Sign in to follow this  
CiberX15

Taking the scroll menu to the chopping block

Because insulting somebody is the best way to get your point across.

This solution would not work, because the only way to get out of the menu is to release spacebar and select something, sometimes I open the action menu and I can exit it with right click, without choosing anything. Have the Hold spacebar solution would not provide such a thing, because you would have to actually highlight something and release spacebar to close the menu.

Plus I'm not against the idea if they want to add it along side the scroll menu so people can choose if they want to old space bar or just press it.

But I guess if you want to be a complete jerk and utterly forget everything about what it's like to show someone respect then that works too.

Stick to Call of Duty, you do can everything you want by simply pressing E, and have zero freedom over your controls and actions.

There is no need to insult someone who participated from the beginning but managed to miss key points throughout. Imagination would more aptly be reading skills. Furthermore, I don't agree with everything Ciber says and don't stand to defend only nor wholly what he says. The only redeeming quality you've shown is managing 5 pages before mentioning Call of Duty rather than the expected 1.

There is no need to insult someone who participated from the beginning but managed to miss key points throughout. Imagination would more aptly be reading skills. Furthermore, I don't agree with everything Ciber says and don't stand to defend only nor wholly what he says. The only redeeming quality you've shown is managing 5 pages before mentioning Call of Duty rather than the expected 1.

Then why did you decide to toss out an insult?

It was good while it lasted. It takes a special type of complete and utter lack of imagination to not see how this could work.

I've even said that you guys are more than welcome to have this "solution" if they made it along side what we already have so people can choose. So I assume you're just ignoring what I'm saying, even the part where I tell you why this "solution" wouldn't even work in the first place.

So I think you're the one missing key points. At the least missing points that everyone else makes and only focusing on your own or Cibers, while dishing out insults which doesn't bring much to a discussion board.

Considering multiple points have been made saying why this hold spacebar function would not work, and no comment about it then I assume you've agreed that holding spacebar would be more flawed than the current scroll menu which is good because thankfully we won't see it changed anyways.

Thankfully we've finally agreed on something

Edited by Husker

Stick to Call of Duty

OH NOES! not Call of Duty! Tis the worst slur that can be bestowed upon a member of this forum! Our honor, our very legacy is ruined by your suggestion that we play a different first person shooter. X )

I leave for a bit to watch an episode of the X-Files, I come back to see where this thread has gone... dear god what has happened haha.

I see both arguments as somewhat "valid" but I still lean heavily towards it would not work, it would hinder the smooth transitional gameplay more than it would help. I've stated my reasons for that opinion within the first couple pages of this thread no need to reiterate.

My solution for you.

Set up a macro of all the actions you would want to use. Then bind that macro to your space bar. Pressing the space bar would quickly cycle through open door, close door, get in, eject, climb up ladder, climb down ladder, etc. it would cycle through it fast enough that your double actions wont get picked up, such as a door opening then closing instantly (the game has a delay between that) same thing with getting in a vehicle then getting out of it.

That's my best offer for you. The context sensitive menu is not going anywhere because it is a necessity for the game, there is no way of changing that it just does too much. Any other method will cause it's own equal or worse problems than trying to fumble through a scrolling menu.

You could head over to the addons section and put up a request for a radial menu to see how poorly it would perform or the hold space menu which ever you prefer. You could even try making it yourself. If you get one working and it works great, I will eat my own words and use it. But until then I will stand by my original theory that the current scroll menu is a needed part of the core ArmA game.

I used to play PR all the time before it came to Arma. Battlefield 2 had a great radial menu. It still hindered gameplay though. While that menu is up, you can NOT look or move around you are stuck moving forward or backwards and that's it.

That is my biggest gripe about those types of menus, while they are open you are entirely vulnerable. A scrolling menu allows full movement without cluttering your screen with a bulky UI. With the scrolling menu currently used you can not only move, but you can engage the enemy with it still open.

We have had this discussion many times with new members before so here are some reasons why mouse wheel menu has to stay and stays.

Radial menus are clunky. They cover a huge chunk of the screen preventing you from seeing things (and in ArmA you need all the view you can get at all times), they demand an input either from WASD or movement of mouse. And they often involve menu digging.

What that means is not only you will have your view obscured you will have to STOP to do an action. This WILL get you killed.

Like a scenario where you plant a satchel and then get out from the area under enemy fire - with radial menu that's an insta death. With mousewheel you touch off bombs on the run.

Calling air support with radial menu? Must stop. MW menu? You can keep doing whatever you want.

You observe enemies but must use some command from the menu? You use radial menu and blam those enemies are no longer there because you didn't see them going away. MW menu? You still see everything.

Mousewheel menu retains the full freedom of movement, doesn't clutter the screen and is simple to use (just up and down)

Forget about other games, and learn to use it.

CiberX15 +1 to contextual radial menu with Middle Mouse button depress activation. Doors, ladders, "Get in as driver", "Get in as gunner" etc can be linked to their current default action implementation on mouse/crosshair-over.

There was a 50-something page thread 5 months ago on this very same problem.*

*That thread yielded current grenade mechanics with its dedicated key, tho I'm not sure about that. :D

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I'm trying to change my mouse wheel purely to stance adjustments but haven't quite figured it out yet :)

I'm trying to change my mouse wheel purely to stance adjustments but haven't quite figured it out yet :)

The functions of CTRL+W & S are not rebindable atm. :( Poke Smookie for this idea.

Boo! That would explain it :) I'm a leftie, I don't use any of the left side of the keyboard for gaming, left hand on mouse and right hand on arrow keys plus what's around.

Brace yourselves, because what I am about to say is blasphemy. The scroll menu, it must die. It was bad in Arma 2, it is worse that it has survived into Arma 3. Hitting space to interact is rather unintuitive as it is, but having to scroll though a long list of options while under fire is downright clumsy.

The interaction menu is incredibly clunky and clumsy. When interacting with a car for example, I should be able to simply hit interact to get in and interact to get out. Quick, efficient, intuitive. I don’t have to spend a second to think about it. This becomes blatantly obvious when you are under fire and need to jump out of the vehicle and you have to sit there carefully scrolling though the passenger seat, the gunner seat, the turn off vehicle option, the get out button, till you finally reach the eject button and then have to hit interact again to confirm you purchase. Now the reason you wanted to eject in the first place was because you saw a soldier with an RPG standing in the middle of the road aiming at you. He only needs to left click.

What do I suggest? A context sensitive radial menu triggered by the interact key (usually mapped to spacebar). Tapping the spacebar would cause you to take the default action, getting in and out of a car, looting a body, open door. Holding the spacebar would bring up a radial menu, moving the mouse around you could quickly select up to eight additional options. Releasing the spacebar would then activate the command. This would allow players to quickly perform actions without confusion or clumsy mistakes, while still allowing for the plethora of additional commands that makes this game great. Again, this is just one possible solution, but I feel Arma needs to move past the scroll menu.

I know that I and some others have made this suggestion before - to have an optional radial menu style UI to replace/augment the scroll wheel method. Hasn't happened yet :)

12PointGUI.jpg

Edited by DMarkwick

Scroll list & F-cycle are, frankly, crap. Good thing that there's 1 less item for me to worry about on the F-key - dedicated grenades FTW.

Here's the megathread,

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...rface+controls

One proposal was as such,

Numbey key 1 - Primary weapon;

Key 2 - Sidearm/Handgun;

Key 3 - Under barrel Grenade Launcher;

Key 4 - Grenades (Frag/Smoke (red)/Smoke (green)/Smoke (etc) - tap repeatedly to cycle between types)

Key 5 - AT/RPGs;

Key 6 - AP Mines & AT mines (press 6 again to cycle between types)

Key 7 - Satchels (7 to cycle types)

Dedicated number keys for all weaponry & equipment -- as it stands, number key row isn't used (yet again) in A3A atm. Scroll list needs to be unloaded of these actions, the rest can become context-sensitive with a single action button = Point at door, press X = door opens with no danger of accidentally placing the satchel, or switching to your AT, or doing whatever there is in the scroll menu at that time.

F key can then become the fire selector for primary weapon - Safety/Single/Burst/Auto - that's it.

P.S.: But then they'd have to rework the AI command mechanics - Oh God the cries. :O

P.S. 2: Basic infantryman comes before the glorious AI commander = Everyone has to use the above actions/items/weaponry, not everyone takes up AI command in the game.

About editing if you use the addaction command where you'll have to make self made action to work, scroll action menu is a fundamental thing in ArmA just try to become friendly with it and you'll never play again without it, as a new member you don't know probably all the functionalities in ArmA (scripting, editing exc.) and for this reason scroll down menu is fundamental, thanks to it you can add yourself things that aren't present ingame, thing that your mind can imagine and the arma engine and how it is done can give you the possibility to add to the game (for sure editing and scripting knowledge required), but scroll menu is fundamental in ArmA core

Ok so there are keys that will do that, yes, but it is incredibly un-intuitive. Think about it. You hit space bar to get in the vehicle and then V to get out? There is no connection between those two options.

Bind "Get out" to space as well and now u can enter and exit the vehicle with 1 key.

Difficult topic indeed. Though +1 for a re-thinking of OPFs outdated interface navigation.

OFP.

atleast spell it proper.

OFP.

atleast spell it proper.

At least correct my spelling in proper grammar. Thanks for your input.

OFP.

atleast spell it proper.

Actually I have used OPF for the past 12 years and will continue to do so! OPF sounds much stronger to me :)

Wait, don't try to change the scroll menu etc for people who actually play Multiplayer. I sure as hell don't want radial menu's when I'm in the middle of a CO OP and to be honest, I like scrolling. Why would I want to hit 2 for Sidearm, 7 for Satchels? How typical FPS of you, I actually want to have some sort of feeling that I have to take the satchel out of my ruck and place it down.

In my opinion, it's fine the way it is. I unbinded my spacebar and I just use the tilde key if I ever need to do something like commanding troops, which is very rare unless I'm in the editor.

Wait, don't try to change the scroll menu etc for people who actually play Multiplayer. I sure as hell don't want radial menu's when I'm in the middle of a CO OP and to be honest, I like scrolling. Why would I want to hit 2 for Sidearm, 7 for Satchels? How typical FPS of you, I actually want to have some sort of feeling that I have to take the satchel out of my ruck and place it down.

In my opinion, it's fine the way it is. I unbinded my spacebar and I just use the tilde key if I ever need to do something like commanding troops, which is very rare unless I'm in the editor.

Because even one mistake that has happened because of the UI is FAAAAAR too much.

*Middle Mouse Button Click* to show menu

Click again to hide it.

A cursor shows up, select what you want.

http://www.alienoutput.com/arma3/img/ScrollWheelDEAD.jpg (143 kB)

Good implementation -- is it a single key press activation like in Crysis 1 (Depress MMB, cursor over action, release MMB), or does MMB toggle the menu on & off?

The former allows for non-stop movement,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkBtVELu7c

Maximum armor/strength/stealth - that's being activated via a radial menu.