Sign in to follow this  
sasij

Problem calling addAction from within a script.

Hello, I'm completely new to scripting for arma games so I do apologize if this is old but I have been searching google and forums for a couple hours now with no luck. My problem is that I am trying to add action to the player with addAction. It works fine if I put addAction[] etc.. in the "init" box of the unit manually. But I am trying now to put nul = [this] execVM "respawn.sqf"; in the init box and all the code in a script. The code is executed but my player gets no additional actions like he did when I enter it in the init box manually. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Perhaps I need to reference "this" differently? Thanks to anyone who can assist.

respawn.sqf

titleText ["Respawn Event handled. Food and Water reset.", "PLAIN"];
hunger = 0;
thirst = 0;
this addAction ["Check Hunger and Thirst Levels.", "check_foodwater.sqf"];      
this addaction ["Heal Self.","heal.sqf"];  

outside of the init line, you have to refer to the unit specifically. Substitute this with player and see if that works, such as:

_action1 = player addAction ["Check Hunger and Thirst Levels.", "check_foodwater.sqf"];
_action2 = player addaction ["Heal Self.","heal.sqf"];

Thanks for the response but I had already tried using player to no avail. But I did manage to fix my problem just now. Not sure if it's the correct way but it seems to have worked. So for anyone else with a similar issue here is how I got it.

_me = _this select 0;
_me addAction ["Check Hunger and Thirst Levels.", "check_foodwater.sqf"];      
_me addaction ["Heal Self.","heal.sqf"];  

if you view the addaction page it will explain what variables are returned from the addaction array.

[target, caller, ID, (arguments)]

target: Object - the object which the action is assigned to

caller: Object - the unit that activated the action

ID: Integer - ID of the activated action

arguments: Anything - arguments given to the script if you are using the extended syntax

so in relation to the above - if you placed your addaction script on an empty item - it wont work - as _me = target. - if you changed it to _me = _this select 1; - then that would be the caller/person who activated the addaction.

hope that points you in the right direction for other addaction bits.