Sign in to follow this  
Der_Richter

Volunteers for helping out?

First of all, once again congratulations BIS on the fantastic uptake on the game! It's amazing to see a series that i have

loved since OFP get some well deserved attention. As an old harcore player i actually welcome the new players.

However i think that the elitism sometimes shown in our ranks are horrible. New players are accused of being "hackers" and "kids" and

the consensus seems to be "if you want this or that you can go to hell, cause i've been playing with this broken system for years! Thus

you are the problem, kiddo!"

This is hostile and wrong. I actually welcome the fixing of "stiff" mechanics and the actual work towards streamlining the experience.

When i saw some threads starting with "I am new to ArmA but i would like to know how i script this" or "How can i get into squad gaming",

i am really feeling happy. Just think of what the new players can bring us!

In the spirit of my recent "enlightenment" i would like to try something. As i see request for genuinly interested new users for tutorials and

help with base game mechanics (daunting task to learn) i was thinking that i, and hopefully other more seasoned players, could offer our support

My main idea is to see if we can perhaps organize a server with a friendly TeamSpeak-setup to use for playing together with the new guys

and letting them test their missions/scripts and learning the ropes of controls, functionality and general ArmA (the 'BIS feel').

I can volunteer as a staffer and will try to help as much as i can, if someone is, instead of complaining and shouting at the "non-hardcores"

and "DayZ kids!!!" (irony), are actually willing to help me to help :)

Best Regards

Richard

Some interesting points raised and we've been talking behind the scenes how to embrace and educate the younger lambs in our flock.

First of all, once again congratulations BIS on the fantastic uptake on the game! It's amazing to see a series that i have

loved since OFP get some well deserved attention. As an old harcore player i actually welcome the new players.

However i think that the elitism sometimes shown in our ranks are horrible. New players are accused of being "hackers" and "kids" and

the consensus seems to be "if you want this or that you can go to hell, cause i've been playing with this broken system for years! Thus

This is hostile and wrong. I actually welcome the fixing of "stiff" mechanics and the actual work towards streamlining the experience.

When i saw some threads starting with "I am new to ArmA but i would like to know how i script this" or "How can i get into squad gaming",

In the spirit of my recent "enlightenment" i would like to try something. As i see request for genuinly interested new users for tutorials and

help with base game mechanics (daunting task to learn) i was thinking that i, and hopefully other more seasoned players, could offer our support

My main idea is to see if we can perhaps organize a server with a friendly TeamSpeak-setup to use for playing together with the new guys

and letting them test their missions/scripts and learning the ropes of controls, functionality and general ArmA (the 'BIS feel').

I can volunteer as a staffer and will try to help as much as i can, if someone is, instead of complaining and shouting at the "non-hardcores"

and "DayZ kids!!!" (irony), are actually willing to help me to help :)

Best Regards

Richard

Good initiative, Richard!

In my opinion.

We shouldn't welcome them with open arms, we should welcome them and take them under our wings!

They will at least have to learn how it works, and how to play the game.. before they're going on a crusade to change it.

And i'll gladly teach the noobs :)

Some interesting points raised and we've been talking behind the scenes how to embrace and educate the younger lambs in our flock.

Sounds very inspiring, what would really be great is if dedicated server space could be given for this purpose OR a thread of sorts on the forum, where seasoned players willing to assist may announce when we have time to host a session ourselves and new players may announce a desire to join and perhaps get some mission tested and commented on or something.

@Winfernal: We shouldn't welcome them with open arms, we should welcome them and take them under our wings! <- Exactly this!

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

I should also add that sometimes it could be good for us "old-timers" as well, to be able to attend a session hosted by someone more knowledgable in a certain area! I for one would love for someone to educate me on the finer details of air-support flying. :)

Sounds very inspiring, what would really be great is if dedicated server space could be given for this purpose OR a thread of sorts on the forum, where seasoned players willing to assist may announce when we have time to host a session ourselves and new players may announce a desire to join and perhaps get some mission tested and commented on or something.

One of the things we're considering is a whole forum dedicated to the new players, a safe zone to ask any questions they like in the context of our games and hopefully to get help and support from other more experienced members of the community, as well as a good place for various tutes and guides etc.

The "questions and answers" section of the ArmA2 part of the forum is intended to work like this, isn't it ?

Yes, so it'll be something like that for A3

Have to agree with Der_Richter, we should help new players, not scold them for asking questions. A lot of todays "DayZ kids" are the tactical players of tomorrow. We've seen that in the past...

You should add "educative" phrases in the loading screens.

Slowpoke.gif

But really, text and manuals doesn't seem to work that well nowadays (I like them :( ) but videos do. That "

" was good and a step in the right direction. maybe more objective and pontual videos in the same style would help.

Show them the "tools", how\why use them and let they figure it out in the field I say.

When i first started ArmA. I was afraid to ask, and i was always afraid of doing mistakes. So i rarely tried something new... like being a pilot.

But eventually i gained the courage, and i now got years of ArmA experience to teach the new guys of the community! And i'll also be there for them and help them, so that they don't end up in the same situation as me. I gladly tell people that are uncertain that they should join in on events etc. you will learn! :)

Good idea Richard!

And I think that many "DayZ kids" didn´t noticed Bohemia before DayZ and now they have to realize what ArmA can offer to them! The older player are often afraid that ArmA looses it´s tactical aspects because of DayZ, Wasteland or other mods. I think it´s a enrichment and the mods give up the new player an understanding of tactical gaming in ArmA in an easy way!

I wanna help you to help!

Yeah, some people need to remember that they themselves weren't born as Arma veterans either. Give those "new kids" some time. It's not always easy for newcomers to fully grasp what Arma has to offer, since it's most certainly unique in the gaming world.

I'm down to help with this. Get that forum section up and get those games hosted. I'd be more then happy to help. Maybe if someone has some extra server hosting space we could do a little Basic for them, and show off a few tactics and some tac-don'ts =P

i fully agree with this

That "
" was good and a step in the right direction. maybe more objective and pontual videos in the same style would help.

This is a video series, so more specific topics are coming up indeed :)

Perfect topic for my first post here. :)

I'm playing ArmA since not even a year, mostly singleplayer. I bought it while the first real DayZ hypes. MilSim + some Zombie Mod seemed good enough for me. When I played the tutorial (the first time, some years ago, just to make clearI realised that I had played this game already some years ago (demo/free) and quitted after some minutes because I didnt understand a single thing.

Well, after testing DayZ for some days and heading to Arma2, i realised that the game has so much to offer. This huge map, the clunky but realistic movements etc. So I started playing the campaign which took me about 40h playtime (is much, isnt it?), restarting almost every mission so many times because of dieing for being unaware, doing stupid things or bugs. After all? I enjoyed the campaign. I enjoyed the game. But I didnt know what to do afterwards. Playing in some community would be too much for me, I dont want time schedules for when I have to play.

Arma 3 is somehow a new start for me, I want to follow the (community) development as much as I can to learn about the game, its features and the community itself.

Yesterday I finished my first mission for Arma 3. Never edited before but I wanted some singleplayer-4-man-squad-fun like in Arma 2. It needs much polishing but I'm proud of the results. Took me some time to read thousands of pages about triggers, tasks and so on.

Edit: Almost forgot what I what I wanted to say:

Some text tutorials for players that start from the scratch would be cool. It was quite hard for me to learn how to play this game. Also the editing tutorials that i found are hard to understand if you want to make your first mission and never did something like that. :/

I am - by the way - one of those hated CoD-players. Played 1500h of CoD4 which is still my favorite game. New ones suck but this one is perfect for some fast action. Atleast with Promod, normal game gets annoying when you reach some skill. :p

Edited by SeiFe

This is a video series, so more specific topics are coming up indeed :)

I'm aware of that. May I ask what you plan to cover on those videos?

Game controls (as soon you define a final scheme I guess), game features (arty system, UAV...), clarifications (maps vs missions vs gamemodes; this create some confusion to those not familiar with the series), editor stuff or even game configuration (AToC, Dificulty settings, 3D Res...)

Anyway, nice to see you guys (and we, the community) trying to help and hook those new to the series.

Perfect topic for my first post here. :)

I'm playing ArmA since not even a year, mostly singleplayer. I bought it while the first real DayZ hypes. MilSim + some Zombie Mod seemed good enough for me. When I played the tutorial (the first time, some years ago, just to make clearI realised that I had played this game already some years ago (demo/free) and quitted after some minutes because I didnt understand a single thing.

Well, after testing DayZ for some days and heading to Arma2, i realised that the game has so much to offer. This huge map, the clunky but realistic movements etc. So I started playing the campaign which took me about 40h playtime (is much, isnt it?), restarting almost every mission so many times because of dieing for being unaware, doing stupid things or bugs. After all? I enjoyed the campaign. I enjoyed the game. But I didnt know what to do afterwards. Playing in some community would be too much for me, I dont want time schedules for when I have to play.

Arma 3 is somehow a new start for me, I want to follow the (community) development as much as I can to learn about the game, its features and the community itself.

Yesterday I finished my first mission for Arma 3. Never edited before but I wanted some singleplayer-4-man-squad-fun like in Arma 2. It needs much polishing but I'm proud of the results. Took me some time to read thousands of pages about triggers, tasks and so on.

Edit: Almost forgot what I what I wanted to say:

Some text tutorials for players that start from the scratch would be cool. It was quite hard for me to learn how to play this game. Also the editing tutorials that i found are hard to understand if you want to make your first mission and never did something like that. :/

I am - by the way - one of those hated CoD-players. Played 1500h of CoD4 which is still my favorite game. New ones suck but this one is perfect for some fast action. Atleast with Promod, normal game gets annoying when you reach some skill. :p

CoD 4 is good. Modding! I love CoD 4. It is the ones coming after that one that is... meh.

And welcome to the community! :)

Playing in some community would be too much for me, I dont want time schedules for when I have to play.

A lot of clans and other groups offer public coop evenings (see my sig for a shameless plug). At least for CiA, it's simply come in on one of the COOP nights, and if you've got enough, you leave, no obligations or anything, no schedule, no ranks or anything else that distracts from playing.

Well, I'm an Arma/OFP veteran, and I have played CoD too... not that many hours (about 40, I guess), but there you have it :P

Edited by Varanon
Missing closing bracke

A lot of clans and other groups offer public coop evenings (see my sig for a shameless plug). At least for CiA, it's simply come in on one of the COOP nights, and if you've got enough, you leave, no obligations or anything, no schedule, no ranks or anything else that distracts from playing.

Well, I'm an Arma/OFP veteran, and I have played CoD too... not that many hours (about 40, I guess), but there you have it :P

Maybe I would even like playing in a organised group but times the problem. :D

Thanks for the hint btw.

CoD 4 is good. Modding! I love CoD 4. It is the ones coming after that one that is... meh.

And welcome to the community! :)

Yeah, it is. CoD4's community is cool, the game is genius imo. And it's a completely other world than Arma. I don't understand why it's even compared that often..

Thanks. :)

Alright... I was thinking of trying to host a first session myself this weekend with some coop squad play. My plan was to let new players take turns in leading and commanding the squad and i will just be along as a regular gi joe for the ride. This way i can also answer questions on commanding and tactics as we go along. Commanding a fire team is something that is crucial also in single player, in arma... If interested pm or shout here and i will see if i can get a private teamspeak going. Any veterans wanting to help out, are also very welcome. Bear in mind that my machine while powerful, may not be able to accomodate anything over, say coop-15

I would like to help too - but I have no Mic atm. But i can answer questions in chat too! A good idea. I saw many people online that enjoyed a well led squad with missions and all that roleplay that was involved. In fact they all said its the best they ever palyed so far.

Its just that most good sevrers are now locked due to so many guys shooting at everything that moves -even friendlies and ppl that drove them crazy.

I am for the middle ground of leading newbies into the deeper areas of armas possibilities!

If there is a server anounced I will join there frequently and answer questions and help in doing missions.

--

I tried to host my pc as server more than once but I can only manage 3-4 people.

I would like to help too - but I have no Mic atm. But i can answer questions in chat too! A good idea. I saw many people online that enjoyed a well led squad with missions and all that roleplay that was involved. In fact they all said its the best they ever palyed so far.

Its just that most good sevrers are now locked due to so many guys shooting at everything that moves -even friendlies and ppl that drove them crazy.

I am for the middle ground of leading newbies into the deeper areas of armas possibilities!

If there is a server anounced I will join there frequently and answer questions and help in doing missions.

--

I tried to host my pc as server more than once but I can only manage 3-4 people.

I actually think chat would be preferable due to easier understanding and clarity, and also due to not all players having mic. Teamspek for announcements/chat would be active however.