NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

New terrain does not imply good quality mid-distance terrain textures, unfortunately.

Too bad that Arma 3 looks so great up close and from far away, and really looks like a 10 year old game through a scope. The reception of this topic (and Bad Bensons) by BI has been appalling

It's literally the only confirmed thing (besides an ETA and not being standalone) about the Expansion, although the hint has been that they're trying to do something unlike previous official terrains, hence a bunch of speculation about a different environment (see the Next DLC and Expansion Speculation thread).

And after, the engine is old ...

I waiting the other product of BI Company in Arma as : https://bisimulations.com/vbs3/technology

Or ::::::::::::: :yay: that ->

incredible.

More movies here : https://www.youtube.com/user/bisimmedia/videos

No problem with the water surface even with the VBS 2. With the VBS 3, there is a new render for the water.

I like all the video, especially the bridge, the nature, the ... :p but i'm not Bill Gates and i can't buy everything.

For the hundredth time, BIS and BISim are no longer the same company...

But sometimes they seem to share their technology. We can just hope that it will happen again...

What he said ^

Not same company. Anyhow, the RV4 Engine is capable of most of the things you can think of adding, but the matter of time, constraints, and limitations are the most important thing to think of when changing up things so drastically in a game's engine. Arma 3 is far into release, so possibilities are somewhat limited. Unless they staged some kind of special testing thing in DEV Branch in order to thoroughly test out advances before fully optimizing it, and releasing to full, but even then... Not very likely.

... VBS3 is derived from ArmA 1. *cough* Like, by a lot. I've also heard that supposedly those terrain videos were actually showcases and not actually representative of what the actual user experience is like...

Yep, I also read that VBS it still looks like Arma 1, and that the nice graphics video was just a demonstration of what is possible. And it only looks good at close range, when the video shows distance it looks like OPF or Arma 1 - because midrange terrain is also not fixed at BISim

For the hundredth time, BIS and BISim are no longer the same company...

:yay: YOU WON !

More seriously, we have so huge possibilities in all the cases, but actually all the engines even the Cry Engine have limits for our dreams and in all the cases we don't have enough power from the graphic cards.

For Arma 3, i hope that the work of NordK on the terrain could get out a day.

ok, now what is really disappointed: ponds are not supported in arma 3.

it would be good if any dev can talk about ponds and arma 3. why isnt it supported ? will it be supported in the future ?

i dont see it as a step forward comparing it to arma 2 where ponds are supported.

Sgtseven it's a well known issue, a ticket on tracker is present but BI has done nothing about it.

Sgtseven it's a well known issue, a ticket on tracker is present but BI has done nothing about it.

and this is the problem. BI knows about it, yet they did not told us why it isnt supported and if it will be supported in the future.

Yes I know.

Trust me I hate this issue as well.

Not sure how to get them to address it, idk man it sux

After the "axed features" thread debacle, BI (as opposed to individual devs) have spent a year actively shying away from publicly addressing complaints in favor of sticking to canned press releases.

My biggest issue with terrain is the terrain settings option. When you set it low the objects flow in the air. The objectViewDistance maximum value should change based on the terrain settings. Lower settings lower objectViewDistance.

After the "axed features" thread debacle, BI (as opposed to individual devs) have spent a year actively shying away from publicly addressing complaints in favor of sticking to canned press releases.

Got a link to that thread bud ?

Started over a year ago when the climate (and public information) surrounding the game was wildly different than it is now, but here you go.

Been well over a year and 1000 upvotes on the tracker. Seems a lot of effort and passion went into the tread and tracker to highlight how much better the game could look and how badly people wanted it.

Has there been a peep from bis regarding this tread or the tracker?

My biggest issue with terrain is the terrain settings option. When you set it low the objects flow in the air. The objectViewDistance maximum value should change based on the terrain settings. Lower settings lower objectViewDistance.

Yeah the setting really needs to change some way. I'd like to keep it on ultra so objects don't float in the air but then comes the parallax effect which is bloody awful and I can't play some community terrains with high terrain detail because it looks horrible. Also it would be very nice to have grass distance option.

I haven't started A3 in ages and can't atm cos I have no external gpus. So what is the status with mid-range textures nowadays?

It's sad to see almost 2 years and over 1100 votes later. Last hope is the marksmen DLC.

The new hope is the expansion now. :(

To be honest I realized turning terrain and texture to Ultra makes the terrain look good at certain angles. Then I realized the Terrain has the same issue as most texture objects anyway. What I mean is, if you look at a texture on a wall straight on, for example, it's clear. When you walk to the side and look at it from a steep angle, it becomes blurry. This also happens to the Terrain at distances, making it look not as good as it actually is.