Sign in to follow this  
Faman

Not impressed

Some people must think that Alpha is just a cool codename for them being cool or something. Yo dawg, I'm the Alpha eh!

I hope the AI improves significantly through the developmental process. At long distance engagements, the AI seem to react ok, but at close to mid range engagements the friendly and enemy AI expose themselves far too often by coming out of positions of cover to engage the enemy - in full upright stances! Right now, the AI runs around needlessly far too much during close to mid range engagements. I want to see AI that reacts to suppressive fire realistically, and hits the dirt and seeks cover, and properly returns fire from positions of cover instead of standing upright out in the open and getting mowed down time and time again.

Got MOST settings on highest/Ultra and the game looks stunning in my opinion. During mid-day when the sun is brightest the vegetation looks great. Character models look nice too. I am pretty sure it looks much better than Arma 2.

Also, in terms of performance, this Alpha runs smoother for me than Arma 2 did at release. Again, it's alpha and feedback is welcome, but to judge the game so early is silly.

My god the influx of new cod kids is disheartening, we don't want these people associated with ARMA let them whine and go back to there arcade games. I worry for the Arma community I really do. 4 posts = new comer arma noob, vegetation my arse..

Some stuff I think they just ported over from Arma 2 (some textures etc). But I think they will certainly change a lot of it. At least I hope so.

your credibility dropped to zero whe you said the vegetation looked the same as arma 2.

yep...

When i first looked at this topic i thought it was going to be very good, a lot of replies, could be interesting.

however when i opened it i found that i was wrong, i am unimpressed.

this is an alpha, if you dont like it, then be patient.

When i first looked at this topic i thought it was going to be very good, a lot of replies, could be interesting.

however when i opened it i found that i was wrong, i am unimpressed.

this is an alpha, if you dont like it, then be patient.

I agree with this, not impressed by the standard of the OP.

ALPHA! Its a big word too most people, I guess....... This game has more promise than any other game, I have ever had the pleasure of alpha testing.

SIMPLE :391:

Arma 2 still beats it's younger Alpha sibling in terms of look and feel imo, Arma 3 is all shiny and new and looks awesome but seems to lack a certain feeling of depth to it?? hard to explain but Arma 2 looks like a solid simulator, where arma 3 looks like a pretty game, probably not the best way of explaining what I mean, this is simply from messing around on Utes... It could just be my old system renders A2 better than the more advanced A3 but im constantly in and out of both games.

Edited by Katipo66

Arma 2 still beats it's younger Alpha sibling in terms of look and feel imo, Arma 3 is all shiny and new and looks awesome but seems to lack a certain feeling of depth to it?? hard to explain but Arma 2 looks like a solid simulator, where arma 3 looks like a pretty game, probably not the best way of explaining what I mean, this is simply from messing around on Utes... It could just be my old system renders A2 better than the more advanced A3 but im constantly in and out of both games.

It's a bit harsh to compare this under 2 week old Alpha missing 90% of its content and features with the 4 year old feature-complete brother with expansions and a solid amount of stable mods, though. :p

Edited by Winfernal

I understand what Katipo is saying, this is kindof the same for me.

BUT! I've now tried to imagine A2 with Utes only, with basic opfor and bluefor soliders, and Humvees only. That would feel shallow too without the polish (I do remember my first times on A2).

I hope that in the end we will have the feeling of depth from A2 and the shine of A3. At least all the A2 features are here. :)

Its early yet, but everyone is entitled to air their own opinion, without the ‘nob set’ shouting them down..

The new features probably seem very good to those that have played mainly Vanilla A2, but for those of us that played a reasonably heavily modded A2, the features were more or less all there.

It looks better Arma 3, yes of course it does, did they really take the intro/menu screens from 'Full Spectrum Warrior' (original xbox version), who knows…:rolleyes:;)

Does it look a little like BF3, well yes, but don’t forget we still have the content…:o

Example, simple test:

I put 4 infantry units for each side around 300mtrs apart in a hilly area, with rocks, hillocks etc for cover. One waypoint each, that was run straight towards the enemies starting position, nothing else, no other waypoints or orders, simple test lots of us have done..

I am a civilian with a handy radio mast to climb up to view the action. Well off they go, running straight towards each other, nothing wrong in that, they haven’t been told to do anything else.

Right, they spot each other and start to engage, that’s a fair bit of engaging, 80 ai, all at once almost, especially considering I would like them to have, at least, an ounce of intelligence. Well they drop to the ground, expected, then crawl a little, expected again, then they shoot, expected again, then they raise a little move forward and keep repeating more or less until most are dead or wounded. A few taking a near flanking movement, well I think it was flanking, they didn't go out far enough for it really to be called that..

2035 with WW1 (1914-18) tactics, thats our new content for the ai :j:. The last time I played with ai like that was in OFPElite, again for the original xbox..

Really BIS look at some of the older ai mods and learn. It’s a totally different game when played with the right mods. Unfortunately the makers of those mods seem to have moved on, what are we to do for A3, don’t say ASR_ai either..:j: o.k. its fine for what it is, give me a break..:p

Arma 3 is great, it will be the best in this whole series, in a year or so. But please BIS, give us some decent ai.....:confused:.

Arma AI is the closest simulation of airsofters\paintballers playing milsim on the planet to date. self-preservation is obsolete..

Its funny ... after spending a few days on the Arma3 Alpha, I went back to finish a couple of campaigns on Arma2. Man, Arma2 seems so cheesy now. Not to take away from all the great times I've had playing Arma2 - but everything - the lighting, the textures the movements, the gesture animations are all superior in Arma3. The Alpha. Already with high-quality mods and missions. And all for only USD$34. Crazy.

Now I'm off to Arma 2 and Iron Front which give me still a good impression!

Alright, I know you're trolling now.

One striking difference to me is that the Arma3 world seems to be set in a more realistic scale than Arma2. Despite the faster movement, if something is 1km away, you really feel like you traveled 1km! Also, the terrain surface is much more detailed.

Yes, at first I was impressed by the video reviews on YouTube and I thought the Graphics were improved. But now playing the Alpha myself my first impression is I'm not impressed. And my second made me aware the Alpha is still scrappy and missing.

And I am playing on Ultra.. The vegetation looks the same as in Arma 2, maybe less but the housing looks nicer due to their style. I like it that you can blowup buildings now with rubble and stuff.

Now I'm off to Arma 2 and Iron Front which give me still a good impression!

Weren't you able to tell that from watching the YouTube videos? What is nice is that BIS has fixed a lot of the flickering issues that vegetation had in Arma 2.

Most the vegetation looks awesome to me, some of the bushes can use work though they're an eye sore.

Its funny ... after spending a few days on the Arma3 Alpha, I went back to finish a couple of campaigns on Arma2. Man, Arma2 seems so cheesy now. Not to take away from all the great times I've had playing Arma2 - but everything - the lighting, the textures the movements, the gesture animations are all superior in Arma3. The Alpha. Already with high-quality mods and missions. And all for only USD$34. Crazy.

Wait what? They ported ace/i44/uns/vte/etc already? Death animations superior? Thus far I would have to disagree.

movements? I disagree. I feel heavy carrying 86kg worth of gear and ammo in arma 2, thus far I feel like speedy gonzales no matter what.

Lighting ~ i agree

Textures... Personal bias.

Im not enough of an arma 3 "fanboy" like you guys to say arma 3 alpha is superior to a2 in everyway.

I will cede its superiority in certain area's.

@OP, it doesn't feel complete because it's an alpha. You don't get every toy to play with and to make impress you, you test alphas to make sure the core parts of the game work properly and give feedback, not moan about content and aesthetics.

Just wait until the full game. Also the destruction at the moment is very similar if not the same to OA's, so I'm not sure if you've even experienced it!