Sign in to follow this  
dragonfire43560

What upgrade would get me the most performance for arma 3

My current pc is

AMD phenom 2 945 @ 3.3 Ghz

4 gigs ram

Geforce 465 GTX 1 gig

Im thinking about either getting an AMD 7950 or a new mobo+i5 3570k.

I can only afford one or the other now. Which would be better for this game and which would be more future proof in general?

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP7

CPU: i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM: 32GB RAM

VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 670 (2048 MB)

Using onboard Realtek sound, with ASUS Xonar Essence STX on order.

Not one hiccup in Linux or Windows, except for Intel's USB-3 drivers in Windows.

Ditto, Arma-3 Alpha doesn't use more than 4 GB of RAM and doesn't seem to be compiled either to support more than one processor thread. :-/

With your specs, I'd relax and just play at minimal video settings as I do, since it's still Alpha or a development (compiled) version. I needed to upgrade due to having 440BX era boards.

I would personnaly wait for the full game to be out before upgrading. You will probably be able to get better deals on the parts and, currently, upgrading will barely change your fps in the game.

I have a similar rig as you currently have, but less powerful:

phenom II x4 940 BE (3.0 ghz)

GeForce GTX 280 1 gig

4 gigs of ram

I have willing to bet we probably have pretty much the same FPS right now even if my rig is older.

Also, If you don't already have one, may I suggets you look for a SSD? It helped a lot for me with arma when I bough one.

Def. new mobo+i5 3570k (or 2500k).

When I moved from phenom II 955 to 2500k, it was the biggest noticeable thing ever in Arma2.

Also remember to save for a better cooler so u can push the cpu to 4.0+ Ghz. But even if you don't, i5 stock will run circles around phenom in Arma.

Yeah, definitely the new processor.

I used to run ArmA 2 with a GTX 560 Ti and an old Q6600... Upgraded to an i5 3570K at 3.8 Ghz and wow... The difference was really massive. I can't imagine my old processor running ArmA 3.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149734

Pinned thread on top of this forum. Really, what is the problem with quickly checking the sticky threads in each forum before making yet another thread?

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.