noubernou

A.C.R.E - Advanced Combat Radio Environment for Arma 3

I'd be glad to hear any further tips. ;-) Oh and NouberNou, keep school a priority and ignore us whiners whining for free stuff. ;-) ... My intention here is, similar to all programming projects, if there are less dependencies the easier the programming or scripting for ACRE. Another option, make sure the scripting or coding is open sourced or easily accessible for others to take on the project and use it as part of your resume.

Honestly I think I should be focusing on ACRE and trying to get some actual value out of the project haha. There is easily a million dollars worth of manhours put into this project (and thats at a conservative hourly rate). Best to make a return on investment!

Apparently ACRE is being used in universities as an example of "good" simulation projects and we have some commercial competitors who have copied a few ancillary things from us in their own projects.

Honestly I think I should be focusing on ACRE and trying to get some actual value out of the project haha. There is easily a million dollars worth of manhours put into this project (and thats at a conservative hourly rate). Best to make a return on investment!

Apparently ACRE is being used in universities as an example of "good" simulation projects and we have some commercial competitors who have copied a few ancillary things from us in their own projects.

If you can get the Current ACRE Version (if that is less work for you because of Real Life issues) to work with verifySignatures=2 (=correct Bisigning and Bikey'ing) that would help every other Server Admin..

Edited by Hammerballz

Any way to get the proper Sigs and Keys.... Someone else tried to provide them but they are not the Original mod maker and cannot distribute the fix... Can you as the mod maker please add the correct Signatures and bikeys... Thanks

And considering someone else was able to do it I imagine that the OG should take less time to Fix it since its their mod. IE: the bulk of the work is done we just need working Signatures and Bikeys....

Slow your roll there hombre. I haven't gotten around to the release. I am the only one working on ACRE now (Jaynus has pretty much left the Arma community) and I am in school now too and looking for steady work (ACRE doesn't pay anything, thinking about asking for donations, but we'll see).

The official release will be almost 100% exactly the same as what UO is using right now. The only possible change is a version number update and thats it. Functionally it will be exactly the same. If you want to pull from UO right now thats fine, it will be no different from the official release. I just haven't gotten around to packing everything up and making some decent instructions for installation, etc.

Nouber I know that my group would be more than willing to donate funds to ACRE to get a release as soon as possible. No ACRE is the only thing stopping us from playing Arma 3 in our regular events throughout the week. Have you considered a kickstarter project to help fund it?

Nouber I know that my group would be more than willing to donate funds to ACRE to get a release as soon as possible. No ACRE is the only thing stopping us from playing Arma 3 in our regular events throughout the week. Have you considered a kickstarter project to help fund it?

Not entirely sure the BIS EULA would allow any formal "fund raising" in terms of funding addon development, even for such "must have" projects such as ACRE, but I could be wrong.

Not entirely sure the BIS EULA would allow any formal "fund raising" in terms of funding addon development, even for such "must have" projects such as ACRE, but I could be wrong.

Well, if I decide to give my good friend Nou a gift for his pet dog's birthday, that's totally between the three of us :)

I don't think kickstarter is the right thing for something like this. BUT, accepting donations shouldn't be an issue at all I don't think.

Does anyone know if it is normal to not being able to join non acre servers if you have acre installed?

You have to make sure to start the Game without Mods if you want to play on Servers without mods.

On the issue of accepting public money or funds, probably best to first consult a lawyer -- unless you know for sure the EULA does allow it.

Just prior to the visit with the lawyer, make sure you have a copy of the game's licensing (ie. EULA or End Users License Agreement) and any other relevant materials. Usually most lawyers will be glad to accept an initial consultation for free or a minimal fee, especially if you've examined the documents yourself and just needed quick oversight.

Also, do not make the mistake of simply Emailing the company, as you might only get misinformation from a short term employee. If the company does allow making money from the modification, it will likely state so within the EULA or elsewhere quite blatantly. And no matter if it does allow, I'd still would suggest visiting a lawyer to make sure all loose ends are tied. ;-)

Although I'm biased towards closed source code (ie proprietary code) as it only hinders code development, an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure with these proprietary code legalities. Another item, if the EULA prevents end users (ie. coders or mod'ers) from profit or personal gain from their product without BIS's prior explicit approval or agreement, accepting private donations might be OK pending your State's bi-laws. In other words, posting a public notice for accepting donations might be illegal, while accepting private donations from friends might be alright. Also consider posting such notice even within anonymous forums such as these is likely considered a public notice. (You will also have to deal with taxes.)

Like I already suggested with such projects like these side projects, likely best to choose open source and use the experience as Resume material. There's lots of competition as well as criminals. Sometimes best just to go with the flow. From my experience, I don't see many, if any, game mods making a huge buck. And yet, using the code base for Resume material might grant you a larger dollar from a better job/career in the long run.

Running a business isn't as easy as it sounds. Even George Lucas (Star Wars) had many issues, which only hiring more employees made things possible.

Edited by rogerx

Does anyone know if it is normal to not being able to join non acre servers if you have acre installed?

Depends on the server settings but pretty normal since most servers are only going to allow you to run mods that they have enabled.

Shouldn´t be "funding/donating Mod Authors" be a seperate Topic?

I actually would like to know, apart from knowing that there are RL issues for him, if he is going to release his ACRE in the near Future and/or if we have to use our own ACRE signed Versions!?

Likely, but it's relevant as a maintainer or author or ACRE brought up the issue a few posts ago as a method of being able to afford continuing development of ACRE.

As such, it's likely very relevant ACRE unless somebody decides to greatly expand on the topic, and/or there's further generated interest.

The post was only really relevant for ACRE. But if somebody wants to duplicate the post and start their own more generalized thread titled "Funding/donating Mod Authors" or similar title, can feel free to! ;-)

Shouldn´t be "funding/donating Mod Authors" be a seperate Topic?

I actually would like to know, apart from knowing that there are RL issues for him, if he is going to release his ACRE in the near Future and/or if we have to use our own ACRE signed Versions!?

It will be released, but I am now considering waiting till the beta for the official release. Your own signed versions are fine. There is 99% chance that the version of ACRE out for A3 right now used by some groups is going to be functionally exactly the same.

In regards to where the slow down is development wise, that is all ACRE2, which is a much larger project. People don't remember that the majority of the codebase for the original ACRE was written in 3 months, and only improved upon since then to be more stable (with some random additional features). ACRE2 has been in co-development almost that whole time, taking a few different incarnations at the start, and now having reached and early alpha stage.

Does anyone experience duplicating radios over time?

We have the following problem: During a mission, if you have a longrange radio (aka non-343) your radio gets duplicated over time. We couldn't yet determine under what circumstances that happens.

This obviously is a problem when using 3 radios on purpose or using the left-/right-ear feature, since a new radio will be set to center on default.

No. Not fully. You can find it, but its not official.

When using ACRE do you need to upload to your server for multiplayer mission or is it totally clientside. As our clan uploaded the addons to our server and when we went into mission it came up no radio options, and another member has a warning stating that ACRE is not connected to teamspeak. Can anyone shed some light if possible. I have no problem with single player modules, but then takes away the purpose of using acre. And it work good when previewing mission in the editor, I can access the radio and clan member can hear me in teamspeak. So I know it works but not in multiplayer missions in arma 3

Does ACRE have custom voice channels? If we have a strong presence by way of ships in the future I can see a need for having multiple radio nets apart from radios used by boots on the ground.

When using ACRE do you need to upload to your server for multiplayer mission or is it totally clientside. As our clan uploaded the addons to our server and when we went into mission it came up no radio options, and another member has a warning stating that ACRE is not connected to teamspeak. Can anyone shed some light if possible. I have no problem with single player modules, but then takes away the purpose of using acre. And it work good when previewing mission in the editor, I can access the radio and clan member can hear me in teamspeak. So I know it works but not in multiplayer missions in arma 3

ACRE is client AND Server on Arma.

The teamspeak plugin is only client.

To really test if everything works you should create a mission with a ACRE BOX.

Moreover I noticed that 99% of the time, 32bits user can't use ACRE for arma 3 and the best TS version is 3.0.10

Does ACRE have custom voice channels? If we have a strong presence by way of ships in the future I can see a need for having multiple radio nets apart from radios used by boots on the ground.

I'm not sure I understand everything, but you get lot a radio with lot of channel so I don't think you need more.

But in the case you need it, some radio can get custom frequences (bugged for the moment)

I'm not sure I understand everything, but you get lot a radio with lot of channel so I don't think you need more.

But in the case you need it, some radio can get custom frequences (bugged for the moment)

In real life when you have a ship full of crew members you have a different radio frequency for surface warfare, air warfare, navigation, electronic warfare, etc... I know for the purposes of this game you might need that many channels/frequencies, but I was just wondering if you could create your own.

Hi everybody ;)

I'd like to know : is it me or my acre version doesn't work on the Dev build, since the Beta is there?

Everything was perfect before i put the DEV build yesterday!

Thanks a lot ;)

P.S : i have acre stuff (all radio and other), but i can't talk with "caps lock" and i can't set my radio with shift + ctrl + x, for exemple!!

And my TS writes "arma 2 connected : No" ;)

Thanks again ;)

Edited by chal00

Hi everybody ;)

I'd like to know : is it me or my acre version doesn't work on the Dev build, since the Beta is there?

Everything was perfect before i put the DEV build yesterday!

Thanks a lot ;)

P.S : i have acre stuff (all radio and other), but i can't talk with "caps lock" and i can't set my radio with shift + ctrl + x, for exemple!!

And my TS writes "arma 2 connected : No" ;)

Thanks again ;)

CBA is actually broken for public usage