Sign in to follow this  
elaintahra

Movement still feels like Operation Flashpoint

NTRUDER;2336661']As a veteran OFP/ArmA player I think the movement is almost perfect now. It's so easy to move around inside buildings (don't run ffs!) and I won't get stuck in doorways anymore when entering a room with potential hostiles.

Greatness! :)

+1

BIS achieved the perfect balance with ArmA III in this regard.

I just hate the abnormal feeling given by the floating camera in FPS games. It seems that I'm always sliding when moving' date=' with no gravity effect at all.

I'm quite impressed with ArmA III movement feeling.

Oh, and another thing that would be nice now is the ability to break out of animations with movement - Ie. if you are healing yourself you should be able to move at any time, but the heal action will be cancelled. same with the prone modifiers. If you are in high prone and move, you should automatically go back to the normal prone. You shouldn't be forced to drop to normal prone and then move - that's clunky.

Agree with you.

I must say, after having spend some time "mastering" the controls i love the way you move, very intuitive and instinctive, once learned it all and tweaked options around abit :) Theres a button for everything and its never worked better.

Im having trouble understanding how you get stuck in corners and doorways, if you pay attention to your stance and weapon handling. I never get stuck like that.

I never tryed OFP so cant say how it was back in the day but its a serious improvement from Arma II already and i dont think its important to change it a whole lot.

As for vehicles you can use either space or click scroll to get in them so its already "easy" enough :)

I see it this way, the one thing that makes Arma stand out is:

It forces you to think of your actions before you do them, unlike most other FPS's where you do it and then think about what you actually did.

Arma is a "thinking" game, not a fast paced, small map, speedy FPS. Thats why we need controls like we got, its so much more then run, stop, shoot, run, stop, shoot.

Also remember, in order to move perfectly on a subconcious level in combat, you need to train for it first, aka get used to controls and figure out how to use them best.

It does need polish, but the overall mehcanic is awsome and so much better then any kind of FPS out there tbh.

Edited by Byrgesen

Hello

Well I and most people with I talk say that the movement is very fluid and they have good feedback. And the most important is that it is realistic. Although there is still that improve more things we are going to the right direction.

regards and sorry for my english.

arma 3 is a huge step forward from the past, however it could be cleaned up a bit. If you want realism, then support realism. In real life, with gear and weapon in hand, i do not feel half as clunky. While the game has improved, it still has a ways to go. I think those who are against better movement are clinging to bad mechanics like a security blanket. makes them feel safe.

here are some things to consider; when i am doing live fire drills, clearing drills, simunition FvF training, or just airsoft; i do not feel like a refrigerator. the feeling is dynamic and violent. This is how the game should feel. furthermore, something else to consider, is that with more natural and fluid movement will bring more importance to defending your sectors of fire and utilizing team work.

Do not be afraid of making this game into a simulator. Embrace the simulation of true movement over clunky movement.

I strongly feel they should remove the rifles collision from the player character to make navigating houses as easy as it would be in real life. Yeah you'll see lots of clipping, but what's worse? Needlessly difficult interior navigation or a mild compromise in the endless hunt of real life simulation.

Control of character in BIS games was never a problemwhen you get rid of the FPS habit of sprinting all the time. Helps for a steady aim too. The more you run the faster you have to respawn.

Edited by Beagle

here are some things to consider; when i am doing live fire drills, clearing drills, simunition FvF training, or just airsoft; i do not feel like a refrigerator. the feeling is dynamic and violent. This is how the game should feel.

all i hear is "feel". and that's exactly what it comes down to. sure it "feels" more restricted compared to reality. the realism aspect is not about the feeling it's about how it makes players play the game. that's why this...

furthermore, something else to consider, is that with more natural and fluid movement will bring more importance to defending your sectors of fire and utilizing team work.

....makes zero sense. the point is that if all you need is a fast mouse hand to survive then you will play a lot differently than how you play arma right now. by your logic arma 2 was unplayable. while a lot of people hate on the ofp/arma series none of them realize how different (in a good way) people play it because of its "clunkyness". if people just wanted that "natural feeling" movement they would play other games. while i can admit that it was far from polished it was

sometimes those flaws that forced you to play more cautious.

the reality is that the more you open it up to the floating camera style the more crazy and unrealistic stuff people will be able to pull off. just take an honest look at characters moving in arma titles compared to normal FPS games. while bf3 may have a fancy fluid movement system people look like frantic children on speed running around the maps. the whole pace of things is just off. and i'm not just talking about running speed. look at real world combat footage. arma is so much closer than any other game in terms of "feel".

yea animation transitions need work and some animations should be tweaked. but those generalizing comments about the whole system and the comparison to other games that may have the same setting but are totally different just show that people don't get the game. it's not just battlefield with an editor.

do you really think arma movement is like that because BI doesn't know how to make a simple shooter? most of it is on purpose. it's way easier to make a floating camera shooter.

To start with, I love all the titles for the possibilities they offer and the freedom. I bought the Alpha as soon as possible and excited. It looks COOL and I feel really good about it.

However I still feel the weight of Operation Flashpoint, some colleague also pointed that out (yeah but still moves like OFP)

- the movement is sluggish, can't explain it better but everyone recognises it; it's not fluid like other FPS games.

I understand the frustration, is related to player´s reactions and character´s movements/animations. all this has to do with the close combat so compared to other FPS, Arma series work in long medium range and strategic combat if arma 3 want it to work in close combat there is much to do.

while the door mechanic could be improved by things like animations to both sides depending on the direction the door is opened from or auto openeing, i think the fact that it takes time to open a door and that it opens only to one side are details that actually make it more realistic. again i want to see people run up to a normal door (not a saloon swinging door;)) and open it while running through it without losing speed.

This so much. Most newcomers just don't understand this is a milSim, not a regular FPS.

There were people on some other thread complaining that you couldn't easily enter a car. They wanted to run to a vehicle, barely touching it, press a button and instantly appear inside, ready to ride.

The controls are fine since I've first tried ArmA II, you just gotta open your mind and give it a chance. It's pretty 'natural' after you master the basics.

Edited by spaceBeluga

In other FPS you don't have a body! You are a floating camera and the 3rd persion view (how other see you) may not represent what you are actually doing\seeing.

Also I read this:

- the movement is sluggish, can't explain it better but everyone recognises it; it's not fluid like other FPS games.

and see this:

Well, why? “Because the guy doesn’t move like he does in Call of Duty. Call of Duty has great movement.†Why is it great? “Because it just is, I just like the way it works.†So you don’t like the momentum system in Red Orchestra? “Yeah, it sucks, it’s clunky, it’s terrible.†Well, why? “It’s just because I’m used to this.â€

www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/

still moves like OFP

Wow, really? How long ago you played it last time? Maybe you should refresh your memory a bit and actually install and play it?

it's not fluid like other FPS games

Newsflash: it's not other FPS games - it's ArmA.

- the houses etc are really somehow troublesome to go into and walk around like walking in sticky floor and getting stuck at corners, opening doors is pain, again can't explain it better but you must know it. Navigating houses is not amusing at all.

Are you sure you played Arma 3? Maybe someone fooled you and you're actually playing ArmA 2?

(ok it's still Alpha, could change - but it won't)

What makes you say so?

So many dino-fans in here that have become so used to the bad controls they've convinced themselves it's somehow a feature of the series instead of an obsolete design in need of improvement.

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

So many dino-fans in here that have become so used to the bad controls they've convinced themselves it's somehow a feature of the series instead of an obsolete design in need of improvement.

So many COD fans here that have become so used to over accelerated controls and have no understanding how difficult and heavy it is to move when packed with a weapon, magazines and equipment, their minds overly affected by kiddish games so they think how the charachters move in these stupid, 14 year olds market oriented games, is actually reality.

corrupted gaming mind at it's best.

OP must be a troll, movement has never been better and is vastly different.

So many COD fans here that have become so used to over accelerated controls and have no understanding how difficult and heavy it is to move when packed with a weapon, magazines and equipment, their minds overly affected by kiddish games so they think how the charachters move in these stupid, 14 year olds market oriented games, is actually reality.

corrupted gaming mind at it's best.

Ninja'd :)

Although I'm not saying that everything is perfect and theres nothing to improve, when i see such negative reactions for things that was VASTLY improved and now working almost perfectly well, I get a bit confused - maybe we're playing some different games :)?

Edited by MAXZY

Cognitive dissonance

lol you might want to look up what that actually means before trying to come across intelligent...

used to the bad controls they've convinced themselves it's somehow a feature of the series instead of an obsolete design in need of improvement.

it's true that it can still be improved upon a lot but you are obviously one of those people who think it is just a bad example of implementing common FPS functionality. in arma you actually have a body who performs every animation and your camera is attached to its actual head. it's a huge difference to a free floating camera with some animated models moving along with it. this results in arma being one of the few games where you are actually concealed when you feel you are as opposed to for example bf3 where people can shoot you from behind a box while barely the tip of their head is showing, meaning that their gun is actually IN the box. this is true for a lot of FPSs.

while it's true that arma's system has its edges that yet have to be evened out it is still a lot better for what the game wants to do than the usual easy way. you just don't get what it tries to do. you like the OP and other people are just generalizing and mixing actual flaws with game design decisions. just asking to make it like other games is just the typical perspective of someone who isn't used to it. make specific suggestions on specific flaws instead of nonsense wannabe wise ass posts.

EDIT: one thing i have to add. when the FPS is bad in arma it has a much greater impact on mobility because the way it's done. meaning a floating camera suffers a lot less from low FPS that arma virtual body.

Edited by Bad Benson

I would love to see a jump! Also, I agree that BF3 vaulting over obstacles is near perfect - as close to that smoothness would be greatly appreciated.

then what are you doing here? If you want CoD supporters, this aren't right forums for that.

BF3's vaulting is far from perfect when it comes to authenticity. It's way too fast and agile. I'd say it's very hard for a soldier carrying 20 kg of gear doing hurdles like olympic sportsman. At least, without losing balance and that Arma series doesn't simulate too well although you can be knocked back by vehicles in ArmA 3 ( I love that <3 ).

I think current vaulting system is reasonably good. Maybe it could be a little bit faster. It'd be great if the time it takes to vault over obstacle would depend on the gear you're carrying and fatique.

IT'S NOT LIKE COD!!! WHY IS IT NOT LIKE COD!?!

BIS have improved numerous animations and actions to make the game more fluid, if you want instant action movements with zero inertia then play another game.

I think current vaulting system is reasonably good.

lol. first time i heard someone say that. i think vaulting is even worse than before one of the things i really don't like. it creates a lot of collision clipping. speaking of collision. i think that might be one of the main things that people struggle with and that has to be improved the most. while it's important to avoid too much clipping i think modifying the character collision model would help a lot. that's another big difference. most FPS games have a super simple collision model for characters to keep things simple. it most of the time has an even surface and is just a cylinder instead of a character shaped one with separate limbs. that contributes a lot to the unclunkyness people are requesting. i don't know how ground collision works in arma but making the leg collision simpler could help moving next to objects/inside houses. also what has been suggested: removing collision for the gun helps a lot and has been done by a mod with great effect in arma 2.

it creates a lot of collision clipping.

I feel a little bit mixed about this. It sure does allow nasty clipping into objects but on the other hand it gives the freedom to do that "dance" anywhere not just next to obstacles. If you get stuck you can get moving again by vaulting and such. But yes, there is much to improve in it's implementation.

Really I meant that it's reasonably slow to get over fences or other obstacles and that is something the current vaulting system surely simulates.

You know, my first ever PC FPS was OFP:Cold War and I loved it, I met people playing that that I still game with 10 years later, many of them being ex/serving US forces, which led me to doing some time in the UK Army (you know, learning the real thing ;) )

I then played Battlefield 2 and COD:MW, went to ArmA, then tried ArmA2 but due to my PC struggling with it, and most of the online community turning to CO-OP (whereas I preferred fighting other people), I ended up just sticking to Battlefield

So for the most part, the past many years I've mainly played Battlefield (2, BC2 & 3), so I would consider myself more of a FPS player than a MilSim one

Yet I'm still preferring ArmA3 (even if I can't complete a MP round due to crashing), I much prefer the movement, the potential stealth, team strategies, etc

Battlefield, COD, etc are arcade shooters, always have been and always will be, afterall, they patch gun/vehicle stats to maintain game-balance and general fun (aka buffs & nerfs)

ArmA is more about team organization, being closer to realism, etc

I played BF simply because the group of people I game with mainly plays that, but I don't get as much enjoyment out of it than I did with OFP

Is it perfect? of course not, it will never be perfect until we have true Virtual Reality (you know the type in movies), because outside of unmanned vehicles we don't move using a controller or keyboard