NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

To be honest I realized turning terrain and texture to Ultra makes the terrain look good at certain angles. Then I realized the Terrain has the same issue as most texture objects anyway. What I mean is, if you look at a texture on a wall straight on, for example, it's clear. When you walk to the side and look at it from a steep angle, it becomes blurry. This also happens to the Terrain at distances, making it look not as good as it actually is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

The new hope is the expansion now. :(

yes, i do hope BIS sorts the texture at distances thing out. especially if theyre inevsting time in a new terrain. Core improvemtns would make it doubly impressive.

yes, i do hope BIS sorts the texture at distances thing out. especially if theyre inevsting time in a new terrain. Core improvemtns would make it doubly impressive.

My biggest woe is if they work around ie a drab terrain that you wont even noticed textures at distance . Yay 60fps, ugh is this mars? Barren wasteland.

Dear Mr Hladik,

please help me to unterstand your posting. You answer a very old statement of a banned person the problem is the manpower it needs to find a solution to the midrange-problem. I linked badbenson´s solution (he is 1 man :p). In my opinion its significant better than the default midrange-texture. Only a 500kb addon...

Sorry for my bad english and the little bit polemic manner..

Dear Mr Hladik,

please help me to unterstand your posting. You answer a very old statement of a banned person the problem is the manpower it needs to find a solution to the midrange-problem. I linked badbenson´s solution (he is 1 man :p). In my opinion its significant better than the default midrange-texture. Only a 500kb addon...

Sorry for my bad english and the little bit polemic manner..

Dr. Hadlik's post was about ponds though, not the midrange textures

BIS just doesn't have them.

So he answered to an outdated plus offtopic question of a banned person? Too much for me..:p

Developers are people too.He might made a mistake and linked to ponds issue instead of mid range textures problem.

Maybe the same answer applies to both issues.

yea hard to say without his input.

So I guess we are to assume that the response about the ponds is the same as the response to mid-range textures? "Not impossible to do, just lacking the manpower to do it adequately."

Standard procedure when a BI employee is vague is to fill in the unknown with wild conclusions. So right now I'm sure they will fix the ponds before the textures. Probably will come in next update.

Developers are people too.He might made a mistake and linked to ponds issue instead of mid range textures problem.

I was replaying to your discussion about ponds.

#809 - Sgtseven

>>> ok, now what is really disappointed: ponds are not supported in arma 3.

>>> it would be good if any dev can talk about ponds and arma 3. why isnt it supported ? will it be supported in the future ?

>>> i dont see it as a step forward comparing it to arma 2 where ponds are supported.

#810 - MikeTim

>> Sgtseven it's a well known issue, a ticket on tracker is present but BI has done nothing about it.

#811 - Sgtseven

> and this is the problem. BI knows about it, yet they did not told us why it isnt supported and if it will be supported in the future.

This is not a fix to anything but a nice immersion plus and more eye pleasing thing.

Could you implement the grass tech from DayZ to Arma? It makes the grass look much more rich when it has variations of greens and not just the satmap green or where ever it takes the color.

Examples:

Before

After

I think that was alredy introduced, at least you have the possability to achive exact such effect.

This is not a fix to anything but a nice immersion plus and more eye pleasing thing.

Could you implement the grass tech from DayZ to Arma? It makes the grass look much more rich when it has variations of greens and not just the satmap green or where ever it takes the color.

Examples:

Before

After

What the grass needs is specularity. The grass should shine when hit by the sun. Otherwise it looks flat and weird.

This is already the case for other vegetation (trees, etc).