noubernou

A.C.R.E - Advanced Combat Radio Environment for Arma 3

Where can we download ACRE from ?

Go to page 10 of this thread and read on :) Links and explanations are there.

Are there any plans to add in duplex (repeater) functionality to current handsets, or to add in new handsets with it?

-Simon

Ok but is useless..

No it is not. AFAIK there are a couple of changes made to UO_CBA3 (don't ask me what they changed).

So no it is not useless.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Steam workshop works just as well as SU does. They just aren't using SW at the moment.

p.s. any news on when ACRE will be released to the public?

Wrong. SU or PwS are able to place your plugins in the right place in your TS folder.

SW is not able to do that as far as I am aware.

Although it looks like my following mentioned bug or incorrect simulation within ARMA 3 could be possibly fixed, based on looking at features sporadically mentioned by the multiple ARMA ACRE downloads pages, does the ACRE modification properly address using a Direct Channel, or a channel avoiding the local repeaters and intended for local area only transmissions?

I have filed a bug addressing this exact misnaming of the Direct Channel for ordinary Voice Communications within ARMA 3, and it was quickly closed.

See Bug #7090, "Clarification of VON Direct Channel Usage!"

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=0007090

For those of you still confused, I have included a reference to "Direct Channel" definition within the bug report. Also, likely chatting with your local Amateur Radio club members will also help, as this feature is a preferred method of chatting on the radio, to reduce radio traffic.

I followed-up via a direct EMail to Bohemian Interactive due to the quick bug closure, and a reply was issued likely stating their intentions as they're aware of the shortcoming or errors/misconceptions, but is of currently minimal concern.

Personally, I think the "Direct Channel" currently implemented within ARMA was intended to function this way, but was likely hacked to do normal voice communications instead, which has little use unless everybody is obviously nearby one another versus a real world Direct Channel. A Direct Channel would significantly reduce needless chatter on the global channels. The ACRE module seemingly simulates frequencies, but do all frequencies simulate using a repeater instead of not using a repeater -- simulating using only the radio's transmitting power for local radio chatter?

As far as my own opinion of this (modification) module, think it's great but it has a significant flaw, it depends on 3rd party code. As such, corporations usually find it a significant hurdle within real world legalities and stability. (ie. Legalities -> Licensing conflicts, Stability -> More binary code to depend on.) For those of you that do not understand this, the chances of the modification being officially supported based on statistics is close to none. However, there have been exceptions, especially if the 3rd party code were open source, significantly increasing the reliability factors and reducing licensing conflicts.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Subscribe to thread. (Should be default after sending a reply!)

I don't believe there was any consideration on real radios when they developed VON for Arma.

As I rethink and scan through the limited published data of this ACRE module, all radios within this are limited by transmitting range and do not transmit globally or through a simulated repeater?

In other words, the radios simulated within the ACRE module are all limited by range, and do not transmit through a land based or global repeater?

As such, this would address the missing feature of direct communications within ARMA?

ACRE simulates actual radio transmissions, so they are limited by range and terrain based on the specs of the radios.

ACRE also has "direct speaking" which simulates normal human voice communications, as if you were talking on the street.

Great. Thanks for the much needed clarification.

(Personally, could care less of somebody whispering in my ear, unless it's a girl. ;-)

Based on this, I'll reinstall Team Speak, get some experience with this modification module.

From what I've heard, the reason you rely on Team Speak, is because ARMA does not provide the hooks (or functions) for hooking into the ACRE module/modification? Or, is ACRE integrally integrated with Team Speak, requiring Team Speak even if hooks through ARMA were available?

teamspeak still has some important advantages, you can control other peoples personal volume, and its a base to not just communicate ingame, cause can have smalltalk channels while downloading maps and mods

There is no real way to manipulate the in-game communication system via modding/scripting. That's the main reason teamspeak is needed. As for teamspeak being much better from the social aspect (talk before game, after game, or when ACRE is simply not working for someone because he isn't in-game or has technical issues), that's just a side benefit IMO, as it could be achieved with teamspeak even if ACRE could live without relying on teamspeak.

Thanks galzohar. Just what I needed to know. Probably should be a FAQ concerning, "There is no real way to manipulate the in-game communication system via modding/scripting. That's the main reason teamspeak is needed." (Push a web page in one spot pushing this message will get the noise going in the correct direction. ;-)

Another possible FAQ; instead of mitigating people talking at the same time, using the in game voice over network with TeamSpeak creates way too much cross talk instigating further confusion when both are used at the same time.

Secondly, you should have a "simple mode", similar to the simplicity current in game voice over network chat console for most users. (ie. two keys to change channel and a key for push to talk. ;-)

Since I'm having trouble experiencing first hand experience with ARMA 3 and ACRE module, I'm speaking out my butt as far as suggestions here, for promoting ACRE. :-/

I'll follow-up my communication with BIS with your reason why you depend on TeamSpeak. (ie. Features are more publicly accepted when there's few dependencies.)

Currently, seems the ARMA 3 developers are not too concerned about people talking all at once and relying almost explicitly on Group Channels instead of a Local/Direct Channel (ie. not Voice), and just want to push the issue to ACRE. Servers acquiring more than ten or twenty players, and communications is chaos. Only effective channels minimizing chaos are Side and Channel, unless one adheres to groups - which is quite humorous within civilian world. ;-)

Cheers.

I would like to suggest something, if it would be possible to make the surrounding sounds of the player, to play on the radio. Like if i'm talking on a radio while getting shot, other would be able to hear, but not too loud so it wouldn't be annoying.

Don't know if it would be a good feature for real, maybe the surrounding sounds would be too annoying or it would be too much trouble for a little effect, but it would be nice to try.

I noticed that UO locked their repository, any news on a release date?? Many of my clan members have this installed but for some reason it is telling them ACRE is not connected to TS. even though everything has been installed correctly.

There is no real way to manipulate the in-game communication system via modding/scripting.

Actually there are new commands in Arma3 for creating and assigning players to radio channels. I've been playing around with it a little. I am not suggesting that it would be a replacement for TS or ACRE but it might allow for some folks to do what they would like without using TS and/or ACRE.

It seems to be just an "on/off" option. Nothing too useful for any kind of radio simulation.

Hey guys, as i was pointed here i try to put up my question again.

Is it somehow possible to gibe a unit in the editor 2 radios?

Thats what i tried:

this addItem "ACRE_PRC148";

this addItemCargo ["ACRE_PRC343",1];

But then you are only left with one 148 in the radio slot.

The other way - if i go to a radio crate an add a 148 to my inventory, i get a 343 in the radio slot and a 148 in my vest. I can cylce through both radios and communicate with them. But i think it would be odd if i place a radio crate in a mission... looks weird in an infiltration ;)

so is there already the possibility to add a second radio to a unit?

thanks in advance

wayan

Hey guys, as i was pointed here i try to put up my question again.

Is it somehow possible to gibe a unit in the editor 2 radios?

Thats what i tried:

this addItem "ACRE_PRC148";

this addItemCargo ["ACRE_PRC343",1];

But then you are only left with one 148 in the radio slot.

The other way - if i go to a radio crate an add a 148 to my inventory, i get a 343 in the radio slot and a 148 in my vest. I can cylce through both radios and communicate with them. But i think it would be odd if i place a radio crate in a mission... looks weird in an infiltration ;)

so is there already the possibility to add a second radio to a unit?

thanks in advance

wayan

You need to add the PRC343 to the object backpack of the player (which is a cargo I believe), not to the player directly. Something like this might work, can't test it just now?

myBackpack = unitBackpack player

player addItem "ACRE_PRC148";

myBackpack addItemCargo ["ACRE_PRC343",1];

Finally figured it out >_<

0=this spawn{ waitUntil{time>0}; _this addItem "ACRE_PRC148"; }

Unit that has it in init will have 343 in radio slot, and 148 in inventory.

Thank god, ACRE and ACE not being in the ArmA 3 Alpha as of now is the main reason my group has chosen not to switch over.

Finally figured it out >_<

0=this spawn{ waitUntil{time>0}; _this addItem "ACRE_PRC148"; }

Unit that has it in init will have 343 in radio slot, and 148 in inventory.

aeroson, is this working without adding a backpack?

I have been searching a lot.

Is there any guide/tutorial how to operate each radio (for example the prc-119 switches next to pwr and channel)?

It seems all "old" wikis are down and even though i have a dev heavon account, it keeps telling me "You are not authorized to access this page."

As its not an official public release I doubt there will be any guides out yet. (I assume) The version you have is the test-version that United Operations have been testing for some time now - thats probably the reason they have locked their repository as they were tired of the general public leeching their bandwidth downloading their private test material. I imagine when the release is made public more documentation will become available.

Afaik it is basically the A2 version, so i'd be satisfied with a detailed a2 acre guide.

I have been searching a lot.

Is there any guide/tutorial how to operate each radio (for example the prc-119 switches next to pwr and channel)?

It seems all "old" wikis are down and even though i have a dev heavon account, it keeps telling me "You are not authorized to access this page."

search for YouTube videos. There are at least a few that go through every radio and most if not all functions. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the buttons depending on the radio don't really do anything or are not implemented yet.

Just wondering, are there any event handlers associated with ACRE? I am considering doing something but I need a way to know when someone starts/stop using the radio.

(Not sure which thread I should have put this in, but the A3 forum opened first)