Sign in to follow this  
TV-PressPass

Two Stage Reload

I'm a big fan of the simulation side of Arma. I love being able to read targets, adjust elevation and windage, etc.

I've seen lots of posts about weapon resting, thats something I want.

This is something different I'd love to see: multi-stage reloads.

The idea is a simple simulation of reality: when my rifle on the range is dry, I don't just perform one action to put a new magazine in.

I remove the empty mag.

I insert the full mag.

I hit the bolt release to chamber the first round.

Is there any reason those stages couldn't be bound to different keys that have to happen sequentially? I was in love with Red Orchestra when I had to click again to rack the bolt on my Kar98, and I would love to see the modern equivalent in a game like Arma.

Of course this is a slippery slope.

I would love to simulate the screw up of dropping the bolt before your first round is chambered. I would love to skip the bolt release if you reload before the mag is empty (admin reload for you magpul types) or see a system where reload speeds would be tied to which compartment your gear is in.

What do we think? Is it do-able? Is it worthwhile?

I know with ACE2, there is weapon jamming. You just hit R again to unjam your weapon. Personally, I'd love if you had direct control over different parts of the weapon. I love how you can hit a button to put the weapon on SAFE and how you can set the F key to only cycle between the different fire modes. Having an additional key to control the bolt, or an additional key to flip the weapon on the side to check the chamber, those would be animations that I would absolutely love. It would slow things down in a firefight, but it would make it very imersive.

I think you should start work on this. I would suggest looking at the current animations and how the reloading works. I can't recall off the top of my head, but aren't there two different reload animations depending on whether your clip is dry or not? If so, I'd check to see if the bolt release is a separate animation or if it is part of a longer separate animation. If it's a separate animation, then you can control it. Try setting up a trigger in the editor and see if you can run that animation. Also, see how the ACE "SAFE" setting works to disable the firing of the weapon. Maybe you can get some ideas on how to use the position of the bolt to determine if the weapon can fire or not.

BTW, IBTL. This particular board is meant for stuff you ARE working on, not mod/addon suggestions.

That would be awesome, cause fast reloading is a matter of practice, not all the soldiers reload their weapons at the same speed, in a PvP should be important, I think it should be possible to do, but hard and definitly most people would hate it, also is not a priority.

Mmm this goes to the request addon thread, but good idea.

There was somebody making an AKM mod for A2 recently that did a lot of what you guys are talking about. I'd link it for you but I'm too lazy :cool:

Multi-stage, maybe, but not only that imo. Like the simple difference between bullpup and standard, do they have that? Freefall mag vs not.