NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

I agree,I disabled your mod and checked the new textures and they are better but then I went back and enabled your mod again as its a big improvement.

Wait I didn't even know the texture mod was available! How can I get it going? Would love to experience what I saw in those after screenshots.

Wait I didn't even know the texture mod was available! How can I get it going? Would love to experience what I saw in those after screenshots.

Sorry mate,I looked and could not find it listed anywhere.Pretty sure Nord will fill you in on its download location.

Pretty sure that there is no mod out that achieves Nord's propsed system. Bab benson has a texture replacement pack for midrange textures, but it still doesn't vary what textures are applied based on what the terrain is. Nord's system would do that if it were realized, but that is yet to happen and probably something the devs must do, not modders.

The new patch supposedly has better midrange textures but I can't spot a difference. Has the resolution been bumped up or am I missing something else?

No mod up yet since its impossible at the moment to implement, as -Coulum- explained;)

Wolfstriked must be refering to badbensons or gammadusts texture replacement.

@Wolfstrike: Fly to the airport and watch the airfield - you should see what I mean there;)

Towards the new "More detailed middle distance terrain texture "

I compared some before/after screen I made and didnt spot any difference....Dont know what they changed...=/

yep, it looks more hifidelidy/high definition + plus more contrast, since i do really hate non contrast ground, which looks ugly and unrealistic.

The new update says that they improved the midrange texture.

"More detailed middle distance terrain texture added"

I feel that I have to point out again that its not the lack of resolution in the midrange which let the game look undetailed. Its the lack of diversity. And this simply cannot be achieved with only one midrange texture.

Better resoluted textures will not improve the look of the game anymore at that distance. The current resolution suffices as I showed in my examples. What is missing is the possibility to have different textures active at the same time!

I wont explain it again since I did so at least 3 times in the course of this topic.

Pls make BI aware of this issue!

Best regards

Yes ! This is very important, to have different midrange textures, at least one per terrain surfaces.

Opps,thought it was this mod sorry.I see what you meanfellas as the airport is foul looking with just the same texture map over every area of map.Hope this gets looked at!!:rolleyes:

Logic map? Logic map. Logic map!

LOGIC MAP!!!

Hey man, you really need to say logic map more, because people are not getting enough LOGIC MAP. ...Looks like some people confuse what you've done with just upping resolution which is exactly what you are saying doesn't work, yet you talk about that MORE than the actual LOGIC MAP.

So I think you should be more like logic map, logic map, logic map, logic map is better than upping one medium distance overlay resolution.

Instead of being like upping resolution, upping resolution, upping resolution is doesn't actually solve the problem.... logic map.

I think Failberry might be interested to hear that I added an important note to the feedbacktracker entrance.

Besides that I think everyone agrees that all funds resolving from following t-shirt sellings will benefit myself only.

Just kidding;)

Greetings!

So I installed the Sharp1 midrange texture mod, and for grassy areas it was beautiful. Looked almost as good as if there was polygonal grass drawn even out to 1000 meters, of course it didn't come with the performance cost of drawing that grass though.

Unfortunately as has been said, no logic map to draw the noise on grass/dirt instead of everything. A few places really do look bad with the mod, like the airport and air station mike. Hopefully this can be resolved though, it makes a world of difference.

to me, this would be the type of suggestion bis jumps on, so the fact that they aren't too enthusiastic about it(actually they're flat out ignoring it) tells me one thing.

well, it was a good effort nord. i guess the focus now should be to make a noise texture that looks good for a variety of terrain types?

I thought so too. And to be honest - without the suggested system Arma looses much of its potential visually...

It would be a huge disappointment if we really get a 5 year old range sytem for the release version....=/

Anyways - theres only one way to convince them. And thats by showing them the possibilies and telling them how much we want that!

So heres another example:

before_3_small.jpgafter_3_small.jpg

Here is the example in big.

As always: Spread the word! And thanks for your support!

Best regards!

It's not that they're ignoring it, more likely that they cannot aknowledge it publically. They have to assess if they can effectively do something similar at some point and what priority to give it in the gran scheme of all they have to finish first to release the game. The very fact that they tried to improved the midrange texture is a first step indicating that they're aware of the problem to some extent. Dwarden also knows about it. Better not say anything than make promises you cannot keep.

Not being in the know of the internal working of RV4, it's hard to say if it would be a trivial addition or not (probably not as much as we'de think, seing as adding only a "simple" normal map was already a big step as it seems). The good part is that they already have logic maps in use for the clutter, so fingers crossed...

Very good examples though. It's really killing two birds with one stone : with the appropriate set of "midrange detail texture" for each kind of surface color you not only make the far away ground look better, it also helps create the illusion of distant grass, rock and clutter for camouflage.

Love it! Should be rally in the final game. Voted the ticket up. Thanks!

Bumping this. We really need some type of solution like OP suggests, these vanilla mid ranges just don't stand up to the same level of quality that the rest of Arma 3 so far commands.

Couple of my own screenshots showing the vanilla textures in worst case scenario:

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/5410/textures2h.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/7352/textures1z.jpg

Good pictures DaRkL3AD3R, really singles out how only the midrange textures are not up to date

Thanks for the pictuers DaRKL3AD3R!

Btw: Here is something new;)

This again is my personal taste. While it seems that many people share this taste;) It is important to keep in mind that my system aims at diversity! That means an integration of a logicmap to enable more than one texutre on the whole island at the same time. Again at the moment we only got one texture thats getting tiled over the whole island.

So no matter how good the texture mod you are using is: it will neve ever be able to reproduce something similar.

This is important to understand. (While I guess many people wont...)

So here are the examples!

Here is the example in small

before_4_small.jpgafter_4_small.jpg

Best regards!

Btw: Here is something new;)

This again is my personal taste. While it seems that many people share this taste;) It is important to keep in mind that my system aims at diversity! That means an integration of a logicmap to enable more than one texutre on the whole island at the same time. Again at the moment we only got one texture thats getting tiled over the whole island.

So no matter how good the texture mod you are using is: it will neve ever be able to reproduce something similar.

This is important to understand. (While I guess many people wont...)

So here are the examples!

Here is the example in small

Best regards!

Very nice. But do those textures look suitable even from the opposite direction?