NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

You are right seany, that you can make it better, but its just a bit. I tried Ultra-FXAA, but the effect is not significantly noticeable, same goes for everything else, btw some things are enomously hardware-hungry and it isnt about me but PVP and peoples different systems.

The effect of low angles is just very big.

On Altis You get many more "really" flat areas, then stratis, which is hilly like Planetside 2, where it isnt that recognizable (and you can respawn quickly and can compensate with cloak, at least as infiltrator).

Overall, I tried Nordkindchens test-package and combined it with Bensons Sharp textures and on stratis there is a huge difference.

Its just that the difference is relativly small, if you would compare it with reality or the case, if the detail would be the same to infinity, but (!) the problem here is, that everything that makes the distant environment pretty makes it sharp and clean and everything that isnt flat (there is just 2. no clutter and 2. no microterrain), so rocks tress and units stick out, cause there is a silouette on a flat texture (more or less detailed, so original/benson or nordkindchens texture).

I would have nothing against a distortion-layer, that pixelaltes the environment a little and would simulate clutter and grass, which would be, like i mentioned, just unidentifiable pixels anyway, but it would look ugly.

The other solution could be, to blur or make soldiers more transparent, so they would fit in the "flatness".

Both of that should be possible, without to muc effort, in the near future.

In combination with Nordkindchens solution the game would be pretty and you could have realistic options for concealment and could remove the horrible grasslayer, that is total unlogical, if you look from a little bit more above point.

Ok, no, you cant use the (BIG! dont argue!) advantage of shadows over distances higher then 200m, "if" "everyone would use the highest shadow-settings if its about PVP, but maybe they could reach the shadow-distance from VBS2, or use shaders (btw the problem would be easy fixalbe if there wouldnt be a day night cycle...).

Anyway: I just have expecations, that only are important for me and the few ones that care as much about that (i got many ideas from other people). I dont intend to missionate other people.

But overall it should be possible, or could have been possible if the ressources would been used to solve all this.

And at the moment I just constantly miss concealment for me (and I often cant see shit at the same time cause the freakin grass renders nera me) AND my enemys and the immersion cant build up. I dont bitch in arcadesgames with fast respawntimes and low detail at higher ranges, but Arma is allready time consuming and its just horrible to thin to be see so easily/see others so easily in this giant (beautiful) island of BI.

So the realism of environment is most important and elemental for me, THEN all the small or bigger things others critize the game for. So long: Fuck it Chief, I dont go into war as long as im so easy to spot.

Its a riddle for me that they dont care about that with the third or fourth incirnation of the franchise, cause it could be possible with low impact on hardware, while everything else is great.

And fans sugarcoat that and talk big about "simulation" or "realism" or "cod-kiddys". No, there is no concealmant granted, or simulated.

I think its a valid point to critize. Elsewise I would play the game I paid for and be happy.

BTW: Benson and Nordkindchen still rock!

Edited by wiresnsnakes

Heres another comparisson shot.

And an update on the Altis situation. As Vanzant tested out even on Altis this kind of resolution is possible without a noticeable frameratedrop.

That means I will most likely do sth like this for Altis too.

On the other hand Altis is such a huge environment that it would take month to recreate. Therefore I would ask you guys for areas of interest which I could work on. This way more populated environments could be improved first and set into usage.

Greetings

wtf oO. BIS textures, look like 1xpix vs 1.mio pix res texture from you. Damn, i can't wait the day, you retexture the island for us!

And an update on the Altis situation. As Vanzant tested out even on Altis this kind of resolution is possible without a noticeable frameratedrop.

On the other hand Altis is such a huge environment that it would take month to recreate. Therefore I would ask you guys for areas of interest which I could work on. This way more populated environments could be improved first and set into usage.

Greetings

epic effect! First areas maybe all cities in a 1km radius? Or coastline at first?

Greetings

:don3:

That difference is unbelievable. No more zoomed google maps/earth resolution. Let's hope that BIS can release some tools.

Greetings

That is just. Wow. I don't know what to say. Man.

So it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

The fact that you, nord, have to retexture the islands yourself...does this mean the BIS Devs aren't working on a fix?

I thought some of the Devs were looking into this issue?

So it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

The fact that you, nord, have to retexture the islands yourself...does this mean the BIS Devs aren't working on a fix?

I thought some of the Devs were looking into this issue?

I understood that BIS can maybe give some tools. Nothing promised but Googlava seemed to be interested. I'm also interested to hear any news about this stuff.

This topic might be better in the General section?

If BI did nothing about this, and you re-textured the entire of Altis i'd be willing to donate for that. After playing a while you get used to those textures and don't care to much, but seeing the comparison its just sad how BI has neglected it.

Yeah same here. Its a ton of work. Much respect for even considering to take on this behemoth task. Good luck. It looks crazy good from the screenshots.

Honestly if BIS isn't willing/able investigating some way to implement the originally suggested midrange logic maps I think it would be a good idea to consider hiring someone to do the project Nord is working on (ie. Nord himself). Of course I have no idea what BIS hiring policies are and whether its even a possibility, but the improvements would be massive and it is almost criminal that Nord is attempting to do it for free.

Greetings

Wow. Excellent work. It's like night and day.

Soo...it's post-release now...any developer word on this? It's been quiet for quite awhile.

I think the close up textures fade distance is way too short. They should be visible much further away without much noticeable tiling. At least up to the distances where the ground clutter/foliage is rendered, as they look very out of place when they sit on the mushy low-res mid-range texture.

The impact this has visually is astounding. Keep up the good work, and BIS would do well to seriously consider implementing this.

If you do the entirety of Altis and Stratis I would be 100% willing to donate some money, seeing that it *is* possible and that somebody's working on it is fantastic news, and I wish you the best of luck.

Greetings

This is AMAZING WORK, NordKindchen! I hope BIS devs will either devote some resources to implement this or provide tools for modding superheroes like yourself to make this happen! This improvement is astounding!

If you do the entirety of Altis and Stratis I would be 100% willing to donate some money, seeing that it *is* possible and that somebody's working on it is fantastic news, and I wish you the best of luck.

Same here, Arma 3 deserves to look that gorgeous, and if Nord makes it happen, he deserves a reward

The results are really remarkable.

It would be much better if this was generated "on the fly" with logic maps and different tileable detail textures, but I could certainly live with a "baked in" higher rez version.

It certainly something that could also be automated to some extent with custom photoshop actions.

i donated icebreakr 20 Euro for all his islands+units, and i will donate some cash for nord too. even if i haven't DL'ed A3 yet after the release, cause i'm simply pissed off. I was at the gamescom and i saw where the focus is on... A3 totally changed my mind regarding the best series ever..Keep on doing it nord

Hey Nord, I just want to come back and say THANK YOU for coming in and putting your time and resources into this. The mid level textures are a HUGE problem in the game. I cannot believe some of the GARBAGE that BIS let out in their FINAL VERSION of the game. That should have been fixed in Alpha.