Sign in to follow this  
gammadust

TimeXleration (for Arma 3)

v1.51 (updated 15/09/2013) | v1.6MP beta (under test)

by Gamma

DESCRIPTION:

Allows to accelerate the in-game daytime maintaining the rest of the simulation normal "speed" intact.

• New version includes a settings panel for on the fly setup
  • All settings are updated realtime (care was taken but beware: you may hog your CPU)
  • New version allows basic Weather manipulation

USAGE:

Script comes in two versions, as a mission addon which you can configure in your missions init or as a game addon providing a panel for easy set up.

To access the panel use:

1. (0-8-1) (both versions)
  2. Choose settings (or accept defaults)
  3. Click the button "Run" (you may then change settings while "Running")

(Note: checkbox "Realtime" is disabled though it is in effect)

Currently with the new settings panel pretty much everything is self explanatory:

• Acceleration Factor (-600 ... +600)
    • 60 will make a in-game minute pass in a real second | 600 - 10 game minutes in 1 real second | etc...
    • negative values make the time go backwards
    • values between -1 and +1 correspond to slow motion effect

[*]Updates Rate (0.001 ... 33)

• = Updates per second - basically a smoothing slider, values above 15 achieve good enough results

[*]Simulation Factor (0.001 ... 4)

• official time compressor, accelerates everything including animations, etc.

The setting which may stress more the CPU is Update Rate, a value of 30 provides the smoothest results, impacts around 2-4 fps in an i3770k, depending also on generated weather. A value of 20 should be a good compromise. (a warning signal may be added latter on in case the calculation lags).

• All Arma Weather settings (wip)*

* Still missing waves and lightning settings

Note that some values, stay “lockedâ€/â€freezed†depending on mission INTEL settings (manual/auto checkboxes), and other more obscure factors. (We’re testing alpha!)

Apparently overcast value is the one with the most impact on processing, specially with combinations of high Acceleration Factor and higher cloud coverages. I advise for now to use direct input of value or steping on the sliderbar instead of sliding it.

Additional info:

INSTALATION:

Typical mod folder instalation.

** includes signature keys (v2)

REQUIREMENTS:

• Arma 3 (alpha)
  • signature keys are included but a multiplayer environment as not been tested, and this is just that type of think that is prone to break on this regard. (Players will not share in-game date/time)

Notes/Todo/Compatibility:

• Add remaining weather settings
  • Check the time until next weather changes
  • Add the possibility to compress nightime for another factor

(Some bugs might turn up, if you bump into one just post your finding.

This and other suggestions are very welcome.)

LICENSE:

You are permitted to install, use and modify this software
for personal entertainment/learning purposes only.

Any commercial, promotional, military or educational use or any other use
not explicitely stated is forbidden without the authors permission.
Further inquiries please PM me or reach me at [url="gamma.toile-libre.org"]gamma.toile-libre.org[/url]

You are free to distribute this software for no additional
charge, only as long as the original package distribution
and its included licenses are kept intact.

The authors take no responsibility for any damages this
software may cause. Use it at your own risk.

CHANGELOG v1.51

- Corrected bug in accessing the menu

- Menu access is now the same for mod and mission installs (0-8-1)*

* it uses default BIS facility to add menus, if other mods use the same method the last number shortcut may vary (less risk of incompatibility)

- TimeXleration stamp is now shown for the first 5 seconds of activation only (to facilitate video making using the addon)

- Moved menu up to account for lower resolutions (solution may not fully solve for all screen sizes - input appreciated)

KOWN ISSUES:

- if menu dialog is reinitiated, some button functionality may not assume current setting (solved)

DOWNLOAD:

Updated to v1.51

Armaholic mirror (updated version not available)

Server Admins:

Edited by gammadust

Very cool? Will this work in MP (obviously I guess since there is no singleplayer)? Is it client side only or if you are a server host will it affect all clients?

Very cool? Will this work in MP (obviously I guess since there is no singleplayer)? Is it client side only or if you are a server host will it affect all clients?

Nothing was specifically done to provide MP functionality, this is running client side only, since the main functionality is provided by a local command. For a MP environment, some synching of server and clients time and date would need to be implemented aside.

I may investigate this possibility further, but with no promisses. As time critical has this script is, and visually impacting, i have some doubts it would be easy to transfer all the synching information effectively through the network (this can also be my ignorance). I don't see this synching occurring at the same rate one might want to run it (+20 updates per sec).

great release Gamma this will come in very hand for modders. Thanks.

This may indeed come handy to testbed weather scenarios, specially since it is very dynamic, and as a time compressor saves a lot of time allowing to understand better the weather generation/engine.

Edit: with the rush to publish forgot to include instructions to access the panel. Addon -(0-9) | Mission Script - (0-8-1)

Edited by gammadust

Updated to version 1.4.

Changelog:

- Code optimization (care in extreme values still applies)

- Updated rate now tied to current FPS value (this allows much smoother effect)

- Some new weather settings made available

- Minor dialog corrections

- Demo video added (check 1st post)

I am now on to try and make a multiplayer version of it.

Enjoy! :)

Holy crap, I never realised the clouds were so well implemented.

Loving this but I do find that it is VERY heavy on FPS. Even setting time acceleration to 1 and running it I get a 13FPS drop to 47FPS.

I am also using the script version and noticed that on normal text size the bottom of the display is off the bottom of my screen.

Apart from that ... loving it!

Thanks all...

@Kremator

indeed... by tying the Update rate to the running fps it lost a bit of the flexibility it had to reduce processing.

The actual caculation is one line of code, but it repeats as many times as your running fps, so the more fps the more processing done. In my tests the impact was around 20% (25fps - dropped to 20). It checks with yours (60fps - droped to 47)

There are 2 approaches to deal with this:

- Limit the update to 30fps (falling back to previous mode of processing)

- Factor it down to divisors of the fps (i would prefer this one because of the benefits of synching the calculation with the drawing of the frame)

Anyway i will definitely have to sort it out. I intend to bring this to multiplayer and one really needs to be able to adjust it and limit its adverse impact when online.

Which brings me to the mp. I have been testing mp code and the best way for this to be included in a mp cenario.

Basically a player must be allowed to simply have it off, and it will probably start that way for a client. Letting the server still have the time compressed and keep synching it to clients in a bandwidth reasonable rate.

If a player wants the eyecandy this provides (smooth time/weather updates) he will just turn it on and set the allowed rate. The trick will be having the clients' updates sum to a synched server time depending on these variables.

Currently i have a working version allowing this, as soon as i implement the options for client and for server admin, i will update the thread. Progress on the mp side so far was very encouraging. :)

Edited by gammadust

Just uploaded a multiplayer version (download) - 1st post updated (please do not mirror this version)

Did very basic tests on home server (1st timer on this server side of things), and it run fine. I might have missed server considerations due to this. Anyone is welcome to test it (and stress test it with more players), feedback to improve/solve server issues is of most interest.

The example mission, is just that, 1 BLUFOR squad agains 1 OPFOR in Agia Marina. You can ofcourse include it in your own mission and try it out, instructions in demo init.sqf.

Server admins/mission makers:

- I intend to add some features such as server admin configuration which might include weather settings as in SP version

- Players don't need any mods to access a "TimeXlerated" server. The downloaded mission includes everything required

- You may configure all settings and default start up mode for players (ie. off). Server will still sync date/time to players

- Clients make use of BIS_MENU_GroupCommunication user menu, next versions will get a sub-menu added instead of overwriting the global to allow better compatibility with other mission features that may rely on that menu

Players:

- Currently press [0 - 8] to access the menu

- Allows switch OFF/ON (you will still receive time synchronization from server, but it will bump)

- Choose update rate in basis of frames per second (Updates every 1, 2, 3 or 4 frames) - significantly reduces fps impact

- I intend to provide a better interface for configuration further on

Known issues:

- JIP players might be desynched for the first cycle of synching until they get the first update from server. (I'm on it)

- Players switching OFF and ON will be desynched for that cycle

- Network latency is still not accounted for

Ultimately i will also try to unify the Single Player and Multiplayer releases when code settles.

@Kremator I am pretty happy with results with the 2nd approach i mentioned earlier (running the code every X frames to reduce the impact, still getting both accurate and relatively smooth effect, i will bring these developments soon to the single player version)

Enjoy! (and i await needed mp tests feedback) :)

Edited by gammadust

tried in SP on arma 2 CO beta with ACE and other mods, works great so far :) going to try with some friends tonight

tried and tested on arma 2 OA beta with ACE and other mods , and it was a success noticed me and friend had a 5 minute time difference, nothing much to worry about just thought I would let you know

Edited by ryanbeckey0

Thanks for that input ryan, hopefully i'll be able to address all cenarios were desync might occurr, we should have an update before weekend.

I am also using the script version and noticed that on normal text size the bottom of the display is off the bottom of my screen.

I overlooked this, i didn't know this could happen when using dialogs, as with the mp version i'll try and bring news before the weekend.

Also great vid demoing timexleration (thanks to sickemx):

Edited by gammadust

Ok just uploaded version 1.6 (multiplayer demo mission). 1st post updated.

Changelog	: - Improved base synching code
			  - Added JIP synching
			  - Added Admin menu (only basic authentication)

Todo		: - Allow JIPs to become Admin
			  - Unify with single player version

This JIP coding was a treat, wasn't able to update the SP version due to that. Client and Server config are still handled in menu form. When both versions ge unified this one will get a proper dialog.

There might still be some JIP issues, logging is pretty verbose right now in both client and server, not suitable for longer sessions.

Hope you enjoy it.

Awesome release mate, this will be handy for the mission makers:)

This works great when I'm hosting locally, but when I upload it to my server, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

For the life of me I cannot get this mod to work.

I am trying 0 - 9 to display the time accelleration control panel but it does not work... is there another key combination?

This is the coolest mod I have ever seen. I had no idea Arma 3 had clouds like this, barely even experienced night transitions. I've now just considered how little I have played!! Downloading!

For the life of me I cannot get this mod to work.

I am trying 0 - 9 to display the time accelleration control panel but it does not work... is there another key combination?

Same here, I think things may have broken with the 1.00 release but I'm sure Gammadust will look into it someday. BTW, awesome mod!

/KC