Sign in to follow this  
rhyswilliams999

IFrit classname changed in Dev update.

With the most recent dev update, they have corrected the name of the Opfor Vehicles. this means that if you are running the Dev version of Arma 3 Alpha, then you cannot play/edit missions that have the IFrit vehicle loaded in them.

To update a mission in arma 3 alpha that has these vehicles loaded in them, you have to edit the mission.sqm. (recommend using Notepad++)

First to change is the ref to what addons are needed.

In the addOns[]= section:

Replace "A3_Soft_F_Galkin" with "A3_Soft_F_Ifrit"

in the addOnsAuto[]= section:

Replace "A3_Soft_F_Galkin" with "A3_Soft_F_Ifrit"

next we need to do a search for "Galkin", when you find a ref to anything with the Galkin name in it, replace it with the IFrit equivelent like so:

Found (use <Expand> to show code blocks):

class Item1
	{
		position[]={3015.1987,9.5831432,5508.4629};
		azimut=-70.427902;
		special="NONE";
		id=55;
		side="EMPTY";
		vehicle="O_Galkin_F";   //Notice name of vehicle here...
		lock="LOCKED";
		skill=0.2;
		init="this allowDamage False; this exec "ammo.sqf";
	};

Change to:

class Item1
	{
		position[]={3015.1987,9.5831432,5508.4629};
		azimut=-70.427902;
		special="NONE";
		id=55;
		side="EMPTY";
		vehicle="O_Ifrit_F";    //Notice name of vehicle here...
		lock="LOCKED";
		skill=0.2;
		init="this allowDamage False; this exec ""ammo.sqf"";";
	};

Hope this helps folks work out why, after the update, they cant edit/play their missions.

Edited by rhyswilliams999
Spelling

Cheers noticed this and ended up reverting to the original. Thanks for the fix

Or just not make missions anymore till they are done with changing names. Not looking forward to create mission updates every other day just because a name has changed. :)

A3_Modules_F_UAV has been changed too, apparently. I realize this is only an Alpha and that this is a Dev branch ... but really - it makes it a pain for people who are developing missions. Either way, there will be a whole bunch of missions that are unplayable as-is and will have to be updated by users or their authors.

A3_Modules_F_UAV has been changed too, apparently. I realize this is only an Alpha and that this is a Dev branch ... but really - it makes it a pain for people who are developing missions. Either way, there will be a whole bunch of missions that are unplayable as-is and will have to be updated by users or their authors.

These changes will be present in next stable build as well. The game is in alpha stage and some changes are unavoidable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Class name changes should never happen during dev branch updates.

Probably not, however it was clearly said from the beginning that such things can happen. So I wouldn't be too much surprised that it happens now.

If I work with an Alpha version of something, I have to expect such things happen. After all 'Alpha' is not part of the game title but a development status. Some people seem to forget this. :)

It is about good practice, good user experience and it is just completely unnecessary to break community missions and addons in frequent dev branch updates. To do class name changes just in stable updates is easily enough.

Good software development has not relation to an alpha release whatsoever and to use "alpha" as argument is just a poor excuse.

;2352588'].... to use "alpha" as argument is just a poor excuse.
If you can't accept that it is still in Alpha then don't use it. You were given a choice to participate in the Alpha but you don't have to. After all' date=' who's forcing you? I can't believe your complaining. Remember, you paid less than HALF full price, and you're still moaning?

Which part of [b']"it's Alpha"[/b] don't you understand?

I say thanks to the rhyswilliams999 and MissionCreep for pointing these changes out.

Edited by Beerkan

;2352588']It is about good practice' date=' good user experience and it is just completely unnecessary to break community missions and addons in frequent dev branch updates. To do class name changes just in stable updates is easily enough.

Good software development has not relation to an alpha release whatsoever and to use "alpha" as argument is just a poor excuse.[/quote']

Don't be silly. It's not an excuse, it's a reality. They called it an Alpha before anybody got their hands on it for a reason. If I give you a first draft of a book I'm writing, expect sentences and words to be taken out and reformatted.

Mission makers know the risks of creating Alpha missions and I'm sure they are hardly upset by simply searching "Galkin" in their notepad and replacing it all with "Ifrit" which takes less time than making a full new mission. If you do have a problem with it, then don't make missions. BIS was excellent enough to take steps in a different direction from most game developers by providing this Alpha, not only as a gift to their fans and mod makers, but because they aren't just trying to cash in on a turd pile, they actually want to create an amazing game.

I know comments like these are not predominant sentiment among the community, but I really don't want BIS to be discouraged by posts like this. Keep doing what you're doing, it's the right thing, the best thing, a bold thing.

Mission makers know the risks of creating Alpha missions and I'm sure they are hardly upset by simply searching "Galkin" in their notepad and replacing it all with "Ifrit" which takes less time than making a full new mission. If you do have a problem with it, then don't make missions. BIS was excellent enough to take steps in a different direction from most game developers by providing this Alpha, not only as a gift to their fans and mod makers, but because they aren't just trying to cash in on a turd pile, they actually want to create an amazing game..

I agree, except that it would be nice if BIS would catalog these changes (unless I've missed something here) so mission makers (and the end users/customers who may not even know how to unpack a pbo) know. People are continuing to make missions for the first Alpha using the old names. There will be a lot of disappointed end users (look at what people are playing in multiplayer/co-op right now) when the changes go stable.

It did break some missions but using ctrl+f in notepad++ and I can replace galkin with ifrit no problems. It will be good when its rolled out to everybody rather than just the dev branch.

It did break some missions but using ctrl+f in notepad++ and I can replace galkin with ifrit no problems. It will be good when its rolled out to everybody rather than just the dev branch.
I too use notepad++ with the ArmA3 addon. I used Find in files then search and replace "Galkin" with "IFrit" in my Missions folder. Worked a treat.

If you can't accept that it is still in Alpha then don't use it. You were given a choice to participate in the Alpha but you don't have to. After all, who's forcing you? I can't believe your complaining. Remember, you paid less than HALF full price, and you're still moaning?

Which part of "it's Alpha" don't you understand?

Kju is one of the people out there who are spending a lot of their free time to bring you all some missions to actually play this game on.

Please have a little more respect.

He is completely right in saying that classname changes should be held off until stable updates. Also when they are done, they should be fully documented to allow us to actually fix the issues in our missions.

He is completely right in saying that classname changes should be held off until stable updates. Also when they are done, they should be fully documented to allow us to actually fix the issues in our missions.

na mate, its a Dev version of an Alpha, there is a reason its a Dev version, so that changes like this can be made and sorted out. If the changes were held off until the stable, we would't know about it till the stable patch, then scrambling to get it updated when it comes out. This way, when the stable patches roll through, we already have content that's up and running with the patches.

I noticed last night that vehicles refuse to drive over road bridges >.<

hello people :)

Back to the drawing board it seems, where can I find all the vehicles and weapons old classname and their new classname ?

knowing this, it will be easier for me to fix the coop MP mission which I work my a.....of for many hours.

all the best

ranker...out!!!

hello people :)

Back to the drawing board it seems, where can I find all the vehicles and weapons old classname and their new classname ?

knowing this, it will be easier for me to fix the coop MP mission which I work my a.....of for many hours.

all the best

ranker...out!!!

Here you go bud all done here for you ...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157300-Converting-Alpha-Missions-to-run-in-Beta&p=2420372&viewfull=1#post2420372