Sign in to follow this  
saul

NATO Replacement Pack- More Multicam!

NATO Replacement Pack- More Multicam!

a3original.jpga3improved.jpg

Hey all. Here is my iteration of multicam for the NATO characters for Arma3. The big emphasis for me was to darken the uniforms and replace much of the sage/ ranger green pouches and gear with multicam as well. The default uniforms annoy the dickens out of me as they are very bright and do not blend into the surrounding natural environments. Special thanks go to Alex Vestin for his amazing multicam texture (Linky). I used his multicam with some tweaks, replaced much of the color information, darkened everything up, and also added in details to parts like the helmet camera and MS2000 for examples.

Pack contains just the NATO character_f.pbo and a readme for instructions on how to replace the original texture. You can download here:

Download

Enjoy!!!

Edit: Download link updated with new pbo replacement pack, special thanks goes to Brainbug for the help.

Edited by Saul

I would like to write something but I write it without being able to do it better than you or tell you how to do it. So I hope you understand I want to help you to make your work more popular.

You are re-releasing an edited version of an official .pbo. You should never do that. This could cause many issues with the game to people who install this:

- can not join MP anymore (servers with key check enabled will kick for modified files)

- you might get in trouble when a patch is released

- the file is way bigger than it needs to be

- neve rmodify original files

I can not tell you how to make a retexture cause I really would not know how (yeah, pretty bad huh) but maybe you could have a look how others made their reskins/replacements.

Nevertheless I decided to frontpage the work on the Armaholic homepage.

Thanks Fox, I mentioned in the read me that you should backup the original character file before using for those very reasons. I do not know how to make a separate pbo with just the nato characters as I am just an amateur 3d and texture artist and don't understand configs or anything of that like. If anyone knows how to do this or is willing at assist that would be awesome.

Sure, that isn't hard, although it might seem a bit weird at first.

the general procedure would be:

-> check whether the models have hidden selections that allow to easily change the texture in the config

-> if not (it doesn't seem that you could in this case), modify the model with a hex editor so that the texture path is changed to your new addon

-> make a new config where you overwrite the model path in the soldier classes with the path to your modified model (which then in turn loads the different textures).

I can get you going, but you have to tell me exactly which texture files you changed and by which model files these textures are used (i.e. blabla.p3d uses soandso.paa and xyz.paa). Then I'll make a complete addon from it and send it back to you so you can sign it and release it.

- removed.

Anyway, just follow what Foxhound said.

Edited by Binkowski

Thanks Fox, I mentioned in the read me that you should backup the original character file before using for those very reasons. I do not know how to make a separate pbo with just the nato characters as I am just an amateur 3d and texture artist and don't understand configs or anything of that like. If anyone knows how to do this or is willing at assist that would be awesome.

Massi released a sample config, check this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148880-Italian-Special-Operations-A3Alpha&p=2327637&viewfull=1#post2327637

I am just an amateur 3d and texture artist and don't understand configs or anything of that like.

Many here are the same as you and luckely as you see above this community is full with helpfull people all helping eachoter. There are also skype and other groups where, if needed, you can get more direct help.

And of course the editing forums here where many people will lend you a hand trying to make your work more accesible :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?170-ARMA-3-ALPHA-ADDONS-Configs-amp-Scripting (addon configs and scripting section)

It doesnt work for me and I'm sure I have your modified file loaded.

probably because it wasn't packed properly, the directory structure inside the pbo is borked (e.g. the path to the blufor dir is not characters_f\blufor, but characters_f\a3\characters_f\blufor). I assume the reason is that is wasn't pbo'ed from the root of a drive but from a subdirectory (the P: drive letter is set up for that purpose, though I usually use my work drive D:, that doesn't matter, it just needs to be the root).

@ R0adki11: Thanks for that link, I had thought (from a quick look into the config) that there were no hidden selections, but very good to hear that this is not true. Makes our lives a lot easier.

I hope you can make a replacement pack.^^

You sir are the man. I and a few others from 1MSOB are gonna take some time to learn configs and the like. Gonna be a long couple of days. Thanks again brainbug.

Edit: Original post download link updated.

Edited by Saul

I really like these replacements. Could you, in the future, retexture the MTP backpacks to be matching?

The MTP caps (the hat worn by the rifleman light) needs to be matching as well

Edited by Pachira

Can you update your pack for full Arma 3? As it says it is missing a V carrierplate I think, so it doesn't work.

Updated mod v1.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Saul , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.