP play at a later date?

It's an interesting issue, but not one I would worry about unduly.

Rgds

LoK

I think the lite version has enough content for people to make an informed decision about whether they want to buy into the Alpha or not and that's all it really has to do.

The Alpha lite, I think of it more of a conceptual tech demo. It's enough for a player to install it on their computer , and see if it runs. Allowing them get a basic feel for the game and what it has to offer in terms of basic gameplay if they so choose to purchase it.

Once the full retail game is released, I'm sure we will see an actual demo for the game. Right now the Alpha Lite offers a great chance for people to try before they buy.

It's also been stated many times, and officially that the alpha lite is a stripped down version of the alpha that includes no multiplayer. Which is why it's given out for free through invites.

The basis of the idea is someone who's a fan of Arma buys the game, enjoys it and wants to convince friends to buy it as well. Their friends are unsure how it will work, or if they will even like it aside from videos of gameplay online. They get sent an alpha lite key and are able to see first hand if it's something they wish to purchase. While they are limited in terms of what they can do it offers more than enough to decide whether it's a purchase or not.

I would be inclined to see lite as a demo of the alpha and therfore quite correctly stripped down.