Sign in to follow this  
Der_Richter

Volunteers for helping out?

Ok. I have tested and TeamSpeak server seems to work fine. I have tried to host with 4 players and it seems to work ok. Should be ok with more players as well.

I will run a maission from time to time to get this rolling. The idea is to let the new players take roles that need practice while being backed and helped by veterans, in a laid back atmosphere, i.e. noone is to blame if something fails, we restart mission midpoint if needed, we can experiment as much as we want. No problems.

I will sign in as veteran at this first event, and hopefully tremanarch, as he so willingly volunteered :)

I was looking at running this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19294

for training of fireteam command and navigation.

If interested in joining, let me know, and i will set a time for server go... Remember, i live in the cold arctic hell hole known as Sweden, so times will be GMT + 1

//Richard

Glad to see this shaping up. I'd definitely be interesting in joining a session (as a FNG). My availability is hard to predict right now, but I just wanted to express my interest and support.

There's a group for that one mod (name removed because people apparently can't even see it without having to go off-topic to comment on its players) called Trusted Medics of the Wasteland that trains new players on a 1 on 1 basis. My training session with them was pleasant and informative. Their leader assigned a trainer, the trainer contacted me and we met on their private server & Teamspeak for about an hour of basic training. Two days later I realized all anyone on that mod does anymore is gank and I quit, but TMW is good people.

Would be awesome to see an existent clan take up this role for Arma 3. I think people like this can make a huge difference in a community, especially when it's undergoing a period of rapid growth. Would be a great way to recruit, too.

Edited by Fuse

This is something the community really needs. I remember when i first started playing the first arma a few months after it came out. I thought the game was amazing, but i didnt really know what was going on or what to do and it didnt really make the game very fun and i quickly lost interest. But a few months later i decided to give it another try and i hung out on a community Server and ventrilo and i was able to learn and enjoy the game. Because they where willing to teach me and then i was turned into a "armaholic" i cant play any other game and every time i try, i lose intrest. I would love to help people out with this game. I am actually Righting a tutorial for new players in the arma series. And if anyone would like to help me please shoot me a PM and i will be happy to accept help.

Now in the topic of DayZ Players, i understand that they like the game and thats the kind of game that they like. But i think they should just stay in the standalone if zombie servival is there only interest in arma. But if you like the military side of the game, then we should take them in and help them learn some of the new aspects of the game, and show them what we can do with it. And how fun the game can really get.

Lots of forums have new player safezones, where new people can feel free and safe asking questions, that might be somewhat unwelcome in a general forum. The helpful souls visiting new player forums are usually perfectly fine with answering questions, that's already been asked and answered several times before.

It's no secret that the longer and more active you've been on a forum, the search engine becomes a lot more useful, because you've got the terminology down and know exactly which forums to look in or remember the titles of the most important threads. You can also moderate it a bit differently than the rest of the forums, where you're expected to search before submitting a new thread, so new players aren't constantly meet with a barrage of angry commands to use search.

I think really all we need is some proper guides. You want to go teamwork stuff and squad tactics? Sure, Dsylexci guides is absolutely(!!) amazing. Especially seeing it's still written from a game perspective. I noticed it myself on our TS. We had a huge influx of Arma2 players, mainly because of DayZ and also Wasteland. Now it's all good, but I keep being surprised when I realize some people don't know absolute Arma basics when they get out of their DayZ safe-zone. I do welcome all the DayZ players in the Arma community, but I'm kind of sick of having to say the same thing over and over. The problem is that Arma changes a lot over time though and the way you play the game changes often (Depending on the missions and so), so even the tutorials that came with Arma2 (And OA) often don't really fall under the best practices.

Luckily some groups already have open nights or newbie nights where they get introduced. Props for the people willing to do that.

Asking a question on the dev forums is already quite a big step, even if it's a newbie section. You have to register, post your whole reply (And probably read twenty stickies before you can even post). Watching a youtube video is already way simpler. Reading a guide somewhat harder, but can usually go more in-depth. I already like the step you guys took with letting Dsylexci make some videos. I guess we could mainly use some good documentation accessible from in-game at all times. I noticed there was already some of this (In the showcases maybe?). I just hope they get written from a gameplay perspective. Knowing how to drive a vehicle is one thing. Knowing how to actually use a vehicle properly is another thing. Doesn't have to be crazy hardcore stuff, but just some basics. If it's not possible in-game, have one central places for guides (Heck, we even got Steam guides nowadays). In-game, steam, a central website, it's all good.

Hi, this is a great initiative; wish ya luck. Let's C ya

It is really time for:

1. A new guide on how to create new islands

2. I ve been desperately looking for a guide on how to change/script effects!

The one bugbear I had with ARMA II was the aircraft AI which seemed at times to go out of its way to crash into hills or other aircraft.

If this could be fixed there would be real potential in ARMA III for me to finally recreate the "flight of the Valkyries" helicopter attack from Apocalypse now.

The one bugbear I had with ARMA II was the aircraft AI which seemed at times to go out of its way to crash into hills or other aircraft.

If this could be fixed there would be real potential in ARMA III for me to finally recreate the "flight of the Valkyries" helicopter attack from Apocalypse now.

Think you may have made a mistake. Did you mean to post this here? ;)

I'll try to start making a video series of basics if I can keep my frames up while recording =P Where do you all think I should start? And what things do the new guys think I should cover?

I have a TeamSpeak up if anyone wants to get in and talk some basics, and have a go at some proper COOP without any pressure or such. Will probable be COOP 4 or 8 depending on joiners. I have an old mate joining me as well, who is also quite new to ArmA. If anyone feels like jumping in and having fun and trying out to squad lead without pressure, get in TeamSpeak at:

no thanks. the carebear stuff doesn't belong in arma.

Could you motivate why we should avoid helping new people who might stay in our beloved armaverse? Really? Aren't you a tough soldier!

Don't feed the trolls, pl0x :)

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

First of all, once again congratulations BIS on the fantastic uptake on the game! It's amazing to see a series that i have

loved since OFP get some well deserved attention. As an old harcore player i actually welcome the new players.

However i think that the elitism sometimes shown in our ranks are horrible. New players are accused of being "hackers" and "kids" and

the consensus seems to be "if you want this or that you can go to hell, cause i've been playing with this broken system for years! Thus

you are the problem, kiddo!"

This is hostile and wrong. I actually welcome the fixing of "stiff" mechanics and the actual work towards streamlining the experience.

When i saw some threads starting with "I am new to ArmA but i would like to know how i script this" or "How can i get into squad gaming",

i am really feeling happy. Just think of what the new players can bring us!

In the spirit of my recent "enlightenment" i would like to try something. As i see request for genuinly interested new users for tutorials and

help with base game mechanics (daunting task to learn) i was thinking that i, and hopefully other more seasoned players, could offer our support

My main idea is to see if we can perhaps organize a server with a friendly TeamSpeak-setup to use for playing together with the new guys

and letting them test their missions/scripts and learning the ropes of controls, functionality and general ArmA (the 'BIS feel').

I can volunteer as a staffer and will try to help as much as i can, if someone is, instead of complaining and shouting at the "non-hardcores"

and "DayZ kids!!!" (irony), are actually willing to help me to help :)

Best Regards

Richard

To be honest, the seasoned people who have experience doing X and could help new players by doing Y already do a lot of Y. Their work is out there for you to find. So, I would suggest that if you want to help, you could find some way to bring the work that already exists closer to the people who are looking for it. So, if you're serious, time to organize your thoughts and crack open the search function!

1. A new guide on how to create new islands
A new guide as opposed to what's on BIKI? Because if all we have to go on right now as far as official tools is BI Tools 2.5, then it would still appear to be using Visitor 3.

Here is my first video of basic ARMA 3 Controls hope I didn't miss to much =P

well... i would like to say that i have NOTHING against newcomers UNLESS they are IGNORANT. i hate ignorant people no matter if it's at work or virtual reality

and ofc it's always rub me in the WRONG way when people who have never tried arma and any other mods except dz claim it to be a bad game, without listening to any advices given.

in any case, i made a tutorial on ACE , ACRE and basic teamwork on steam a while ago, here it is

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129962322

well... i would like to say that i have NOTHING against newcomers UNLESS they are IGNORANT. i hate ignorant people no matter if it's at work or virtual reality

and ofc it's always rub me in the WRONG way when people who have never tried arma and any other mods except dz claim it to be a bad game, without listening to any advices given.

in any case, i made a tutorial on ACE , ACRE and basic teamwork on steam a while ago, here it is

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129962322

I could use some ACE reference myself actually. Thanks!

About the whole ignorant players thing, i agree. What really grinds my gears however is comments like "too bad DayZ wasnt made with a real game engine, arma engine is crap cause i cant have 60fps with my b34st master rig. It runs battlefield on ultra yo! "

Of course there lies a failure to understand that the rv engine is probably the only one capable of doing what DayZ does...

But despite my irritations sometimes i actually like having some patience and every once in a while you find a new player drawn in by the franchise and thats where we need helpfulness and good guides.

I think you have to 'learn' to appreciate what arma is... And on your own, that can be daunting.

Then cue the complaints that the Arma 3 engine/alpha is too influenced by such comments... :rolleyes:

I'll agree though that there could be better "bridging" in getting people new moving in a specific direction... yes, "there isn't a big sign pointing people to the Field Manual whenever they have a 'how do i shoot weapon' question" is one of these areas that could be improved, as seemingly elementary as that sounds, and no "it's right in the main menu" evidently hasn't been enough... I like your first video so far, Twin2Win, though I unfortunately don't have more specific critiques at this time.

Then cue the complaints that the Arma 3 engine/alpha is too influenced by such comments... :rolleyes:

I'll agree though that there could be better "bridging" in getting people new moving in a specific direction... yes, "there isn't a big sign pointing people to the Field Manual whenever they have a 'how do i shoot weapon' question" is one of these areas that could be improved, as seemingly elementary as that sounds, and no "it's right in the main menu" evidently hasn't been enough... I like your first video so far, Twin2Win, though I unfortunately don't have more specific critiques at this time.

Thanks Chortles, Once I figure out what to do next I'll make another and upload it.

Also here is a video link to an op that my unit ran about 4 weeks ago before I joined up. This op was ran in ARMA 2 but it does demonstrate some tactics and general things to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3CuKbfANI

Edited by Twin2Win
adding Video Link