By default, 3rd person view should be enabled on:  

355 members have voted

1. 1. By default, 3rd person view should be enabled on:

• Recruit
    • Regular
    • Veteran
    • Elite
    • None

Long story short, which difficulty levels should enable 3rd person view by default?

I voted recruit only, but if it were disabled on infantry and enabled on vehicles, I would be fine with it on regular as well.

, but if it were disabled on infantry and enabled on vehicles, I would be fine with it on regular as well.

This as a toggle in veteran, I think thats an Ok idea for Warfare in veteran mode where there is heaps of commanding going on as well.

Of course toggle removed entirely for Elite.

Disable crosshair and 3rd person on veteran.

However 3rd person can remain as a toggle on veteran. But crosshair is still a big no no.

On elite there should be zero helpers.

Dammit, read it wrong and thought it said "3d should be disabled at which levels" so said Elite.

Veteran: 3rd person off. Crosshair: on.

Elite: 3rd person: off. Crosshair: off.

I heard arguments why 3d person and crosshair should be enabled, so I can understand that viewpoint even if I dont want it.

What is of bigger concern is:

- permanent HUD WP info

- HUD show group

- auto report

Right now in veteran the map is a big console game of info.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149062-Everyone-gets-a-trophy-syndrome-has-come-to-ARMA&p=2327511&viewfull=1#post2327511

Regarding crosshair. I would like to have a local setting that overrides the server setting for them who have turned off their crosshairs. That way I could play on crosshair servers without having a silent rage :) That shouldnt apply the other way around imho.

Its a feature of the game that makes up for the unrealistic loss of situational awareness that a fixed first person view creates, IMO it should be enabled by default in all but the highest difficulty levels. I appreciate that it can be abused to look over/around obstacles, but thats an acceptable price to pay for the advantages, unless you're going for a full sim experience in which case you should be playing Elite anyway.

Seriously, the fixed first person view is less realistic than 3rd person, simply because it restricts your situational awareness compared to real life. Its fine if you have TrackIR but most don't.

Its a feature of the game that makes up for the unrealistic loss of situational awareness that a fixed first person view creates, IMO it should be enabled by default in all but the highest difficulty levels. I appreciate that it can be abused to look over/around obstacles, but thats an acceptable price to pay for the advantages, unless you're going for a full sim experience in which case you should be playing Elite anyway.

Seriously, the fixed first person view is less realistic than 3rd person, simply because it restricts your situational awareness compared to real life. Its fine if you have TrackIR but most don't.

This isn't a full blown simulation though, it's tipping more towards being a game. (VBS = Sim.)

CoD-----BF3-------------------ArmA--------------------VBS

And looking over walls with 3rd person is too much of an gamechanger, when it comes to "situational awareness" and tactital play.

Edited by Winfernal

Seriously, the fixed first person view is less realistic than 3rd person, simply because it restricts your situational awareness compared to real life.

No it doesn't. Hold alt and move your mouse.

There's nothing realistic about 3rd person. It doesn't increase any situational awareness, it just lets you cheat badly.

The problem is default difficulty and that you cannot change it as admin.

;2333826']The problem is default difficulty and that you cannot change it as admin.

It will probably be different when we have dedicated servers. Proper ones.

Edited by Winfernal

why should it be enabled as default?

I am not sure ti should be ni the game really as others have said it makes it too easy to look over walls and so on.. but it really should not be default option at all.. maybe they should change it a bit so as when you get close to cover it automatically zooms you back into first person and locks it like that nutil you move far enough away.

I think it's fine at it is, make it exclusive to Expert if you must.

Still the same tactics apply to third person servers as to first person servers, if you're a static unit on a dynamic battlefield, you will get flanked and defeated eventually. No matter how default or not it is, people enjoy this feature and will simply learn to edit their difficulty settings, because third person was advertised and third person is a popular feature, it's part of the package and people want the full package.

This isn't a full blown simulation though, it's tipping more towards being a game. (VBS = Sim.)

CoD-----BF3-------------------ArmA--------------------VBS

I'd go ahead and put BF3 further from COD and closer to Arma 3. :p Although Arma 3 as equidistant from BF3 and from VBS(2 2.0) makes some sense, all things considered, in terms of how the devs seem to be making it more "game" than "simulator" this time around while leaving the potential for closer-to-sim mods* built-in based on dev comments on game design and philosophy over the past few months.

* At this point I imagine that "simulator" is being left in more for the possibility of a VBS3 contract using RV4 than "fanatical" affinity for the idea of milsim at this point -- the money I've heard for a "VBS2 successor" contract is nothing that I would sneer at.

I think 3rd-Person-View should be enabled on Recruit and Regular. However, on Veteran and Elite I think 3rd-Person and CH should both be disabled. I see too many player on Multiplayer playing in 3rd-Person and lurking around corners and watching their own backs.

I hope more servers disable 3rd person camera, it's way too common right now. Arma3 is very playable in first person, unlike arma2 which was a bit clunky in that regard.

3rd person should have never existed, where is my "None" choice ? :D

We're looking for solutions that don't involve time travel :)

We're looking for solutions that don't involve time travel :)

I admit,you made me laugh :D

But dear friend,when you addict a population to something ... it's actually hard to change it ...

Talking about solutions :i suggest a zoomed in 3rd person with character to the left or right (like in Skyrim when you just zomm out a bit),but i've lost hope in BIS changing real things a long time ago :D

I admit,you made me laugh :D

But dear friend,when you addict a population to something ... it's actually hard to change it ...

Talking about solutions :i suggest a zoomed in 3rd person with character to the left or right (like in Skyrim when you just zomm out a bit),but i've lost hope in BIS changing real things a long time ago :D

I gotta admit.

I really enjoy watching my character in 3rd person :D It's not about the advantage or something. With this customization and all, watching your character is awesome!