Sign in to follow this  
chrisb

TrackIR for Arma 3, some questions for existing users.

You will find that you try to look around in every game once you get used to them.

Most times resulting in you having a little "doh" moment to yourself.

Do you get that "stiff neck" feeling when you go back to a game which doesn't support TIR? I find that very frustrating, like suddenly I'm wearing a neck brace.

Well the TIR5 arrived today, only ordered it Thursday, so that is fantastic, would definately recommend the place I bought them, I worked out around Tuesday for delivery.

Anyway, so I have set them up initially and they work fine. Now the leaning around corners, rolling your head to one side does it a little but how do you make it more of a lean ?

I don't want to be leaning my body really, rather have the lean attached to the head roll for infantry use. Haven’t found how you alter that yet. Any help would be appreciated..

Well worth the money though, should be a good addition to my game-play..

Well the TIR5 arrived today, only ordered it Thursday, so that is fantastic, would definately recommend the place I bought them, I worked out around Tuesday for delivery.

Anyway, so I have set them up initially and they work fine. Now the leaning around corners, rolling your head to one side does it a little but how do you make it more of a lean ?

I don't want to be leaning my body really, rather have the lean attached to the head roll for infantry use. Haven’t found how you alter that yet. Any help would be appreciated..

I use head tilt to lean.

Set Lean Left to TrackIR +rZ and lean right to TrackIR -rZ.

You can then fine tune the leaning in TRACKIR software, sure you used to be able to do it in A2 controller settings but cant find it in A3.

It is the roll axis you need to adjust in TRACKIR software to alter the lean ratio.

Hi all

Yeah u gotta get trackir it's good very good not just for arma but flight sims racing sim any game where u move ya head u can pretty much use it

You can survive without it in infantry as most looking around can be accomplished with a quick jerk of the head (with ALT+mouse). In the air, it's essential. It's so beneficial I'd say it puts those without it at a severe disadvantage.

Also, I had a moment as a passenger in an Ifrit when I leaned my head to scratch my neck; this was mirrored perfectly in-game (rolling your head doesn't work as infantry but does in vehicles). I hadn't expected this, and for a fleeting moment, felt like I was really "there". That was an entertaining experience.

If I were to go the FreeTrack route, would a Wii Remote and three LEDs-on-the-head suffice considering what I've heard about the Wii Remote thanks to Johnny Chung Lee's work? (His Web site states that it has a 1024 x 768 infrared camera with "built-in hardware blob tracking of up to 4 points at 100Hz."

TrackIR for Arma 3..

Really thinking about this for Arma 3 now, I have a few questions for those who already use it.

Answers/opinions would be much appreciated.

1/ Is it only for looking around, similar to freelook, i.e. doesn’t control weapons/vehicles etc, or does it ?

Battlefield awareness is increased IMO 10 fold, can't imagine flyin without it. Best purchase i've ever made to support my gaming.

2/ Does it lock into place when you bring the weapon up to the sights ?

3/ Are the functions analogue i.e. when you lean can you lean slightly (peep) ?

4/ Neck-ache, yes or no ?

5/ As Q1, if it does control weapons/vehicles etc, can you click between normal use and TIR in-game quickly ?

6/ What benefits would you say TIR has over conventional controls ?

7/ Are there any alternatives to using headphones/cap to mount the head sensor ?

8/ Does the head sensor use batteries or is it usb with a lead ?

Might add some more later as I think about it, or if you think of anything in particular to point out, that would be great..:)

Sorry if this has already been started as thread, I checked the 'Check If Already Posted' button, but nothing in the Arma 3 forum came up..

1/ Is it only for looking around, similar to freelook, i.e. doesn’t control weapons/vehicles etc, or does it ?

Battlefield awareness is increased IMO 10 fold, can't imagine flyin without it. Best purchase i've ever made to support my gaming

Looking at getting TrackIR 5 myself, after seeing how useful it'd be. Wanted to ask, however.

Is it -possible-, to set Track IR to do the following?

Pitch/Yaw - Look direction.

Roll - Incremental Lean

While having the vertical and lateral movement actually affect the new sub-stances they have in? (IE, moving the head to the left as a whole, for a step-lean to the left, etc - or raising up to see over an object)

Looking at getting TrackIR 5 myself, after seeing how useful it'd be. Wanted to ask, however.

Is it -possible-, to set Track IR to do the following?

Pitch/Yaw - Look direction. Yes

Roll - Incremental Lean Yes, see my post on the previous page on how to set it up

While having the vertical and lateral movement actually affect the new sub-stances they have in? (IE, moving the head to the left as a whole, for a step-lean to the left, etc - or raising up to see over an object) At the moment not really but would be nice if the added more control options so we can do this.

See answers in bold.

Once you have used TiR there is no going back. ;)

Congrats Chris,

Be aware that it does take quite a bit of tweaking to get it feeling right.

You have to adjust the response curves (higher=more sensitive)

I have a deadzone for each axis and centre key is numpad '0'

Thanks guys for the input, still tweaking etc.

@liquidpinky, thanks for the info, I have done that and its working fine now.

Went flying, wow, it is needed isn’t it, so much better, same I find with driving, its easier more natural.

It is a great new addition to my gaming..

Now combine TIR with 3 monitors and it gets even better :yay:

I bought Trackir 5 a while ago, it was good but I ended up selling it on. I would have definitely kept it if I played flight sims, however I mainly play Arma and racing simulations, and in racing games it really is off putting, and in Arma I found it quite annoying also.

Purely my own opinion of course, I know many people really enjoy it. I do enjoy the immersion, in racing sims it "looks" much more realistic, but the feel, it makes it almost impossible to drive when you are not looking straight forward.

Purely my own opinion of course, I know many people really enjoy it. I do enjoy the immersion, in racing sims it "looks" much more realistic, but the feel, it makes it almost impossible to drive when you are not looking straight forward.

Maybe do some drift racing, you need the abilty to look sidewards more then.

Yes I think TIR is very much a device that either your brain either gets it or it doesn't like the motion, very much like some people get sick from FPS gameplay or not.

I first got TIR to play IL-2. Before I would move my head in relation to the screen as I panned around naturally so I could keep track where front is so I transitioned to TIR quite naturally. I have no issue with the scales movement between your head and the screen, but I can see how that could be an issue.

It's to the point where I have a hard time playing a game that doesn't support it. It will be interesting to see what happens when consumer VR screens become available.

Oh don't get me wrong, for a flight sim Trackir is a necessity.

For Arma 3, thanks to independent head movement for infantry, it is a nice addition. For flying in Arma, it has the same values as for a flight sim.

For racing sims, it is widely accepted by most sim racers I have spoken too, to be more of a pain than an assist. Once you get triple monitors for sim racing trackir is obsolete.

Flight sims and Arma require strong peripheral vision, in a racing car, you just need to look left and right slightly. There is something that just ruins hand/eye coordination when you are driving and looking in another direction in racing simulators. I can't put my finger on why, but it really is distracting.

You naturally drive to where you look? I found for racing sims you need a high frame rate because it is quick glances and if the TIR lags at all then it really breaks immersion.

I'd like to pick up a TrackIR5 at some point, but it's beyond my finances right now. It certainly looks like it will be graet for my gaming.

I've managed to pick up a PS3 Eye on the cheap, to use with FtNoIR, and see if it is even something that will agree with me.

Does anyone have a good config for the PS3 Eye?

First, my TrackIR4 is installed but is not working, any setup suggestions?

Second, I have Extreme 3D Pro and does not seem to work with TrackIR installed in game, would appreciate your help.............thanx!

First, my TrackIR4 is installed but is not working, any setup suggestions?

Second, I have Extreme 3D Pro and does not seem to work with TrackIR installed in game, would appreciate your help.............thanx!

Make sure you have latest version of the TrackIR software (5.2)

For joystick you may have to map each axis and button for the first time.

Make sure you have latest version of the TrackIR software (5.2)

My software update gives me, "The TrackIR version you are using is : 4.2.039

The most recent TrackIR version available is : 4.2.039 "

For joystick you may have to map each axis and button for the first time.

How is that done?

How is that done?

I don't own TrackIR, but I'm betting it's done like most stuff: Go to the website and download it.

Or are you asking about the joystick? That is done in Arma's controls.