Sign in to follow this  
Faman

Not impressed

Yes, at first I was impressed by the video reviews on YouTube and I thought the Graphics were improved. But now playing the Alpha myself my first impression is I'm not impressed. And my second made me aware the Alpha is still scrappy and missing.

And I am playing on Ultra.. The vegetation looks the same as in Arma 2, maybe less but the housing looks nicer due to their style. I like it that you can blowup buildings now with rubble and stuff.

Now I'm off to Arma 2 and Iron Front which give me still a good impression!

Hey its not final, but each to their own. Maybe when the beta comes out it will give a more 'complete' experience.

It's an alpha, it's testing aspects of the game which do not include what you mentioned.

Screenshot please, also your computer specs. It's good you're giving feedback, now we need information so that we can fix it for people that might have problem same as you. For me Alpha is very stable (no crash) and quite pretty also, better than ARMA 2. Quite nice fps too

I played at 1440x900 resolution (my monitor native resolution is 1650x1050)

CPU: Intel Core2Quad 2.83ghz (it's old I know, but I can still play quite nicely)

GPU: ATI HD7770 1Gb

RAM: 8Gb

It's pretty nice with everything on high, 2000m VD 2000m ObjectVD, playing infantry showcase.

ArmA 3 definitely looks better than ArmA 2 on lighting alone. The grass and foliage also looks better. Although I believe the ground textures should be higher-res. (Looks bad at mid-range like A2's ground textures, but a lot less obvious in A2)

Comparison of OA's textures vs ArmA 3's textures, both using ArmA 3's updated engine at the same graphical settings:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2267/takiv.jpg (586 KB)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8853/arma3.jpg (651 KB)

You can clearly see the detail of ArmA 3's new higher resolution bump mapping and textures, taking full advantage of the new lighting.

your credibility dropped to zero whe you said the vegetation looked the same as arma 2.

And my second made me aware the Alpha is still scrappy and missing.

God damn, Sherlock. You did it again!

Well damn, i'm hella impressed. I can't play Arma 2 now without my eyes bleeding pixels. What the hell were you expecting? 100% photorealism?

ARMA III looks a hell of a lot better than ARMA II did at release and quite a bit better than ARMA II in its current state.. remember over the years ARMA II has been available they added quite a few patches to improve things and the graphics got a lot better.

ARMA III is a really good improvement its actually one of the better looking engines out there at the moment, but still we have to remember this is an alpha test we are testing the core engine mechanics and a couple of game features nothing else.. expect to see thigns get better as time goes on.

But i was really impressed as soon as I started up ARMA III. i was expecting a lot worse.

"It's an alpha; your argument is invalid whatever it may be!"

"It's an alpha; your argument is invalid whatever it may be!"
ut now playing the Alpha myself my first impression is I'm not impressed. And my second made me aware the Alpha is still scrappy and missing.

Come on. Surely this must qualify to the "It's an Alpha..." sentence. It's near the level of flaming.

Hello there

OP *is* allowed to have his/her own opinion, even if the majority do not agree.

The game is "scrappy and missing" but that's due to it still being in "alpha". For me, as an Alpha game it's an incredibly complete build.

It seems possible that the chap is having graphic issues if he is not seeing similar "impressive" graphics as he did on youtube. This could be that the 'tuber had a l337 rig and OP's cant match it or perhaps he has some issues with his config.

His post leads me to suspect that English is not his first language, let's give him a little slack and try to get him to enlarge on his post rather than blindly smacking him down?

Rgds

LoK

Yes, at first I was impressed by the video reviews on YouTube and I thought the Graphics were improved. But now playing the Alpha myself my first impression is I'm not impressed. And my second made me aware the Alpha is still scrappy and missing.

And I am playing on Ultra.. The vegetation looks the same as in Arma 2, maybe less but the housing looks nicer due to their style. I like it that you can blowup buildings now with rubble and stuff.

So it's all about graphics for you? :confused: Not interested in improved movement mechanics, improvent UI/customization, physics etc? :rolleyes:

LOL, great feedback for Alpha test. Your now off to play a fully released multi patched game instead of a limited 1 week release alpha test for better impressions .. I think everyone can do that at any time, thanks for dropping by.

I could very well understand criticism towards gamestyle or anything else of that matter but if there's one thing that is undeniable, then it's the hugely improved assets and textures! Especially the flora is the best I have seen in any game. Just look at it

If you have issues, forward them to the feedback tracker. You'll find it easily :)

I don't aggree. Arma 3 alpha looks much better than A2, and great in general. Like someone has said, only lightning is impressive and very improved.

I'm not too impressed either, but that's ok, I still look forward to the full version. What put me down a bit, is the infantry combat. I think it's too fast paced, the ai detects me when I can't see them, and they shoot through trees and bushes. It's also hard to aim for me, and firefights are usually over very quickly, often before I spot the enemy. I almost prefer Arma2 infantry combat with mods (ace, ai supress, etc). Maybe I just need to get used to it. I also think the vehicles move a little too slow and weird. I really try to have fun with the Arma3 infantry missions I've created, but it usually ends up with me dying and being frustrated. :( I need more practice I guess, my reflexes aren't what they used to be. (I'm not 70 or something, just 32) :)

I don't know about the underwater stuff, I'll have to wait and see how it plays out in the full version. My initial thought is that it's a waste of time implementing underwater stuff, I thought the diving showcase was too boring so I didn't finish it. But maybe some submarine warfare could be interesting in the future.

Stratis seems like a nice enough Island, not too interesting, but maybe the real Stratis isn't either. :) In general the graphics are fine, not mind blowing, but nice, and it runs very well. When I'm actutally playing Arma3 it looks very similar to Arma2, which looks good too so that's ok, Arma2 runs great for me too on my 2 year old pc, a fast cpu and ssd is key..

I don't like the inventory menu, it's more confusing than the Arma2 one for me, it's still not making sense to me and I've put in like 15 hours so far. And the pics of your stuff looks boring. Why not have some bigger, and better looking images, and arrange the menus in a more sensible way? Maybe you could have a image of your soldier character, and then have boxes arranged around that. It's not very interesting to look at your gear when all you see is small pixelated pictures. It would be nice to see how much weight you carry, and maybe make it so that you make more noise with heavy armor and equipment..

That aside these two things should be added imo:

-ability to hit with the rifle stock, should stun and damage the enemy and throw them back with a good ragdoll animation

-weapon rest/working bipod as in ace

Otherwise I think there's too little content in the alpha, couldn't BIS have added just a couple of missions other than the old E3 presentation ones?

I'm an old Arma2/OFP fan, and I'm still somewhat stoked about Arma3, so I'm just bitching a little because I want BIS to improve the game to my taste. :) What I'm really looking forward to is all the new units, BIS have crazy good modelling skills, both the vehicle interiors and exteriors looks amazing in Arma3. Also the new big island formerly known as Lemnos. And especially ACE and the other mods. I'm also expecting the campaign to be superior to the Arma2 ones, since Zipper5 is working on it. He made some epic Arma2 campaigns, great story and gameplay, only thing that they were lacking was voice overs.

Edited by Zorg_DK

Graphics are fine for me except the poor "satellite imagery" ground textures, but so what. As for trees etc. I'm pretty sure the drawing method will not change any more until release. I don't think they will change the whole system. Just do some fine tuning. OPs choice of the subject can be understood as trolling and starves for answers like "it's alpha".

I'm not too impressed either, but that's ok, I still look forward to the full version. What put me down a bit, is the infantry combat. I think it's too fast paced, the ai detects me when I can't see them, and they shoot through trees and bushes. It's also hard to aim for me, and firefights are usually over very quickly, often before I spot the enemy. I almost prefer Arma2 infantry combat with mods (ace, ai supress, etc). Maybe I just need to get used to it. I also think the vehicles move a little too slow and weird.

I don't know about the underwater stuff, I'll have to wait and see how it plays out in the full version. My initial thought is that it's a waste of time implementing underwater stuff, I thought the diving showcase was too boring so I didn't finish it. But maybe some submarine warfare could be interesting in the future.

That aside these two things should be added imo:

-ability to hit with the rifle stock, should stun and damage the enemy and throw them back with a good ragdoll animation

-weapon rest/working bipod as in ace

Otherwise I think there's too little content in the alpha, couldn't BIS have added just a couple of missions other than the old E3 presentation ones?

I'm an old Arma2/OFP fan, and I'm still somewhat stoked about Arma3, so I'm just bitching a little because I want BIS improve the game to my taste. :)

Zorg I feel just like you do about it and I agree with everything you mentioned. The increased difficulty in shooting is a bit over the top for me and I feel is actually quite a good idea IF you are playing PvP style...but if you are playing against the AI it's not as enjoyable since the fairness becomes very skewed (the AI is not hampered by recoil or sway). If you play alot against the AI like I do then try setting your difficulty all the way down to .1 for the enemy...try it as a test and see if it then will feel a little bit closer to arma2 (pre 1.60 patch).

yes, bigshot, I have tried lowering ai skills for friendly and enemy for the regular diff. sett. I'll try playing some missions when i have the time

GODDAMN..why is so hard to get it?it is ALPHA stage not even close to the final product..this is a stage to test the game and report bugs..this is not the final quality at all

GODDAMN..why is so hard to get it?it is ALPHA stage not even close to the final product..this is a stage to test the game and report bugs..this is not the final quality at all

so we can't comment on the alpha because it's alpha. :D

GODDAMN..why is so hard to get it?

Which has already been mentioned in this thread. It's interesting I read this scientifically hard-earned statement by forum newbies mostly. You've got my applause.