Sign in to follow this  
Kindling

ARMA III on Linux servers via WINE

By the way, how did you get past the dxd11.dll error?

ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe steam://rungameid/107410
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:module:import_dll Library d3d11.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Arma 3\\arma3.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Arma 3\\arma3.exe" failed, status c0000135

ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ 

i'm tryning on my old notebook before buy a ded Linux server... but when i launch arma 3... the game don't start.

that is the error.

system: ubuntu 12.4.2, wine 1.4

ps. d3dx11_42 installed.

Edited by T3mp

ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe steam://rungameid/107410
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:module:import_dll Library d3d11.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Arma 3\\arma3.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Arma 3\\arma3.exe" failed, status c0000135

ema@ema-HP-Compaq-6720s:~$ 

i'm tryning on my old notebook before buy a ded Linux server... but when i launch arma 3... the game don't start.

that is the error.

ps. d3dx11_42 installed.

Same thing here

hello bullkanox,

tnx to try support me but the command string is in " ", so the syntax is correct. I also try your string without results ...

Peppe

that is the error.

ps. d3dx11_42 installed.

Its important to install the latest dev version of wine -- > wine-1.5.27.tar.bz2

I have try the wine stable 1.4, no positive result here !

hello bullkanox,

tnx to try support me but the command string is in " ", so the syntax is correct. I also try your string without results ...

Peppe

You'll have to use Windows paths for the profile directory - all the options, configs etc should be in a Windows format. Instead of -profiles="/home/username/Documents/Arma 3 Alpha/username.Arma3AlphaProfile", use -profiles="C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\username.Arma3AlphaProfile" for example. C: refers to the folder /home/username/.wine/drive_c and you can use 'winecfg' to add new drive maps, effectively allowing you to alias any folder as any Windows drive letter if you'd like WINE to have more access over different locations.

And yes, saro is absolutely right - you need to be using at least WINE 1.5.x (I've only tested with 1.5.24 and up). You might have trouble with stable LTS-class distros like CentOS, Debian Stable and RHEL as they may not include support for the latest library versions that WINE 1.5 requires - in this case, it's possible to either separately install the up-to-date libraries to /usr/local or bootstrapping another distro into a chroot, perhaps Debian Testing/Unstable with debootstrap or a chroot install of Funtoo but I don't suggest this unless you're an experienced Linux administrator. It's much easier to simply try a different distro or update to a 'testing' release if outdated libraries are an issue, though of course this can cause other issues.

Edited by Kindling

Hello again, I start arma3 server in ubuntu server, I can not give many details, because my English is not good ... i try to be clear

1 - install "winetricks"

2 - Download "SteamInstall.msi" (win version) and install it with wine

3 - Create an empty file and place this script inside

#! /bin/bash
wine /home/code/.wine/dosdevices/c:/program\ files/steam/steam.exe -no-dwrite
#-no-dwrite (used to see the letters on steam)

4 - I downloaded the game and at the terminate, between in the properties of the game and in the first tab I clicked "set launch options" and i write "-server" and close window.

The game, is set to be released as a server, but steam account is online ...!

Now, if we want to launch the server of arma3 in ubuntu server and play from our PC, we must start steam in offline mode.

5 - open steam, let steam menu, settings, accounts and uncheck "dont's save account credentials on this computer" and give ok.

6 - going back to steam menu and select "Go Offline ..." and "Restart in Offline Mode". Sure steam starts and can not see the letters, then close steam and run the bash at point 3.

7 - start arma3 (with the-server parameter. See point 4)

I used google translator, i hope you understand.

I hope comments ... Bye!

Edited by bullkanox

You'll have to use Windows paths for the profile directory - all the options, configs etc should be in a Windows format. Instead of -profiles="/home/username/Documents/Arma 3 Alpha/username.Arma3AlphaProfile", use -profiles="C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\username.Arma3AlphaProfile" for example. C: refers to the folder /home/username/.wine/drive_c and you can use 'winecfg' to add new drive maps, effectively allowing you to alias any folder as any Windows drive letter if you'd like WINE to have more access over different locations.

And yes, saro is absolutely right - you need to be using at least WINE 1.5.x (I've only tested with 1.5.24 and up). You might have trouble with stable LTS-class distros like CentOS, Debian Stable and RHEL as they may not include support for the latest library versions that WINE 1.5 requires - in this case, it's possible to either separately install the up-to-date libraries to /usr/local or bootstrapping another distro into a chroot, perhaps Debian Testing/Unstable with debootstrap or a chroot install of Funtoo but I don't suggest this unless you're an experienced Linux administrator. It's much easier to simply try a different distro or update to a 'testing' release if outdated libraries are an issue, though of course this can cause other issues.

hello, sorry but I'm little confused :( ... 1st time I use wine.

my arma installation path is:

/home/username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Arma 3

so, if I want my username.arma3alphaprofile file in the game root, I create a directory username in that path and the username.arma3alphaprofile inside.

then I run thre game with -profile="c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\username\username.arma3alphaprofile"

correct?

peppe

hello, sorry but I'm little confused :( ... 1st time I use wine.

my arma installation path is:

/home/username/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Arma 3

so, if I want my username.arma3alphaprofile file in the game root, I create a directory username in that path and the username.arma3alphaprofile inside.

then I run thre game with -profile="c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\username\username.arma3alphaprofile"

correct?

peppe

Correct! :)

Never used Wine on a server environment.

Does it work on a non-window-manager installation? I don't want to clog up my server install with useless window manager

I guess the answer is no, seeing how A3 client creates a new window

Never used Wine on a server environment.

Does it work on a non-window-manager installation? I don't want to clog up my server install with useless window manager

I guess the answer is no, seeing how A3 client creates a new window

It's happy with a fairly minimal set of dependencies - check my ARMA2 WINE server install script, I'm pretty sure that build will work happily with the ARMA3 server app (though I've not tested that yet). You do need some sort of X server to render the application window but I'm sure you'll find that xvfb is very light.

Hi, thanks a lot for the tutorial.

For people running Debian i386 servers, here's how i managed to install wine and run the arma server (I'm not a linux pro so feel free to correct me if something looks wrong to you):

- Install and run Screen, Xvfb and blackbox as described in the main post.

- Add a debian sid repo to your sources.list and update apt-get (sorry can't post the link as i'm a new member)

- Install libwine-unstable and wine-unstable using aptitude (it will resolve and install dependencies better than apt-get) :

aptitude install libwine-unstable
aptitude install wine-unstable

- Install winetricks using dpkg (i got the winetricks package from the debian french ftp server, i can't post the link as i'm a new member), and resolve dependencies using apt-get :

dpkg -i winetricks_0.0+20121030+svn918-1_all.deb
apt-get install -f

- Launch the steam installer using wine (ex: french distribution) :

wine msiexec -i SteamInstall_French.msi

- Install Steam and A3 throught the vnc interface.

- I had to install missing dlls using winetricks as described in the main post :

winetricks d3dx11_42
winetricks xact

- I had to upload d3d11.dll manualy to the Arma 3 folder, you can dowload it or grab it from your own sytem32 folder.

- Edit your server config files as described in the post mentionned in the main post and launch the server using wine with the following syntax (i installed steam at the root of drive C) :

wine ".wine/drive_c/steam/SteamApps/common/Arma 3/arma3.exe" -server -config=server.cfg [other options]

Thanks again for the initial tutorial, we couldn't afford a win2k8 server and this works great (even though we havn't realy tested the server stability yet).

Edited by GID_Sacha

The following link helped me to compile Wine 1.5.27 on Debian "testing" (sid) :

http://verahill.blogspot.fr/2013/04/376-wine-1527-on-debian-i386-chroot.html

I had several problem before I found this tutorial (freetype font problem, several mission dev packages...)... A real PITA indeed.

Then:

0/ create basic X11 env with Xvfb and x11vnc:

export DISPLAY=:68

export XAUTHORITY=$PWD/Xvfb_xauth

xauth -f $XAUTHORITY add $DISPLAY MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 $(cat /dev/urandom | tr -c -d 0-9a-f | dd bs=1 count=16 2>/dev/null)

Xvfb :68 -auth $XAUTHORITY -fbdir var -s 1 -noreset -nolisten tcp -screen 0 800x600x16 &

blackbox -display $DISPLAY >/dev/null 2>&1 &

x11vnc -listen (myip) -display :68 -auth $XAUTHORITY -noxfixes -q -passwd changethis &

1/ remove previous .wine folder used for dayz/arma2/wine1.4

rm $HOME/.wine

2/ create a pseudo windows shell.

winecfg

3/ same winetricks as for DayZ (maybe optional...):

winetricks --no-isolate corefonts sound=disabled tahoma gecko vcrun2010

(hint: If you got "unable to find a volume for file extraction", then you really need to remove .wine folder and redo winecfg)

4/ install steam & arma3:

winetricks --no-isolate steam

(note: MPMissions is empty. This is not an issue if you want to run default Stratis missions)

5/ create a directory structure for your server config files:

C:\cfg (aka $HOME/.wine/drive_c)

├── ArmA3AlphaOA.cfg (contain netcode/timezone parameters, similar as Arma2)

├── arma3_2013-04-10_17-34-37.rpt (autocreated by the server)

├── server.cfg (contains server name, motd, mission name... similar as Arma2)

├── server.log (will contain connection logs)

└── Users

****** └── server

****** ├── server.ArmA3AlphaProfile (contains difficulty profiles)

****** └── server.vars.Arma3AlphaProfile

6/ go to "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Arma 3" folder, then enter:

wine arma3.exe -server -ip (my IP) -port=(my port) '-profiles=C:\cfg' -name=server '-cfg=C:\cfg\ArmA3Alpha.cfg' '-config=C:\cfg\server.cfg' -world=Stratis

ArmA3Alpha server seems to work with this setup. I died in few minutes :)

Hello, our team got a Linux dedicated server (Ubuntu 12.04) and we often play on Arma III Alpha, so i've decided to folow these tutorial. Thanks to the author for these tutorial, it's working amazing after some problems solved by myself with the help of Ubuntu wiki and these tutorials replies :D. So I have succesfully launched the VNC instance with blackbox and succesfully installed Steam too, but at these point when i'm launch steam it's seems working because we can see a "things" that like to be the connexion menu but without any text expect the logo, look the image below with the console running threads :

steam.png

I've read on the wine wiki of ubuntu that is necessary to install news fonts like liberation and tahoma with winetricks, so i've done that but it's seems to had the same problem, maybe one of you had an idea of my problem ?

Best Regards,

[1REV]Vbr74.

Problem solved : Steam must be runned with these followed parameter under wine :

wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-dwrite
Edited by vbr74
Problem Solved

Is there any way to disable Windows Error Reporting in Wine? I tried the registry edit but it doesn't work.

Is there any way to disable Windows Error Reporting in Wine? I tried the registry edit but it doesn't work.

winetricks nocrashdialog

as noted in the WineHQ FAQ.

If that doesn't work, make sure that you have the correct prefix activated (export WINEPREFIX=/home/arma/.wine for example) and try it again.

winetricks nocrashdialog

as noted in the WineHQ FAQ.

If that doesn't work, make sure that you have the correct prefix activated (export WINEPREFIX=/home/arma/.wine for example) and try it again.

Thanks a lot. That works!

I have a server running on Linux using Wine.

Users experience desync when the player count goes above 15.

Anyone else having these issues? Is there any way to fix this?

Server Specs:

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz

8GB DDR3 Memory

100mbit dedicated connection

I have a server running on Linux using Wine.

Users experience desync when the player count goes above 15.

Anyone else having these issues? Is there any way to fix this?

Server Specs:

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz

8GB DDR3 Memory

100mbit dedicated connection

It's difficult to troubleshoot this kind of issue - have you noticed anything odd in your WINE or server log? Have you checked iostat, vmstat, ntop and such output during the desync to ensure that you're not facing a performance bottleneck with CPU, HDD or RAM/swapping? If not, it's probably not a WINE/Linux issue (in which case you should search the forums or create a new topic). Also, be sure you don't have anything you don't need listening for connections (netstat will show you listening ports), have a look at the firewall (note 'dropped packets' in iptables -Lv and ip6tables -Lv) and generally make sure the problem is not due to your server connection or latency.

we have been unable to load the profile with wine.

We want to turn the cursor and 3rd person view.

Someone can guide us or write your boot line?

This script is the one we use today:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/Arma3P/ && nohup wine arma3server2.exe -ip=xx.xxx.xxx.xx -exThereads=1 -port=2406 "-profiles=/home/Arma3P/profiles" -name=rds -profile=/home/Arma3P/profiles -cfg=/profiles/Arma3.cfg -config=rds.cfg

Thanks for the help!

I am trying this on a dedicated server and it simply is not working.

I dont follow the instructions?

When I get to the parth where I have to install the files on the server and try to run the ArmA3_Steam_updater either via SSH or in the tightvnc veiwer it says bad EXE.

I cant get past this stage!

Please help.

I have rented a remote server which is running ubuntu

btw op if I could pm you the server details can you please try to do this for me?

does this tutorial assume you have a gui installed before you start?

think ive spent around 4 days now trying to get this working and still with no joy...

the steps up to apt-get install wine1.5 winetricks (which I had to change to sudo apt-get install wine1.5 winetricks because you say I have to use the user account and not root) all work fine and I can log in to vnc fine too. after that its all a disaster every time!

@jcarrest:

- all paths (profiles, cfg, ...) given to the arma3server.exe have to be "windows paths" - you can use winepath to translate those "linux paths"

- "-profile=..." is not a valid startup parameter (it's "-profiles=...") and there's a typo in exThreads

@barry100:

- I think by installing xvfb (as described in the tutorial) all necessary packets for the "gui" should be installed automatically

- what's that ArmA3_Steam_updater you're running?

@jcarrest:

- all paths (profiles, cfg, ...) given to the arma3server.exe have to be "windows paths"

I think the best and easyest practice is to write all paths relative to the arma root folder. As an example, you can make a folder called "MyProfiles" in the arma root and give "-profiles=MyProfiles" as the parameter.

Has anyone managed to get BE working via WINE on any linux distro at all? We're running Debian Wheezy here (7) and the server works A-OK, but it's the BE that is an issue. AFAIK gnome-keyring isn't multiarch compatible, (that's the error we get), but it would still be nice to know if there is a workaround for this, if it's an issue a developer of BE can fix, or if it's an actual issue with using the server via WINE that cannot be rectified?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Thank you all for the support

I got it using the program TADST. I configured everything and gave me the exact path.

The problem has come with the latest version 0.76. Well not even get to start the exe

Now does not create a log file.

I'm the only one?

Esl last month was lovely.

I love ubuntu but sometimes leaves me petrified....