By default, 3rd person view should be enabled on:  

355 members have voted

1. 1. By default, 3rd person view should be enabled on:

• Recruit
    • Regular
    • Veteran
    • Elite
    • None

I think it should be limited to recruit. As well as markers on the map that follow your player. But that's just me.

talk about pointless threads...are you people telling me your so lazy that you don't want to be bothered using a simple drop down box in your class difficulty settings and clicking on a save button???? Who cares what it says "out of the box"...its an option for all...turn it on or turn it off, click save and be done with it. Servers are same thing...set it and forget it.

Even though i enjoy playing in both 1p and 3p.

It wouldn't help if i turned off my own 3p, if i get spotted and shot by someone looking over a wall with 3p. You could have 3p implemented where you see your guy right behind his back, without being able to see over walls. By doing that, most people would be happy.

No offense, but since you can change the difficulty options as you want, the pool its kinda pointles, you can make 3rd person enabled or disable don each difficulty as you want ^^

It's about the game's orientation ... how the devs see their game !

3rd when enabled comes with and exploit !

No offense, but since you can change the difficulty options as you want, the pool its kinda pointles, you can make 3rd person enabled or disable don each difficulty as you want ^^

yeah I know :) the issue seems to be that some people are hurt that options aren't distributed properly, and that server admins don't specifically cater to their needs.

yeah I know :) the issue seems to be that some people are hurt that options aren't distributed properly, and that server admins don't specifically cater to their needs.

Would there be a problem having a 3rd person where you can't see over wall, but you can still see your character? Like right behind him. I don't think so! We will still be able to see our own character, but no spotting over walls :)

Voted for Veteran.

However i dont see a reason why should it be a default view.

Players should always have the option to switch between first and third.

Nice and all but sadly you can still see through corners with it =/

edit: If he could tweak it a bit more closer to one of the shoulders, I'd be fine with it. Looks promising.

I have been using it recently for mission building and picture taking in A2. The position of the camera can be anywhere you like, just alter in the configs. Really a great little addon, hopefully its coming over to A3..

There’s that much coming over from A2, its like a whirl wind. After posting the post there, I checked for new mods/addons to download onto my storage, thats when I realised it it was there.

Great little addon..:)

I have 41 items on my storage at the moment for A3, thats without any missions/sp/mp or game-play mode type things.

How longs it been out !

Just need 'IVD' now, I use that alot in A2, would be very handy in A3 for many players I would think, or 'DVD', there's lots that I think will come over.. Brought 'IVD' over to have a look, it worked fine as is, but the hit on performance, just having it there, was really odd, must be conflicting somewhere..

I personally disagree, ARMA may look like its becoming more "game-ish" instead of sim-ish but I think thats purely visual which honestly needed a revamp anyway. Sure its an alpha and I'm sure bohemia will iron out all the kinks and what not. I also think that it may be considered to be like a game because people have been raving about all the mods such as wasteland and the such on it which certainly do turn it into a game

The 3rd Person View is a reason why i like this Game so much, and i like difficult games. It should be for every Level possible to choose. (enable/disable Function)

talk about pointless threads...are you people telling me your so lazy that you don't want to be bothered using a simple drop down box in your class difficulty settings and clicking on a save button???? Who cares what it says "out of the box"...its an option for all...turn it on or turn it off, click save and be done with it. Servers are same thing...set it and forget it.

You should educate yourselves on why there are default settings and how they affect the way people use software. If 75% of players think that 3rd person shouldn't be enabled on veteran difficulty and yet it is, it makes a needless number of people have to tweak their server settings and become frustrated with the game in general. It's like having "move forward" mapped to the enter key by default while everything else was like now: it generates pointless extra work for the majority of players that could have been prevented on a higher level.

Its a feature of the game that makes up for the unrealistic loss of situational awareness that a fixed first person view creates, IMO it should be enabled by default in all but the highest difficulty levels. I appreciate that it can be abused to look over/around obstacles, but thats an acceptable price to pay for the advantages, unless you're going for a full sim experience in which case you should be playing Elite anyway.

Seriously, the fixed first person view is less realistic than 3rd person, simply because it restricts your situational awareness compared to real life. Its fine if you have TrackIR but most don't.

Track IR doesn't give you better SA - where on earth did this come from? Let's get rid of this nonsense right off the bat - all T/IR does is move your head meaning you don't have to hold down alt, which I can do easily as well. The reason I like T/IR is for the immersion. I will say though that in the air, you have a little more SA and it makes it easier when landing as well.

As for 3rd person view, it's plenty cheating when you can lay on a roof looking with ease at the ground below you when your victim is unable to see you (see the dayz forums for tins of complaints here). As for the increase in SA that you would have in RL - we can dismiss this flase assertion too.

Being in 3rd person only puts ur camera view behind your player, you still look through the same screen and you still have the same FOV - want more FOV in first person? Press your Numpad minus key!

Now, there is nothing in real life that takes your eyes out of your head so you can see over obstacles or around corners - NOTHING at all. There is no SA loss where you say, "I can't see things where my eyes aren't, we need 3rd person"

3rd person makes it easier because you're looking from above your avatar and a higher view is a better view when you have objects around you blocking your view. It does not compensate for the loss of RL sa and it's ridiculous to think that.

3rd person view in Arma should never have existed. It's a bloody wall hack and destroys any immersion in the game what so ever. I would like to see it removed from all game difficulty settings without major changes to the mechanics of it, i.e no seeing around walls or giving you magical 360degree views when your in a vehicle.

Its probably the biggest immersion breaker for me period.

Recruit and regular only. I think it should be disabled by default in multiplayer. It's nice in sp though.

Yes, this is about what the default settings are. I never play with 3rd but I do like it when I make missions.

As far as im concerned it should be removed, but thats not realistic.

I would say Recruit, only on the lowest difficulty tbh.

One of the most challenging things in Arma is the transition from using 3rd to 1st person camera.

The difficulty level should reflect that, forcing you to learn the game in 1st person on higher difficulties.

I personally never ever play with 3rd, even if its available on the server, just not my cup of tee, but that doesnt mean other people doesnt like it aswell :)

Let it stay but only on the lowest difficulty.

Yes, this is about what the default settings are. I never play with 3rd but I do like it when I make missions.

And this ofc, its the only time i use it, especially if i change gear of the soldiers.

But if it was on the lowest difficulty we could still use it in the editor when we wanted.

What if the third-person camera simply was moved closer to the player so it didn't give you such a big advantage? Say Resident Evil 4-close?

Basically I think a third-person view is the best mode of vision for all video games because it lets you see the body of your character simulating the kinesthetic sense. Except for in shooters, when a first person view is the most intuitive.