Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Thief 4: Yet another console port turd

confirmed red flags:

crossbow-trendy game weapon. only unoriginal, cookie cutter games follow trends.

voice actor replacement-every single time the voice actor gets canned, the series suffers. hitman absolution most recent example.

"cant see shit" levels of darkness. hard to say as some games genuinely need darkness. in this case, it looks like it's meant to cover up bland textures and appeal to hipsters who think black everything is edgy and cool.

Yeargh! The Dark Mod Page isn't loading... probably too many thiefs trying to download it right now. And about the trailer and the new game... I think the very first words of the linked article pretty much say everything "So, Garrett is a ninja that lives in a clock tower now. I’m not sure how I feel about that."

Yeargh! The Dark Mod Page isn't loading... probably too many thiefs trying to download it right now. And about the trailer and the new game... I think the very first words of the linked article pretty much say everything "So, Garrett is a ninja that lives in a clock tower now. I’m not sure how I feel about that."

Torrent link in the video description.

Torrent link in the video description.

Thanks! Now, I think that'll be the real successor of the Thief games... what I hear from the video, they even got the sound design right - another aspect the new "Thief" seems to lack.

As I had expected :(

Rest in Peace Garrett.

Well there goes my interest for that game...

So, now it's a linear, stealth-themed adventure taking place in a generic Victorian setting, taking the player by the hand so he/she doesn't die too often and the enemies, trained, equipped guardsmen, are easy to defeat in single combat? That pretty much takes away everything that made Thief interesting, even the sound work is now rather unremarkable. I'm sticking with the Dark Mod.

Thief died with Deadly shadows.

This one looks even worse, but nothing surprising from Ubisucks.

Chill... Controversial "focus mode" and object highlighting CAN BE DISABLED. I'm glad they ditched quick time events! Choosing different actor than original Garret's voice by Stephen Russel was rather bad idea.

It's a nice game, but not Thief.

Argh, Christ...who am I kidding. It sucks.

It's another series destroyed by Ubisoft in order to sell copies to 12 year old kids and casual gamers. Just what happened to Ghost Recon.

It's a nice game, but not Thief.

Argh, Christ...who am I kidding. It sucks.

It's another series destroyed by Ubisoft in order to sell copies to 12 year old kids and casual gamers. Just what happened to Ghost Recon.

Just what the hell are you on about? The game is published by Square Enix and developed by Eidos Montreal.

Just what the hell are you on about? The game is published by Square Enix and developed by Eidos Montreal.

Still published by Ubisoft, isn't it? Publishers always have huge influence.

Still published by Ubisoft, isn't it? Publishers always have huge influence.

Like HKFlash said there is no Ubisoft regarding Thief,not sure where you get that info but it's wrong.

Ah okay, thought it'd be Ubisoft behind it now. Nonetheless it's another series destroyed, doesn't matter who it did.

Actually I'd say in the last video it's looking really good:

And apparently there's lots of stuff you can tweak in terms of difficulty and onscreen icons etc. etc.

Haven't watched that one yet but definitely happier with my £19.80 purchase from GMG after seeing the first video!

Well I think I´ll trust people who actually played it than a carefully crafted trailer....

I'd be happier if they'd call it Dishonored 2. The whole setup feels a bit off for the series, it's like he's the big huge master thief everyone on the streets knows, who's already destined to be the savior from the beginning, instead of just being a guy who wants to earn his living without having to do one of those shabby, low-wage day to day jobs (I guess being in the hero by destiny role is more relatable for a broader audience). The whole atmosphere and art style is more like a darker Dishonored than Thief, Victorian Steampunk instead of the more original style (I guess Steampunk is more relatable for a broader audience) But the thing that hurts me most is the sound design - it's just all Hans Zimmerish in the trailers (I guess grand orchestral score is more relatable for a broader audience), I just hope they manage to retain Brosius' ambient style throughout the game.

Other than that, I don't think it's ruining the series. It's not like they're destroying all copies of the older installments, they're still there and playable for people who don't like. The Builder be praised, it's not forced down anyone's throat.

Looks totally like they are trying to be Dishonored.

The 101 trailer also appears to hint at Zombies being an enemy. :rolleyes:

The whole line that you can approach things from any direction you like is compete bull$#%, you can tell from the videos

and the limited gameplay videos out there it's completely linear.

Edited by jblackrupert

And don´t forget the AI. Such a game is nothing without good AI. Sadly the AI in this game seems to be half blind and deaf.

Looks totally like they are trying to be Dishonored.

I said the same thing,this screamed Dishonored everywhere you looked,but the funny part is that Thief 4 was first announced in 2009 while Dishonored was in 2011.

I said the same thing,this screamed Dishonored everywhere you looked,but the funny part is that Thief 4 was first announced in 2009 while Dishonored was in 2011.

Maybe they didn't really finish their concepts and ideas in the first few years ... and then picked up on the whole Dishonored thing.

Dishonored is a game that will be incredibly hard to beat.

It was nothing short of a masterpiece imho.

I doubt Thief will be anywhere near as good but there is always room for a surprise I guess (although I remain skeptical).