Sign in to follow this  
CiberX15

Play Call of Duty

You know what bothers me most on these forums? Being told to go play Call of Duty. Any time anyone brings up a new idea, a change that might make this game more accessible someone always says, "go play Call of Duty." And we all know that that translates to "You're too stupid to be playing this game." If you can't come up with a better response then your stupid, don't post.

1. You just signed up to the forum unless you have been around before hand.

2. If your idea is about truly about accessibility in Arma I don't know anyone would say go back to Call of Duty unless they were a troll.

3. Its the internet deal with it.

Can you give me an example?

You know what bothers me most on these forums? Being told to go play Call of Duty. Any time anyone brings up a new idea, a change that might make this game more accessible someone always says, "go play Call of Duty." And we all know that that translates to "You're too stupid to be playing this game." If you can't come up with a better response then your stupid, don't post.

If someone posts "go play Call of Duty", it doesn't translate to "you're too stupid to be playing this game". Mostly they mean that the gameplay changes you propose are not what they want for the ArmA series and they might not work as good as more accessible games and maybe the gameplay in the ArmA series is not what you are looking for.

The could have phrased it a little better but you could also ignore them, this is the internet.

Now your reply "If you can't come up with a better response then your stupid, don't post." is actually calling people stupid and ordering them to not post.

Also do you need to start a new thread if the one you started is not going how you wanted?

You still have an active discussion there.

Would correcting your "then your stupid" to "then you're stupid" be a reason enough to start a new thread regarding grammar nazis and not continue in this one? :)

Edited by TonyGrunt

At least there isn't a scroll wheel menu in COD. That's a bonus I guess?

If someone posts "go play Call of Duty", it doesn't translate to "you're too stupid to be playing this game". Mostly they mean that the gameplay changes you propose are not what they want for the ArmA series and they might not work as good as more accessible games and maybe the gameplay in the ArmA series is not what you are looking for.

The could have phrased it a little better but you could also ignore them, this is the internet.

Actually you do get a reasonable response when the proposition is logical but won't fit ArmA's core ideas.

You get "go play CoD" when a bunch of new members invades the forum and starts outright demanding cutting out stuff like mouse wheel menu because they don't want to learn to use it. They just want an (A)wesome button for everything. Unfortunately the inability and a lack of desire to learn something more complicated than what a generic TDM shooter offers is a common trait encountered in an average CoD/BF player.

It's as simple as that.

Edited by metalcraze

Actually you do get a reasonable response when the proposition is logical but won't fit ArmA's core ideas.

You get "go play CoD" when a bunch of new members invades the forum and starts outright demanding cutting out stuff like mouse wheel menu because they don't want to learn to use it. They just want an (A)wesome button for everything.

It's as simple as that.

Yes.

This is true, and that is why, in some cases... that "Go play CoD instead" is an argument you can and have to use. :)

- Matchmaking

- Ranks and Unlocks

- Knifing/takedowns!!!

- Jumping!!

- "It is too hard with all these hotkeys"

- "It is too difficult with all these stances"

- "The map is too large"

- Remove the scroll menu, implant "interact button"

- etc, etc...

At some point, when you've tried reasonable counter arguments. All you can say is... "You wouldn't like ArmA, go back to play whatever you are playing with these features."

Edited by Winfernal

Fail Thread Achievement unlocked.

You win the thread

You get "go play CoD" when a bunch of new members invades the forum and starts outright demanding cutting out stuff like mouse wheel menu because they don't want to learn to use it. They just want an (A)wesome button for everything. Unfortunately the inability and a lack of desire to learn something more complicated than what a generic TDM shooter offers is a common trait encountered in an average CoD/BF player.

It's as simple as that.

This. By far the majority of regular/veteran members here are reasonable people, who will respect a well argumented and thought out wish/idea/possible change. However, when (and this tends to be the case) newer members suggest ideas with very little reasoning, very little thought and what ultimately reeks of trying to push what is a rather niche and unique game, that we've grown quite fond of over the past decade, towards something more mainstream like the 100s of other FPS out there, then yes, expect a short and sharp shock.

Ultimately it may come across as unfair for the new members, especially as they're not as privvy to the last year's inundation of idiotic threads that means our patience has been seriously tested (I'm resisting the urge to mention DayZ) and has contributed to some of the more... errr... entertaining replies.

Unlike you guys though, maybe it's because I feel old or I actually like to think up the "why not?" but I actually prefer to respond to those requests with a "straight face", so to speak, instead of "go back to COD". :p After all, while I was around pre-DayZ, I'm newer relative to those who were here for Arma 2 at release, much less Arma 1 or OFP, so I know that when I became an Arma fan pre-DayZ it was for different reasons (many of them of the "ironic" sort... but more seriously, I actually have some antipathy for "milsim" and I'm basically here for the "sandbox") so unlike you guys, I've got some built-in sympathy for the new guys... though I suppose my personal cynicism about the supposedly reasonable long-time members fuels that too. ;)

Yet at the same time, those reasons are why I would disagree with them, so I prefer to be clear and lay those out. :D

CiberX15, I don't mind you PMing your wishlist. :p

Not denying that many new players have some wishes that I don't expect to ever be fulfilled. But on the other side you should understand how the "go play COD" or "go play BF" might be a little provocative for a new member not accustomed to the ArmA series and its community.

Just telling them off with "go play COD" and not giving them a valid argument, it shouldn't come as a surprise when they get annoyed.

Try to shoot down their expectations not so harshly. :)

Unlike you guys though, maybe it's because I feel old or I actually like to think up the "why not?" but I actually prefer to respond to those requests with a "straight face", so to speak, instead of "go back to COD". :p After all, while I was around pre-DayZ, I'm newer relative to those who were here for Arma 2 at release, much less Arma 1 or OFP, so I know that when I became an Arma fan pre-DayZ it was for different reasons (many of them of the "ironic" sort... but more seriously, I actually have some antipathy for "milsim" and I'm basically here for the "sandbox") so unlike you guys, I've got some built-in sympathy for the new guys... though I suppose my personal cynicism about the supposedly reasonable long-time members fuels that too. ;)

Yet at the same time, those reasons are why I would disagree with them, so I prefer to be clear and lay those out. :D

CiberX15, I don't mind you PMing your wishlist. :p

I don't like how you're automatically referring us all as "you guys", putting us in the same box. :(

I said that, when I've tried my best to reason with some of the people demanding x feature to ArmA, and they still show ignorant behavior. I tell them to either get used to ArmA how it is, or go back to whatever they're playing. :)

If this feature is something that would fit in the ArmA universe, of course i support it! But matchmaking and ranks/unlocks, for example... it doesn't fit.

CiberX15,

Ignore them - if the devs listened to them, we wouldn't have even 10% of improvements that we do in regards to physics & infantry combat in A3A.

CiberX15,

Ignore them - if the devs listened to them, we wouldn't have even 10% of improvements that we do in regards to physics & infantry combat in A3A.

That being said.

There's a certain difference from people being nostalgic and conservative, compared to the ones wanting to improve the game, while keeping the "core" that makes ArmA so special. :) (I'm the latter)

Scroll list & F-cycle are, frankly, crap. Good thing that there's 1 less item for me to worry about on the F-key - dedicated grenades FTW.

Here's the megathread,

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139228-Controls-Scheme-amp-User-Interface-Feedback&highlight=interface+controls

One proposal was as such,

Numbey key 1 - Primary weapon;

Key 2 - Sidearm/Handgun;

Key 3 - Under barrel Grenade Launcher;

Key 4 - Grenades (Frag/Smoke (red)/Smoke (green)/Smoke (etc) - tap repeatedly to cycle between types)

Key 5 - AT/RPGs;

Key 6 - Mines & AT mines (press 6 again to cycle between types)

Key 7 - Satchels (7 to cycle types)

Dedicated number keys for all weaponry & equipment -- as it stands, number key row isn't used (yet again) in A3A atm. Scroll list needs to be unloaded of these actions, the rest can become context-sensitive with a single action button = Point at door, press X = door opens with no danger of accidentally placing the satchel, or switching to your AT, or doing whatever there is in the scroll menu at that time.

F key can then become the fire selector for primary weapon - Safety/Single/Burst/Auto - that's it.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I don't like how you're automatically referring us all as "you guys", putting us in the same box. :(
That being said.

There's a certain difference from people being nostalgic and conservative, compared to the ones wanting to improve the game, while keeping the "core" that makes ArmA so special. :) (I'm the latter)

Unfortunately the former seem to have pretensions of being the latter (or they themselves confuse their condition with the latter) so we can sometimes confuse the two... checking fire. :D Mea culpa, after seeing that you're actually newer than I am... though my join date is close to when I got into Arma, I don't know if that's the case with you...
I said that, when I've tried my best to reason with some of the people demanding x feature to ArmA, and they still show ignorant behavior. I tell them to either get used to ArmA how it is, or go back to whatever they're playing. :)
Funny coincidence, that's how I react to the "nostalgic and conservative" about Arma 3's changes! :icon_twisted:
If this feature is something that would fit in the ArmA universe, of course i support it! But matchmaking and ranks/unlocks, for example... it doesn't fit.
Look at my response to you in the other thread on "what BF3 should have been" -- my response to the ranks/unlocks request would be to tell them "ranks and unlocks can be scripted into a TDM mission, but that very same modularity is why it's not in the vanilla game". ;)
CiberX15,

Bro-fist plzkthx... though I have to imagine, especially after the E3 presentations and after the Steamworks announcement, that if Jay Crowe, DnA, Smookie, Vespa and Maruk wanted something such as the infantry combat changes themselves, then by gosh were they gettin' 'em no matter how high the complaints! Didn'tcha see the "Better animations?" thread? :icon_twisted:

Unfortunately the former seem to have pretensions of being the latter (or they themselves confuse their condition with the latter) so we can sometimes confuse the two... checking fire. :D Mea culpa, after seeing that you're actually newer than I am... though my join date is close to when I got into Arma, I don't know if that's the case with you...Funny coincidence, that's how I react to the "nostalgic and conservative" about Arma 3's changes! :icon_twisted:Look at my response to you in the other thread on "what BF3 should have been" -- my response to the ranks/unlocks request would be to tell them "ranks and unlocks can be scripted into a TDM mission, but that very same modularity is why it's not in the vanilla game". ;)Bro-fist plzkthx... though I have to imagine, especially after the E3 presentations and after the Steamworks announcement, that if Jay Crowe, DnA, Smookie, Vespa and Maruk wanted something such as the infantry combat changes themselves, then by gosh were they gettin' 'em no matter how high the complaints! Didn'tcha see the "Better animations?" thread? :icon_twisted:

Hey, don't take my shit out of context! :(

You have to include

with the
I said that, when I've tried my best to reason with some of the people demanding x feature to ArmA, and they still show ignorant behavior. I tell them to either get used to ArmA how it is, or go back to whatever they're playing.

Or else i seem like a huge hypocrite. Don't do like CNN! :mad:

As long as the feature is something that would improve/fit in the ArmA universe. I'm all in. Thats what i'm saying. But sadly, not everything fits. People simply can't demand every feature from other games into ArmA.

Scroll list & F-cycle are, frankly, crap. Good thing that there's 1 less item for me to worry about on the F-key - dedicated grenades FTW.
I'd love to be able to downvote comments on the feedback tracker such as whoever it was that proposed "G to pull out grenade, R to pull pin, G to throw grenade"... ugh. I'm fine with the current grenade implementation even though I know that it's temporary, but I accept RiE's rationales (and not the nostalgics... ugh) for why it should be dialed back, i.e. the inability to cook or to meaningfully manipulate the throw... and of course, there's Dslyecxi's grenade concept as a great model to imagine in its place! :D

I'll say though that the F-cycle isn't as bad now as in Arma 2, in that underbarrel grenade launchers being part of the F-cycle actually makes a bit of sense when you consider that they're still considered their own weapon variant (of the base rifle) in Arma 3 alpha and thus could be treated as a "fire mode" themselves... the big (and more crucial) change was getting hand grenades off of the F-cycle, which did get quite a few positive comments when RiE hinted at it. :D

I'll disagree though re: your claim that the number key row isn't used, isn't the number key row still currently used for commanding AI in a squad that the player is leading?

Thread closed.

Blanket statements on forum members are not welcome or acceptable.

Feedback should be in the correct threads and forums.