NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

Very nice. But do those textures look suitable even from the opposite direction?

These aren't in-game shots of textures, those are descriptive screenshots showing how it could look like with the suggested system.

Oh and... I almost forgot... LOGIC MAP! :D

I dont understand what you mean by "opposite direction" ?_?

I wasn't aware it was a mock-up :) I was just looking at the texture and it seems to make sense when viewed from "this" direction, looking at the shading of the "rocks" that are there. From the opposite direction those rocks will not be shaded correct, they'll look upside down. Whatever texture is used, it needs to look correct from all directions.

Reading your comment I first have to say.....LOGIC MAP!! But only so the word is used;)

Now I understand your concern. As I said - the mock up is created by loading textures into the game and taking screenshots with different textures at a specific point.

Therefore the texture you see is actually "ingame" only that it would of course only be one texture in the actual game and not several as in the picture.

Since the textures are used ingame I can say that the textures were useable in every direction. At least it was not ver yunsatisfying to look at them from a different angle;)

Greetings!

State of the art 2013 shooter environment.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I cant believe this hasnt been adressed yet in any kind!

Im afraid this is not a priority for the dev team. Ofcourse I hope for some improvement but..

Answer from DnA why the latest (dev) update was so big.

Its textures are rather high-resolution ;)

NordKindchen, are those latest shots from you taken from the latest dev build?

While I always welcome high res textures, what I'd like to see even more, and I believe the rest of the community as well, is diverse detail textures. That's the main issue atm. and that's what Nord's suggested system is all about.

Its with the latest dev build

And as Minoza understood just right - its not about texture resoution at all - its about texture variation.

i just cant believe they want to let the game come out like that=((( It saddens me everytime I look at the game.

Especially even more since I showed a way to improve this severely...

Answer from DnA why the latest (dev) update was so big.

I'm pretty sure this was a tongue-in-cheek response to a previous comment- He said the patch was so big because the textures for the stance indicator were huge.

I cant believe this hasnt been adressed yet in any kind!

It is bad. Incredibly so. I just want word from BIS that this is being looked at FFS

Yeah, or at the very least a mechanism so that people skilled like Bad Benson or Nord can supply textures to "plug in" afterwards.

They should just do what Bad Benson did: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19524

Or just use his addon.

Looks 100x better

I'm also shocked that BIS hasn't improved it. (but there are a few glaring problems that haven't been fixed: Aiming Deadzone)

No they shouldn't. I don't want one for all texture, we already have that. I will keep repeating this over and over since people seem to not understand what exactly the issue here is. Read Nord's posts until you get it.

BIS SHOULD have used the simpler Benson method from the start rather than the very poor default texture that exists.

Nord's idea is the same but with more layers and variety in the detail.

It looks great and I hope BIS can implement it.

[...]Nord's idea is the same but with more layers and variety in the detail.[...]

It's not basically the same. This is the fundamental difference between those two approaches. If you don't see that you simply didn't get the gist of Nord's idea.

Put simply, Nord proposes a framework where you can have different high quality mid-range textures for different kind of terrain (such as airbase tarmac vs. hilly terrain). He calls it a "logic map".

Bad Benson created one mid-range texture to suit the current framework which looks absolutely outstanding for open terrain. Problem is that it will not do any good for the airbase, the Agia Marina urban area etc.

Correct me if im wrong, but in A2 every surface type can have its own middle texture. Basically the same thing that Nord suggests. Long time ago i was making a terrain and had to create _mco textures for each surface. Or is it something different?

...and this is how a proper report should be done, thank you sir! Also a great idea/feature, seriously your examples add much more "variety" to the flat ground at distances. upvoted

Yeah this is one thing that repeatedly hurts my overall visual experience with Arma 3 :( Hopefully something does get done about this pre-launch. Or rather, the sooner the better since I'm enjoying Arma 3 now!

No they shouldn't. I don't want one for all texture, we already have that. I will keep repeating this over and over since people seem to not understand what exactly the issue here is. Read Nord's posts until you get it.

Just want to repeat this because it is so very important. Bad Bensons mod is great but Nords Idea is above and beyond that and sorely needs to be implemented. It also seems pretty straight forward based on his OP. Out of the top 10 voted issues on the FBT this is probably the one I would want implemented most. Not only is it good for visuals, but its also good for gameplay and camoflauge.

Things don't look good to me. Soon "It's an ALPHA!!!" is no longer going to be applicable, and I believe the likelyhood of new features in beta are slim - though I would love to be proven wrong.

Yeah this is one thing that repeatedly hurts my overall visual experience with Arma 3 :(

Same for me. It is really a pity, especially since ARMA3 is already so much improved over its predecessors, that this drawback stands out even more.

By the way, I'm pretty sure, that BIS is very well aware of the problem - and i'm confident, that they are at least trying to improve the engine in that regard. It would be cool though, if they could comment on the iusse.