Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Controlling AI with Coloured Team - Are they going to improved more?

I like that now I can SHIFT+F1 to select team red, SHIFT+F2 to select team green and so on... much easier, though I hope we can re-map it somehow since I have a gaming keyboard.

But anyway, about controlling them and their behaviour. Will they at some later point of time when you order Team Red to MOVE somewhere, they will go to their destination with their own formation? or maybe have them move at different speed also (behaviour AWARE, speed LIMITED). This can be achieved in ARMA2 using High Command module, but I find using just HC feels, kinda detached somehow.

Other thing is, sometimes I want them to move 'forward'/left/right/back but I can only order them by clicking on the map or using the Command view. The 'Advance' order can only be use when they in-formation with you, so when they're already detached from you (by giving move order for example).

So far thats the only think that I can think off. Overall, I think they can act independent enough, I just think I need more control over them

If you want them to go slower when advancing just tell them to kneel down.

If there are a few things I would want which is totally doable within the current system and would solve several issues its:

AutoDanger indirect solution [Menu 2]:

Its seems to be linked to some extent to the target list [Menu 2]. If there is nothing in the list the "clear" usually comes just after the list is cleared.

I would love to have a [Menu 2] command to "Clear list". For example [All-2-0-1 (To have the clear order on the first next page so you dont trigger it by accident)] Forcing AI to forget about what they know and at the same time pull them out of auto danger until the enemy that maybe ran away shows up again. Why this isnt already in Arma series is beyond me.

Autodanager and the common thing that enemy AI gets away is the main reason commanding AI infantry on missions for many is more a pain than enjoyment. Its also very unrealistic when they walk around in auto danger because a fleeing AI is 1km away over a hill!

More All-Action commands [Menu 6]:

There are several actions you would want your AI squad to do after a contact that you currently are FORCED to do one at the time!

It would make much more sense to have:

All-Self heal [All-6-1] (If they can of course. Otherwise those that could not could just say negative or something)

All-Reload weapon [All-6-2]

All-Switch to AT weapon If you have it. [All-6-3]

All-Rearm at nearest crate, body etc. [All-6-4] (If there is no ammo for current weapon in X radius just grab a main enemy weapon nearby.)

More sensible single unit action choices [Menu 6]:

If you want a AI to reload,but he also has pickup weapon choices. There are loads of weapon choices before reload choice.

The only one that is very good is the heal option. Its always number 1 on the medic if people are injured. It would be great if more "common sense / most likely" where nr 1 choices depending on the soldier.

Example:

Soldier-6-1 = Reload

Medic-6-1 = Heal soldier or similar. (If someone needs it otherwise reload)

Repair-6-1 = Fix that truck. (If someone needs it otherwise reload)

Another thing that would be welcome is a Medic-6-2 = Heal ALL injured team members.

The point of making them be specific and not random is to enable people to remember key press patterns, people like me to make voice profiles for them or people using script programs like AutoHotkey to ease commanding.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

I personally would hope that team members assigned to a fire(colour) team can all sort into a single fire team icon and select though a single key(F1-F4) , while double tapping/key combination of the "F" keys should bring up the team member list. I personally think that is what fireteam assignments are for: to reduce player work load when operating a large team, because currently If I want to operating a team larger then 20 unit the unit list will just be pages of pages of search, not something that encourage team management TBH.

I once bring up this same topic in the pass, but for some wired reason there are people who think this will remove their ability to operating their team units using micro-management, which is bollocks, because first of all why do you even be bother to setup fire team? And secondly I fail to see how double tapping/clt+F keys to open team member list for single unit selection will impair their ability the ability to select single unit to control.

I would also like to point out that the AI command interfaces is getting worse, content sensitive menu is still bind on top of old command menu and now it even remove any visual reference to the "old" menu, in long terms, for the sakes of making the game better and more enjoyable, these two menu have to redisgn, but for now, unbind them and allow them to be call up separately please!