noubernou

A.C.R.E - Advanced Combat Radio Environment for Arma 3

I'd say it's an issue with how VAS and similiar scripts handles the saving of the ACRE radio. IIRC if you take a brand new radio from the normal crate it's a blank item which then get's replaced by radio with specific ID, then if you save it in the VAS it saves this specific radio (ID). If you did the save in SP, just as everybody else in the group, everybody has the set with ID1 radio saved... Go into MP, everyone loads their sets and there's the issue...

At least that's my explanation for this, if everyone takes a brand new radio from physical crate every time it does not happen.

So I guess it would need (if one doesn't already exist) another check if the ID is duplicated for a radio with already attached ID (eg. one saved in VAS).

Edited by Max255[PL]

I've always attributed most collisions to be because of gear scripts. The new system should help fix that, but honestly it really needs to be the gear script writers that pay attention to breaking ACRE. It really shouldn't be ACRE's responsibility to have to handle potentially dozens and dozens of slightly different gear scripts. I believe ACRE is popular enough that it warrants people attempting to be compatible with it. The unique radio ID system has been around for 4 years now in ACRE, and it is also in TFR and I imagine other mods will begin to use it over time since it provides a fairly simple way to make specific items with retained properties.

What is the "correct" way to deal with ACRE, I have always just used the generic class names (like ACRE_PRC152 or w/e) to give them to units. Is this right?

What is the "correct" way to deal with ACRE, I have always just used the generic class names (like ACRE_PRC152 or w/e) to give them to units. Is this right?

Yes, it's only a problem when you add it based on ID

I have been watching for this to just test it out but since taskforce radio has been really working hard and honestly working pretty damn good I just don't know if there is any point to us (my group) switching to ACRE unless there is some seriously awesome features. It has taken a very very very long time

I just don't know if there is any point to us (my group) switching to ACRE unless there is some seriously awesome features.

The ability to talk beyond 20 meters?

I just don't know if there is any point to us (my group) switching to ACRE unless there is some seriously awesome features.
ACRE has the cooler BEEP Sound before talking! - nuff said.

I have been watching for this to just test it out but since taskforce radio has been really working hard and honestly working pretty damn good I just don't know if there is any point to us (my group) switching to ACRE unless there is some seriously awesome features. It has taken a very very very long time

I faced a similar dilemma when I was buying my first Ebook reader.

Should I get the well known, trusted and tested Kindle ? or this really Cool cheaper version from Russia that can do all the same things for 10th the price the online add claimed ?

I got the cheap version and it broke down very soon after purchase.

I now own a kindle.

And ill soon be using ACRE2 :)

Not sure I get it :) You can switch your volume level and talk for 60 meters if you want.

Pretty ballsy move if you consider that TFAR is a solid modification with constant updates, WIP reports as well as a developer who closely listens to what the community wants from him, while ACRE is currently nothing but promises, wishes and unicorn tears.

A valid point was raised, TFAR is out and a lot of communities use it, the ACRE version that is used by A3 communities is a simple port with the same issues that ACRE carried over from A2 + a few likely incompability problems. If you have a large group of people who constantly play with each other (maybe who even have a custom modpack) you'd more likely stay with what you have rather than switching over to something that is not confirmed working and has lesser field-testing than your current radio mod. Don't get me wrong, ACRE was a great plugin/ mod for A2 and it surely has a great reputation, but reputation is past and when I play A3 I don't care how awesome ACRE was, what I want is a good radio modification and in that point TFAR simply whoops ACRE's butt at the moment.

ACRE has worked fine. And I look forward to ACRE2.

Issues with using older TS seems to have been the only hang up.(keeping the server on the older API).

Nkeys underwater mic is a plus.

Waiting and wanting to use towers, and substations/relays,boosters, and long with Jammers/interceptors, scanners. AND the AI being able to hear the Radios if they have the gear/equipment. Also the AI using the Rads for AI_aware, and being able to jam them up, to play some really stupid COOP is what I need to have a complete life away from real life...

Hell I luv both mods, prefer a west coast one tho....(yes I did say that) LOL

Pretty ballsy move if you consider that TFAR is a solid modification with constant updates, WIP reports as well as a developer who closely listens to what the community wants from him, while ACRE is currently nothing but promises, wishes and unicorn tears.

A valid point was raised, TFAR is out and a lot of communities use it, the ACRE version that is used by A3 communities is a simple port with the same issues that ACRE carried over from A2 + a few likely incompability problems. If you have a large group of people who constantly play with each other (maybe who even have a custom modpack) you'd more likely stay with what you have rather than switching over to something that is not confirmed working and has lesser field-testing than your current radio mod. Don't get me wrong, ACRE was a great plugin/ mod for A2 and it surely has a great reputation, but reputation is past and when I play A3 I don't care how awesome ACRE was, what I want is a good radio modification and in that point TFAR simply whoops ACRE's butt at the moment.

Except most people I know would consider not being able to talk to someone more than 20 meters away with out having to use a radio a game breaking feature.

I am not criticizing NKey or his dedication, it is just clear that ACRE and TFAR have different audiences. ACRE is determined to be a radio simulator, the DCS of radio addons (lol how boring though :p), TFAR is the Ace Combat of radio addons. Both serve purposes. One isn't able to really be compared to the other.

Also yes, ACRE2 has taken a long time to come out, but if you think about ACRE1, it didn't reach full stability until 2012, two years after it's release. ACRE2 is almost a total rewrite and I am trying to avoid having as many huge issues as ACRE1 had during release. I think people have grown too accustomed to early releases of software that are feature incomplete and still a major work in progress. That is not how I want to have ACRE2 go out the door. I want it to be a stable mature platform where content is easily added and mission makers and external radio developers are not jerked around as systems are changed.

Except most people I know would consider not being able to talk to someone more than 20 meters away with out having to use a radio a game breaking feature.

Sorry to have to say this NouberNou, but most people would prefer to have the ability to control their voice output. The lads over at ShackTac proved that fact back in ArmA2 with their ACRE Volume Control which proved to be very popular.

Sorry to have to say this NouberNou, but most people would prefer to have the ability to control their voice output. The lads over at ShackTac proved that fact back in ArmA2 with their ACRE Volume Control which proved to be very popular.

Having that ability is great in TFR but then you have THOSE people that insist on having it set to yell and you can hear them 30 meters away talking about a sandwich or some BS.

Yes, that control works on the APIs provided by ACRE. The reason a default control wasn't added is because there wasn't any major consensus on how it should be implemented. The STVolume control is now how I would have implemented it, but I figured the community would sort out something they felt was best, and they did. It is still built off of ACRE's built in API system for adjusting volume (and the one STVolume uses is one of THREE different ways to do it).

It is just clear that ACRE and TFAR have different audiences. ACRE is determined to be a radio simulator, the DCS of radio addons (lol how boring though :p), TFAR is the Ace Combat of radio addons. Both serve purposes. One isn't able to really be compared to the other.

What makes you say that? Maybe I'm not aware of what you have in the works for ACRE. What features would make it the DCS of radio addons that TFAR don't have?

What makes you say that? Maybe I'm not aware of what you have in the works for ACRE. What features would make it the DCS of radio addons that TFAR don't have?

http://disciplinavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Operators-Manual.pdf <-- start readin' :p

Also TFAR doesn't do any radio signal calculations as far as I know. ACRE from day 1 has used radio industry standards level radio propagation models, as well as antenna radiation pattern models to model signal loss from terrain, distance, angle, etc.

So, you are implementing a thales radio?

Not entirely sure what that link should mean, I assume you mean you are implementing this radio to a realistic standard.

Does this mean the a3 version of ACRE (ACRE 2 or whatever we are calling it) is going to be more complex then the last one?

If so, are we still going to be able to use radios on the complexity level of the arma 2 addon, if you add some more complex ones in this?

Do you plan on adding the ones from arma 2 more or less fully, or is that not what you have planned?

They will be as realistic as possible, but of course mission makers can use default settings where you shouldn't have to touch the radios. That being said if you want to, you can, and do cool stuff with them.

http://disciplinavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Operators-Manual.pdf <-- start readin' :p

Also TFAR doesn't do any radio signal calculations as far as I know. ACRE from day 1 has used radio industry standards level radio propagation models, as well as antenna radiation pattern models to model signal loss from terrain, distance, angle, etc.

What are you mean with "radio signal calculations"? Also, TFAR have terrain interception model.

Wouldn't y'all say that the thread has kinda gotten WAY off topic here? We went from what the next release of ACRE will include, to an argument about the differences between TFAR and ACRE. Now, color me stupid, but that seems a little immature to continue. May we please just drop the whole back and forth comments, and move on to talking about the new version of ACRE? Thank you.

yeah its kind of derailed but nevertheless interesting. TFAR kind of cannibalized my hype for ACRE2 as it has everything i need plus voice activation. i liked the distortion effect of ACRE a little more and the default setting being more than 20m talk distance but thats it.

that being said its really outstanding work on both sides and i am looking forward to trying ACRE2.

Sent from mobile

Some features that I hope will be in Acre2 are :-

Retransmit Functions.

Easy turn on off functions for incapacitated medical scripting.

Power supply features with power loss due to batteries running out.

The ability to mount radios in vehicles as well as vehicle based radios which any one in or around vehicle can hear.

AIs ability to hear and react to radios and voices.

Would be kind of cool if Acre2 auto disabled ingame VOIP, disabled radio subtitles and disabled player radio messages aswell.

would save mission scripters from having to disable voip and trying to get around or disable Arma3s insane radio subtitles and radio voice messages which break the immersion.

Some features that I hope will be in Acre2 are :-

Would be kind of cool if Acre2 auto disabled ingame VOIP, disabled radio subtitles and disabled player radio messages aswell.

would save mission scripters from having to disable voip and trying to get around or disable Arma3s insane radio subtitles and radio voice messages which break the immersion.

VOIP can be disabled on the server for all missions, thats where that option should probably stay.

As for disabling the radio text, that should also be up to mission makers/server admins. In a lot of cases it is still useful to be able to see the *chat messages for a number of reasons (administration, JIP, etc).