noubernou

A.C.R.E - Advanced Combat Radio Environment for Arma 3

Firstly I have to say I really like where you seem to be taking ACRE (especially if you are still going with what you posted on reddit a while ago about being the DCS of radios), I for one enjoy overly complicated simulations.

My question however is, do you think it will ever be possible to interact with ACRE from outside of ArmA? Like being able to broadcast and receive over the radio from an external system. I ask as I have had a few ideas while playing that would relatively simple to do if only it was possible to interact with the TS plugin without ArmA running.

Keep up the good work, ACRE has caused me to hate playing most other games with voice communication because its become so natural.

Also I just have to ask, were you inspired by CNR by any chance

A external API is in the works (planning stages).

I actually didn't know about CNR till after starting the project and looking at competition in the VBS market. Apparently CNR has never heard of us (which is doubtful) when asked about us at trade shows, but a couple other radio simulation development companies have (even going so far as to use ACRE as reference material, which is funny because they chose something so insanely inaccurate to use us as a reference for).

I believe, as far as software only radio simulation goes, we deliver far more features right now than CNR does, and CNR will not even be in the same league as ACRE2.

wow that sounds great, maybe a software company can sponsor the great work your development team is doing. I know the clan I am with, will employ ACRE on Arma 3 once the server admin is able to get his ACRE to work with teamspeak, apparently every time he uses acre his teamspeak crashes when used on the server, I personnally havent had ts crash, just have to get used to my ts mic being muted when I die, lol.

Just out of curiosity should teamspeak mute the mike when we get killed or is this a clitch.

Just out of curiosity should teamspeak mute the mike when we get killed or is this a clitch.
Dead men can't talk and give away enemy positions.

ACRE error erroe undifined variale in expresion _jerr_err_u

on the latest arma 3 i get a debug message saying '...

};

_args + _str;

};

_return =|#|_JERR_ERR_U

_call = _functionName + ",".."

erroe undifined variale in expresion _jerr_err_u

File x\jayarma2lib\addons\common\XEH_preint.sqf, line 24

if any one could help that would be grate thanks!

i forgot to add when this message pops up i cant hear any one ells speak.

ACRE error erroe undifined variale in expresion _jerr_err_u

on the latest arma 3 i get a debug message saying '...

};

_args + _str;

};

_return =|#|_JERR_ERR_U

_call = _functionName + ",".."

erroe undifined variale in expresion _jerr_err_u

File x\jayarma2lib\addons\common\XEH_preint.sqf, line 24

if any one could help that would be grate thanks!

i forgot to add when this message pops up i cant hear any one ells speak.

Getting the same error here too.

Right now it is focused on A2 still, because I believe that is where a majority of the serious user base will be, even in 12 months,

I'm curious about this. The answer seems obvious, but why exactly would this be the case? Is it just because Arma 2 has been out for longer and is established better? Is it because people are angry or hesitant about Arma 3's futuristic setting? If this has already been answered, I'd like to at least be pointed toward where that answer was made. Thanks.

I'm curious about this. The answer seems obvious, but why exactly would this be the case? Is it just because Arma 2 has been out for longer and is established better? Is it because people are angry or hesitant about Arma 3's futuristic setting? If this has already been answered, I'd like to at least be pointed toward where that answer was made. Thanks.

A lot of the combined assets just aren't here yet. Helicopters, LAVs, APCs, Tanks, etc etc. To support a unit portraying modern day.

However I don't want to derail the thread with an off-topic discussion. :)

yeah its interestin ay, I don't have any links for u but from my experience in our clan/community the majority of ppl prefer arma 2 atm. I put it down to (these are their thoughts not mine) furture setting takes away realism, they were keen on it at alpha release but the lack of content made them bored. to be fair it is hard to compete with the immersion of ace2.

for me I have never looked back, I love the refined engine as it works well on my machine. I use track ir and I cant stand the micro stutter of a2.

I don't think these type of players will even think about converting to a3 until ace3 is released.

yeah its interestin ay, I don't have any links for u but from my experience in our clan/community the majority of ppl prefer arma 2 atm. I put it down to (these are their thoughts not mine) furture setting takes away realism, they were keen on it at alpha release but the lack of content made them bored. to be fair it is hard to compete with the immersion of ace2.

for me I have never looked back, I love the refined engine as it works well on my machine. I use track ir and I cant stand the micro stutter of a2.

I don't think these type of players will even think about converting to a3 until ace3 is released.

Personally I think its just the lack of mods, a lot of people who have been playing ArmA 2 for years have a huge collection of mods they use on a daily basis and rely on. The future setting isn't an issue for most people it seems, theres so much out already that can be used to make it not future.

For many that i play with it is the lack of mods, and the future setting, many are hoping that ACE will eliminate the future assets haha

ACRE is installed onto our server and it works, kind of.

We have no "Transmit" box and CTRL+Shift+X does not work but the functionality is working.

Seems as though none of the ACRE GUI is working?

Any help please?

We have ACRE working fine on our A3 public server, and should have a repo on our website for it soon.

I would like to have a satellite radio that ignores terrain interference.

I've been thinking about this a lot too, especially because of the futuristic setting of A3 with the antiquated short-wave radio, but the problem with satellite communication is (or should be in A3) cloud cover, large/tall objects, and solar interference. The beauty of ACRE is it replicates the problems of communicating over great distances.

ACRE is installed onto our server and it works, kind of.

We have no "Transmit" box and CTRL+Shift+X does not work but the functionality is working.

Seems as though none of the ACRE GUI is working?

Any help please?

I have reset the server and reinstalled ACRE and the same problem persists.

The same issues appears with our dedi server. It seems to be mission dependant. With Occupation the ACRE transmit button or Ctrl + Shift + X GUI does not appear. However, when running Insurgent Occupation the GUI does show.

Is it possible to pre-program individual radios for a entire team in advance via script? Instead of forcing the player to adjust it when joined? If its possible then how? :)

Check the acre API! Tons of nice things there. Can't post you the link as I'm on my phone.

Check the acre API! Tons of nice things there. Can't post you the link as I'm on my phone.

ah! Awesome found it! Thx

does this work for jayarma3lib or am i looking at the wrong folder in acre to edit? can not seem to find XEH_preijayarma2lib_common.pbo.

My bad, the file with the problem is call XEH_preinit.sqf which is packed inside of jayarma2lib_common.pbo

I'm not sure what _JERR_ERR_U should be, probably either false or -1 or 0. I just changed it to 0 and it seems to be working.

In fact you have to do :

_return = "_JERR_ERR_U";

;)

Edited by chal00

I have searched through the threads and did not find an answer. I am looking to find someone to can tell me where in the ACRE script it replaces the ARMA default radio with a 343, any other effective method that does not duplicate radios upon respawn or JIP scenarios. I want the 152 to be the default radio that all soldiers receive when logging into the server.

The 343 just does not have the range to communicate with other members that are out on maneuvers somewhere on Altis.

I have searched through the threads and did not find an answer. I am looking to find someone to can tell me where in the ACRE script it replaces the ARMA default radio with a 343, any other effective method that does not duplicate radios upon respawn or JIP scenarios. I want the 152 to be the default radio that all soldiers receive when logging into the server.

The 343 just does not have the range to communicate with other members that are out on maneuvers somewhere on Altis.

If you are running with ACRE as a dependency in your mission it may be easier to remove and replace the default radio with a 152. There are a few ways to do this, but based on your post is sounds like you want all players to start with a 152 by default, in that case I would add the following to your mission init.sqf:

if (local player) then {
player unassignItem "ItemRadio";
player removeItem "ItemRadio";
player addWeapon "ACRE_PRC152";
};

This will remove the default radio from the radio slot then remove it from inventory, then add in a 152 that will go directly into the radio slot.

Only thing is that if this is a persistent MP mission (players can join/leave whenever) then make sure you perform a JIP check BEFORE the above script is executed. You can do so by placing this code before the above code in the mission init.sqf:

if (!isServer && (player != player)) then {
waitUntil {player == player};
waitUntil {time > 10};
};

So the whole thing would look like this:

waitUntil {time > 10};
};

if (local player) then {
};

Hope this helps!

-Simon

**EDIT**

Just realized that you could run this even if ACRE is not a dependency for your mission. Just need to make a check for if a player is running ACRE and if they are then do the radio swap. Would look like this:

waitUntil {time > 10};
};

if (local player) then {
if (isClass(configFile>>"CfgPatches">>"acre_main")) then {
};
};

Going one further here, you could even spawn in a ACRE Radio box for each player that is running ACRE. The box would be local to each player so they would each have their own box. Just put a marker on the map where you want the box to be at and name it acreCrate then do this:

waitUntil {time > 10};
};

if (local player) then {
if (isClass(configFile>>"CfgPatches">>"acre_main")) then {
	_acrebox = "ACRE_RadioBox" createVehicleLocal (getMarkerPos "acreCrate");
	_acrebox allowDamage false;
	_acrebox setPos (getMarkerPos "acreCrate");
};
};

Anyone that isn't running ACRE will receive an error for the radio, but it shouldn't effect them beyond that.

So here is a sample mission I just did on Altis (Dev build) so you can take a look at it - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7196743/acreTest.Altis.zip

-Simon

Edited by Simon

I think when I tried this method in the past, I ended up with players either JIP or respawned that had either duplicates of the 152 in their inventory or they would have the 152 in their inventory but never in the radio slot. Once I get home I will try this and see if i have that 152 in inventory issue still.

Thank you for the road map and verbose explanation of your design intent.