NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

They also need to fix the sea-ish sounds in the marshes. ;P

They also need to fix the sea-ish sounds in the marshes. ;P

Correction, they need to add the capabilities of making ponds again, in a more simple way than Arma 2. This way they wouldn't have to lower the terrain to sea level, which in tern, gives it a "Sea-ish" sound. Creating the ability to make ponds and lakes again would mean more possibilities in Terrain features, and adding more natural sounds to those features to have a practical and believable outcome, and good immersion. They just need to make the right steps and in the end it will only benefit them. I'd say that the whole marsh thing is a terrible work around for how it should have been done, and now they will probably have to fix that so they can improve not only their own maps in the future, but mod makers can also make great maps again with these land features.

At least if we had proper lakes (or puddles even !) then we would have decent ports for Arma2 maps without the glaring BLACK POND issue!

At least if we had proper lakes (or puddles even !) then we would have decent ports for Arma2 maps without the glaring BLACK POND issue!

Precisely, and not just that, but this is the only game engine, which is supposed to be an upgrade, that I haven't seen a working pond/lake on. It's kind of absurd, and if I were a mod maker, id be upset knowing I can't create these kinds of land features on a map. That alone restricts Oh So Many possibilities for a GREAT map.

Would be nice to see the ground look wet when it rains too.

This, I believe is still in Arma 2, to a certain extent. If you pay attention to it, it's very noticeable.

This, I believe is still in Arma 2, to a certain extent. If you pay attention to it, it's very noticeable.

sorry but I've never noticed a wet ground or other in arma 2 , and even less in arma 3 !

sorry but I've never noticed a wet ground or other in arma 2 , and even less in arma 3 !

If I remember correctly there is something like a 'splash' effect when a raindrop hits the ground. The surface does not really get wet, but there is at least an animated effect.

If I remember correctly there is something like a 'splash' effect when a raindrop hits the ground. The surface does not really get wet, but there is at least an animated effect.

That is just a particle effect, completely separate from the terrain.

Something like this would be nice though ;) http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137796

I think (WIP) this is how Arma 3 terrain should be...

This thread is ,IMO ,totally useless. What has been achieved by discussing terrain? Any improvements from BIS? The only thing we keep read about here is wishes, how Arma should have looked like etc.

But hey just keep discussing it's your time and the only thing that matters!

Actually have to agree that we haven't seen any improvements as to the things that Nordkindchen or Badbenson proposed. Unless devs are making new terrains (we can but hope) it would be nice for a comment on the suggested improvements.

Actually, it's not the Spintires terrain that impresses me: it's the physics! Isn't PhysX supposed to be superior (if implemented well) to Havok?

Edited by NoPOW

I think (WIP) this is how Arma 3 terrain should be...

As much as I'd love it in the face, I imagine that implimenting this would be difficult. Then again, even if the tracks in the mud dissapeared after a minute or so, the phsyics of vehicle movement and terrain response in Spintires are exactly what I'd want in Arma if we could.

This thread is ,IMO ,totally useless. What has been achieved by discussing terrain? Any improvements from BIS? The only thing we keep read about here is wishes, how Arma should have looked like etc.

But hey just keep discussing it's your time and the only thing that matters!

Unfortunately true. Nord had an amazing proof of concept but it doesn't look like BIS has taken it on as a feature, which is a real shame as the distant terrain pretty much ruins a lot of the graphical enhancements by making every scene have a horrible blurry backdrop.

Unless devs are making new terrains (we can but hope)

I'm pretty sure I read on a SitRep (or OpRep?) that they're working on a new terrain.

Useless? Discussion is never useless, mind you.

I agree the outcome isn't what it could (should) have been, but still, devs have posted in this thread and are obviously interested/share the concerns about the midrange textures, so no, not useless at all.

In my opinion BIS should consider that the supporters of Arma series were always seeking for the absolut realism and consider Arma as a military simulation. The others are happy with BF, COD etc. Of course Arma is addressed to civilian market. The VBS series is the hardcore simulation. Ground situation is a major factor that affects every desicion a military leader has to take. Imagine a vehicle convoy remaining stuck in the mud, or even better tanks. I am in love with the terrain of the Spintires game. Simply amazing. I assume that BIS will offer this in Arma IV and VBS 4.

You guys are still discussing terrain eye candy, but what about that shader technique that would better mask units in a distance even without the grass being rendered. That is something that needs to be done.

You guys are still discussing terrain eye candy, but what about that shader technique that would better mask units in a distance even without the grass being rendered. That is something that needs to be done.

Relax guy, its not like either are priority on the bis list right now so don't sweat it.

Both are valid desires. the terrain problem is a big drag on all the effort that went into making arma look amazing. It's like my mam showering me with all these good looks only for me to go ruin it by sitting some ugly chick on my face... Sorry mam but I'm easy and she had low self esteem...

On a serious note.

Imo the shader is more so important. As it is not just a visual fix ,it directly affects gameplay.

I think I actually saw that shader effect (the one where part of the soldier was transparent) in dev branch or something. I may be wrong, but I remember seeing something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

I think I actually saw that shader effect (the one where part of the soldier was transparent) in dev branch or something. I may be wrong, but I remember seeing something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

No, it was only a suggestion on the forums.

No, it was only a suggestion on the forums.

Ah. Weird. Does look neat though.

I'm pretty sure I read on a SitRep (or OpRep?) that they're working on a new terrain.
It's literally the only confirmed thing (besides an ETA and not being standalone) about the Expansion, although the hint has been that they're trying to do something unlike previous official terrains, hence a bunch of speculation about a different environment (see the Next DLC and Expansion Speculation thread).

Yep, I stumbled on the NextDLC thread; interesting speculations. ^^