Sign in to follow this  
Wolf85

Throwing a grenade through a window don't breaks it

The effect of the window glass is quite goodl but could be improved considerably. I have a question also about windows, do not know if this is a bug, or just that the engine does not allow this little detail.

If you throw a grenade into a window, the grenade bounces and does not break that window. When granade explode logically windows will break, but I think a window should be penetrable due to the direct impact of a grenade thrown by hand. As a tactical view this will a good option to clean houses from outside.

What do you say?

The effect of the window glass is quite goodl but could be improved considerably. I have a question also about windows, do not know if this is a bug, or just that the engine does not allow this little detail.

If you throw a grenade into a window, the grenade bounces and does not break that window. When granade explode logically windows will break, but I think a window should be penetrable due to the direct impact of a grenade thrown by hand. As a tactical view this will a good option to clean houses from outside.

What do you say?

Huh, I just wish I could be in a building and shoot OUT of the window. It appears there is an invisible wall that allows me to see through the window, but not fire out of it.. I'd imagine that is fixed by Beta.

To be honest mate even the windows that don't have glass in can't have grenades posted through them.

I would also like to see this addressed in the Beta :)

I don't think I'd ever throw a live grenade at a closed window, because I wouldn't be able to predict the result.

I think you'll usually loop a grenade in through an opening from a very close distance and from that close distance, you might not be able to deliver enough power to break the window and if you don't, now you have a live grenade rolling down between your feet.

• Like 1

I'm with Dallas, I don't see tossing a grenade at a solid window having 100% positive results for the thrower. Even if you do chuck it and break the window, the impact would probably slow the grenade and make it drop just inside the room, instead of going farther in for maximum damage. I usually just shoot out the window and quickly follow up with a grenade, or when playing with a buddy have him shoot out the window right as I'm tossing the grenade.

@Cross888: Have you tried multiple houses? I was able to get grenades through windows in one of the two story houses in south east Agia Marina.

I'm with Dallas, I don't see tossing a grenade at a solid window having 100% positive results for the thrower. Even if you do chuck it and break the window, the impact would probably slow the grenade and make it drop just inside the room, instead of going farther in for maximum damage. I usually just shoot out the window and quickly follow up with a grenade, or when playing with a buddy have him shoot out the window right as I'm tossing the grenade.

@Cross888: Have you tried multiple houses? I was able to get grenades through windows in one of the two story houses in south east Agia Marina.

I believe taht second story windows are breakable, but the lower ones aren't

the windows seem to be inconsistent in general. some times when I'm trying to shoot out one, I keep hearing the 'breaking glass' sound, but the bullets don't seem to penetrate (and like I said, the glass keeps 'breaking', where it should break once)

I assume they'll work all this out

I keep hearing the 'breaking glass' sound, but the bullets don't seem to penetrate

My A2OA experience in a nut shell. Ha ha.

@TG Marksman X: That would explain it, could of swore I had broken 1st floor windows as well but I don't even remember. I'm sure it's real hit or miss on various buildings.

I've shot out windows during gameplay, so it must be inconsistent as to which ones break and which do not.

Single story buildings with small frames cannot be shot through, you hear the glass breaking but it treats the hit geo as though it were solid from either side. Second story windows of the same type ARE breakable and you can even see 3D panes falling apart if you get up close, quite a nice touch.

Lastly, single story buildings with large window frames can break but also contain some odd hit geo wherein you can shoot the wall nearby and still break the glass.

Never thrown a live grenade into a window, thank God. But I can say that throwing a training grenade into a window doesn't usuaully end up like people believe it would. It usually just bounces back. One of the reason why windows are usually shot in before the throw or hammered in with weapon stocks.

Take it from a glazier. Throwing anything a grenade at a residential window would not be good idea. Unless you throw as hard as you can and directly straight at the window, there's a high chance the window will break and crack, but the grenade will not enter the building. It would fall to the ground, bounce off, or just crack one of the panes of glass.

IF they used single pane 2mm glass for windows (used in picture frames), sure you could throw grenades through them. However windows are double glazed with thickness of anywhere from 3mm to 10mm per glass pane. Most common are 3mm-6mm for standard residential windows.

Then there's always laminated glass which is very common for business's that you simply could not throw a grenade hard enough to penetrate.

In short, you want to throw a grenade into a building. Smash or otherwise shoot out the window first. Move with a squad, have someone shoot out the window as you throw the grenade.

What would be nice is more consistency in the ability to break glass and less "fake" windows. I'm sure they are slowly adding breakable glass to the buildings. I think even with the latest updates some buildings have been changed to breakable glass (I can't say if thats true or not, just my own accidental findings and thinking back to if it was possible prior to an update)

As for a grenade launcher... at close range that should break any standard residential glass without much effort. Not sure if it would go through laminated glass... might be worth looking into. *update, M203 Grenade Launcher used in game fires the projectile at 250 feet per second / 76 meters per second. It would destroy standard 6mm laminated glass.

And remember, this is set in the future, maybe in this future timeline the standard in windows will have changed to something much stronger.

Edited by RuecanOnRails

"And remember, this is set in the future, maybe in this future timeline the standard in windows will have changed to something much stronger."

By taking a quick look at the houses on the islands I really doubt they're much futuristic, same goes for their windows ;)

FWIW, on three occassions last night, all on second story of buildings, I was unable to shoot my under-barrel grenade launcher through a window that was intact. What was at least nice is they did not explode in the rom, as they simply dropped to the floor...

For me, some glass makes a smashing noise but bullets do not pass through it, think it was the air control tower in the air base. Also IMO grenades should have a high chance of bouncing off a window. I think they will fix the glass problem with the Beta and then you will have to shoot a couple of rounds to break glass and then chuck the nade in. Throwing a grenade through a seconds floor window would be a lot harder then it seems in real life. Also if any windows are double glazed there is virtually no chance of throwing a nade in through it.

Dude I would never throw a grenade at a closed window. Even stones can bounce off and come back at you. Modern windows are quite stable.

Just shoot the window out and then throw the grenade.

Take it from a glazier. Throwing anything a grenade at a residential window would not be good idea. Unless you throw as hard as you can and directly straight at the window, there's a high chance the window will break and crack, but the grenade will not enter the building. It would fall to the ground, bounce off, or just crack one of the panes of glass.

I know this is old AF but take it from someone whom as a child broke many new construction double pane windows for fun, (and with very little effort) if a rock or small baseball can ruin your days' work so can a grenade... Andersen, Pella, it don't matter. If residential the contractor just got f'ed if I was nearby.. So yea the game is bugged still to this day. Don't try to misdirect a bug to some horseshit RW nonsense. Thanks.