Sign in to follow this  
Frankdatank1218

Question about running a modded server

I run listen servers for my clan once in a while and I always use some mod, like FHQ's M4 mod for ARMA 3. But rather annoyingly my clan mates all seem to have to download the mod each.

Now in games like Red Orchestra and source games (ARMA 3 will also use steam online services too right?). If you start joining a server with a custom mod and/or map you will start auto-downloading it at the loading screen, and join the server when the download is complete.

Is there any way you can make it so clients can auto-download mods for your server? Perhaps download them along with the mission file on "receiving mission file"? Or any other system.

If not, I recommend such a system for ARMA 3 Beta or full release.

One Word ;

DOTHISBOHEMIAITSAWESOMETOHAVEAONECLICKDOWNLOADOFAWESOMEMODS!

Simply do it.

I believe that you can do it, though I can't remember how.

If it were Arma2 I'd tell you to set up a custom six-updater repo. That's what I've done (as my Arma2 install is something like 22gb).

Edit: Teamkiller your post will most likely get deleted if you leave it like that.

Problem with this is would you really want people downloading hundreds of mb from your server before they can play the mission? Join a server with a custom mission - it can take minutes to download 3mb, imagine trying to pull down 300mb....

I believe that you can do it, though I can't remember how.

If it were Arma2 I'd tell you to set up a custom six-updater repo. That's what I've done (as my Arma2 install is something like 22gb).

Edit: Teamkiller your post will most likely get deleted if you leave it like that.

Problem with this is would you really want people downloading hundreds of mb from your server before they can play the mission? Join a server with a custom mission - it can take minutes to download 3mb, imagine trying to pull down 300mb....

I'm talking small things like ST-Hud, Weapon Packs, unit packs. Not conversions, sound mods, or anything like ACE/DAYZ-sized Addons.

I suppose, if such a thing were implemented, you should be given the option to have a separate host designated for files so there is no stress on your server.

I'm talking small things like ST-Hud, Weapon Packs, unit packs. Not conversions, sound mods, or anything like ACE/DAYZ-sized Addons.

It can be done. I've seen it before on these forums somewhere.

It is not possible nativly. You would need to run a 3rd party program that would do it, such as six updater, and even then, it only supports specific mods for the most part. It is not nativly suppo